BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Diesel Mechanics in Baja?? What spare parts do you carry?
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 10:37 AM

Gosh all you Dodge guys are making me feel impotent, paranoid, scared, afraid,inadequate,inferior, impoverished, and I will never ever drive in Baja again...
LOL
have put on 25K on this vehcile about 1/2 in Baja... I have not had problem one with it....

BTW, you guys should run a ScanGaugeII or the like so you could read all engine functions right off the engine computer while running. Tells you a lot about the health of your system.

But maybe I should just stop posting so this thread could go away...

But really, I'm having fun with you guys... Like I said before its all good.
:cool:

Alan from San Diego
Tod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 11:47 AM

I am currently sitting in Todos Santos looking at my Ford 2006 350 with 6.0. Got a great deal on it with only 17,000 miles and immediately put a big chunk of change into it bullet proofing it. Love it and so far, so good. Plan on having it for many years. Good post about the spares.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Or you could just buy a Dodge and only take beer and flip flops....

Beer, flip flops and a replacement lift pump.

No amount of money could hire a diesel mechanic who could find the source of the (I'm convinced) air leak in my fuel return system on my '01 Cummins. It WILL NOT start if left parked up hill. It requires one, two or three cycles of the lift pump to provide fuel to the injector pump. I already replace both of these items at under 130.000 miles. 40 thousand later, I can hear the lift pump dying. Since I couldn't get it fixed, I just bought a good lift pump and stashed it under the seat. And, I've gotten real good at spotting sloping parking spots!:lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 12:31 PM

It wouldnt be a bad idea to carry an OBD II scanner for your truck complete with a list of what the codes are.

Half the battle in a failure is determining what the problem is, if it isnt purely mechanical. Few mechanics in Baja will be able to diagnose that, unless it is something obvious..........and it still make take lots of hours searching for the problem. The codes will narrow it down. At that point, you might be able to have a Nomad carry down an obscure, diesel related part while you wait. This could save you several days of down time.

OBD scanners have come down in price quite a bit, probably thanks to cheap, Chinese versions. Not much to go wrong in them, at least.

I carry a older programmer for my trucks "computer" that also reads, clears and stores codes. I have the 7.3L diesel. Not completely trouble free but I got pre-emptive on the known problems before they happened.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 12:49 PM

Good stuff ... thanks for sharing :):)

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 06:50 PM

The scanner is a great idea and quite cheap these days. I got a bluetooth module for $10 and run the program for andriod $5. By looking at the codes you can tell at times whether you should park it, drive it or a work around.

No diesel engine is perfect. All engines are paying the price for lower emissions. I'm not a global warming believer, but the 6.0 liter with all it's faults runs way more cleaner than the the 7.3. Cleaner is better.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DawnPatrol
LOL to the above... knew all the prior 6.0 issues that started in 2003 when they put the vehicle in the marketplace too soon... yes, those early models earned a bad rap.

By 2006 they had ironed most of the OEM issues out.

I found a pristine one with no OASIS issues and only 60K miles for $20,000 and included a $4000 camper shell.

Put $8K in it to address and upgrade all problems:
Bulletproof 6 phase FICM
Bullettproof Billet water pump
Bulletproof HD bypass oil cooler
Sinister coolant filter
ARP head studs
Blue spring fuel pump upgrade
etc etc

Now for $28K I have a vehicle that is running great and can burn the low sulphur diesel. Don't have to spend $65K on a new one that can't

I know everyone has their car make allegiance.....

Its all good

[Edited on 3-10-2014 by DawnPatrol]

where do you get a 4000 dollar camper shell? I bought a top of the line ARE last year only 2000. Just wondering what brand it is and what options would drive it up that high?
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Originally posted by

where do you get a 4000 dollar camper shell? I bought a top of the line ARE last year only 2000. Just wondering what brand it is and what options would drive it up that high?

Maybe a Callen.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by brewer
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Originally posted by

Maybe a Callen.

I guess, but usually Callen's are more than a shell.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.