BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexican Boat Import Permit Made Easy!
OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2014 at 08:48 PM
Mexican Boat Import Permit Made Easy!

For anyone bringing a boat into Baja that exceeds 14ft, you will needing to obtain a boating permit. I highly recommend that you use the following link to obtain the permit online:

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/CondicionesE...

You will need the following information to process the permit online:
- Passport or Passport Card #
- Boat Serial #
- Any lein information if you do not hold the title on the boat
- Trailer Serial #
- Motor (outboard in my case) Serial #
- Either a valid Visa or MC

This process took me 10 minutes to complete and the boat permit is good for 10 years.

For those of you (like me) who like to have everything ready to go before your trip and not have to waste time crossing south, this beats the alternative: to drive the boat down to either Tecate or Otay Mesa, cross the border to process all the paper work, pay the fees, and get have to get back into the northbound line to cross back into the U.S.....RIDICULOUS!

Disclaimer for you Nomads just waiting to pounce:
I realize this has been reported on before in another forum, but since we now have a boating forum a record of it belongs here for future reference. Plus, more posts keeps the boating forum afloat.
Edguero
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 09:32 AM

My boat stays in Baja, will this apply to me also? :?:
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 09:35 AM

Hey Edguero
Mine is also kept down there. I'm going to get a permit soon. Looks like you don't need the boat to do it on-line, just the information.
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 11:06 AM

OCEANUS- Thanks for posting this, I have had my 16 foot boat on the beach in Coyote Bay for over 40 years and still use it every year. Guess I better get the permit and bring it down. This is the first I've heard that you can do it this easily.
OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 01:56 PM

My boat permit came in the mail yesterday. The package from Banjercito has the following contents:

1) The official boat importation permit (colored document)

2) A sticker for the windshield that has what appears to be a chip contained in the center. I'm guessing that the newer, updated crossings like TJ will be able to read this chip much like a toll road transponder?

3) A boat importation agreement form that contains the rules and regulations regarding boat importation with a signature line at the bottom. You are required to return this signed document with copies of the paperwork you used to register the permit back to Banjercitos. Apparently this finalizes the process and officially activates the permit.

These permit documents look completely different than the ones I used to get from Discover Baja a number of years back. Plus, we never had the sticker/chip for the windshield.

My question is what if you are towing the boat with a different vehicle; one that does not contain the sticker? If you have all of the paperwork and documentation except for the windshield sticker, will you still be allowed to import the boat?
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 03:02 PM

Maybe the sticker is supposed to go on the boat windshield instead of the vehicle towing it.
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 10:18 PM

Banjercito?????
Edguero
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2014 at 01:53 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm going to get one.
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2014 at 07:46 PM

OCEANUS and others ,
all above that OCEANUS listed is correct . I am in La Paz right now and went to customes at Pichalingue yesterday cause I didnt have my trailer serial number or outboard #on the TIP issued in 2010.I provided both yeterday, surrenders my previous TIP and it was canceled . The gal at Aduanas then issued me a brand new spanking TIP for 10 years . Cost $52.20 and I'm done . Heres what Aduana told me to do with the sticker. She showed me the instructions and it is an illustration of putting it on your car windshield. She said it is okay to put it on your boat winshield but if you want to preserve because the sun will destroy it and fade the information you should put it in your captians bag and carry it with you .If asked to put it on ,comply with the request and be done.

Thats my two sense.:cool:
OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2014 at 09:02 PM

Thanks Lengua
I like the idea of keeping the sticker in the captain's bag. 10 years is a long time to have a permit, and the sticker does not appear to be one that would transfer easily if one were to get a new car in that 10 year time period.
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2014 at 10:28 PM

OCEANUS, you have made reference to your car several times . The TIP you are referring to is for your boat . Dont worry about the car,not necessary.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 10:05 AM

Thanks so much for the hot tips on getting my boat permit. Filled out the forms on line and emailed my registrations and passport copies. Received my permit from DF in less than 4 days!
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 10:08 AM

Hey Oceanus-I see what you mean about the sticker and where to put it on your CAR. I'm ignoring all that and keeping it separate.
amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 08:34 PM

Is that apply also to boats that just visiting Baja ?

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by amirravon]
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by amirravon
Is that apply also to boats that just visiting Baja ?

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by amirravon]

yes, that is what makes it legal.
David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2014 at 06:53 AM

Hey Martyman,
My new to me boat is a 15 foot Arima, I understand boats 15 feet or shorter don't need the new permit. Do you know where I can find the regulations on this? Yvonne and I are heading down the last week of May.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2014 at 08:55 AM

My boat is 15.5 feet. The above post says anything over 14 feet. The first post by Oceanus has a web address to check it out. I'll be in BOLA from May 11-22 maybe I'll see you. Call sign is Escalera.
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 01:19 PM

Oceanous, thanks so much for posting this. I ordered online sunday got the permit friday morning. Hassel free! Connie and Brett
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 03:00 PM

Also di it for my boat, was very quick although they did send a return email asking for me to send a copy of the title and proof of residence in the US. I already sent the registration, so I sent a copy of the title and an electric bill for my US home. I know they like electric bills!! They already sent the actual TIP by FedEx.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.