Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Seguro Popular
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 06:07 PM

Thanks for the detailed history/explanation Pescador. I wasn't familiar with this program.

Seems reasonable. Sounds like it was intended to cover the basics (immunizations, minor illnesses) at minimal costs for low income patients.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 11:57 AM

Here's a link to Seguro Popular's catalog of services:

http://www.seguro-popular.salud.gob.mx/images/contenidos/Cau...

Here's a link in English that describes the program and eligibility requirements:

http://www.seguro-popular.salud.gob.mx/index.php?option=com_...

"The future ain't what it used to be"
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 04:07 PM

good to know that one's "concubines" are considered part of the nuclear family.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 04:09 PM

thanks for sharing this info, Monoloco! Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 07:50 PM

Maybe I'm just jaded by the cost of procedures in the U.S. but the cost of basic procedures from the good doctors and the good hospitals in Mexico are basically cheap enough for me to pay out of pocket for those, too. So, dealing with the questionable quality at Seguro Popular approved facilites for basic procedures isnt worth it to me.

I gotta ask the wife what I paid for my first colonoscopy down here at the top hospital in Hermosillo, Sonora. It was about one quarter of the cost of my last one in the States. Included some minor benign polyp removal. Included GENERAL ANESTHESIA, of which they didn't inform me, in advance. I've never needed that in the past. Always a surprise or two in Mexico. There, that's probably enough details when it comes to colonoscopies, eh? :biggrin:

Even the generic drugs at the Farmarcia Similares are so inexpensive that I dont bother with the hassle of actually trying to go through a health care plan for drugs.
dtutko1
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 09:37 AM

It would seem that if you met the financial requirements of a Visa Permanente, you would not qualify for Seguro Popular.

Dorado Don
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 09:51 AM

not true. In some cases, the enrollment is free regardless of your financial information.

[Edited on 3-14-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 09:55 AM

You know Hook, I have to admire you paying out of pocket. There are some very well off Americans in Ensenada that want to get everything for free through Seguro Popular.
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Maybe I'm just jaded by the cost of procedures in the U.S. but the cost of basic procedures from the good doctors and the good hospitals in Mexico are basically cheap enough for me to pay out of pocket for those, too. So, dealing with the questionable quality at Seguro Popular approved facilites for basic procedures isnt worth it to me.

I gotta ask the wife what I paid for my first colonoscopy down here at the top hospital in Hermosillo, Sonora. It was about one quarter of the cost of my last one in the States. Included some minor benign polyp removal. Included GENERAL ANESTHESIA, of which they didn't inform me, in advance. I've never needed that in the past. Always a surprise or two in Mexico. There, that's probably enough details when it comes to colonoscopies, eh? :biggrin:

Even the generic drugs at the Farmarcia Similares are so inexpensive that I dont bother with the hassle of actually trying to go through a health care plan for drugs.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtutko1
It would seem that if you met the financial requirements of a Visa Permanente, you would not qualify for Seguro Popular.
There is no restrictions due to income, they can choose to charge a fee based on your income but I don't believe that anyone can be disqualified because of their income. The most that I have heard of anyone being charged is 1500 pesos. As far as residente permanent, if the holder's income status changes from what it was when applied for their immigration status doesn't change. If your income goes to zero, you are still residente permanente, the income requirement only applies at the time you file for it. In theory one could have $120,000 in the bank which would qualify them for permanent residency, once residency was obtained they could use that money to buy a house, a boat, or gamble it away at Caliente.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 09:57 AM

"In some cases................."

Boy, that's Mexican bureaucracy in a nutshell. Just fill in the function and it applies. :yes:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
You know Hook, I have to admire you paying out of pocket. There are some very well off Americans in Ensenada that want to get everything for free through Seguro Popular.
Quote:

I view Seguro Popular as more of a safety net in case of a major health issue.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 10:15 AM

But if it's a major health issue, would you really want to use a Seguro Popular source?

We carry catastrophic insurance with a high deductible for that kind of thing.

Of course, everyone's financial situation is different. Can't disregard that, when it comes to health care.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
But if it's a major health issue, would you really want to use a Seguro Popular source?

We carry catastrophic insurance with a high deductible for that kind of thing.

Of course, everyone's financial situation is different. Can't disregard that, when it comes to health care.
We had one of those high deductible catastrophic policies, the net effect was that it consumed such a significant portion of our incomes, it made it hard to afford the out of pocket expense of routine medical care, and left us in the position of actually self rationing needed procedures.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Nothing's free, somebody somewhere is paying... Perhaps the clinic will accept donations when services are provided so non-Mexicans will always be welcomed happily?
It's true that nothing is free, but perhaps Mexico can afford to provide healthcare to it's people because it's not wasting money on a corporate welfare state and trying to police the rest of the planet.

Mexico can't provide healthcare to its people, not to the standards that NOB people might expect anyway. Only public hospitals accept that Seguro, and as others noted, some of them (many!) are not places where you would want to be.

Yes, somebody is paying, there is a sliding scale tied to income and to housing conditions. If memory doesn't fail me, US social pension places you into the highest income tier - which is still a relatively low annual premium 5 or 6 thousand pesos a year. The system is poorly designed, and beside income there are naive questions on housing conditions, i.e. rental living, no DVD etc, and answering "yes" to those makes you look poor, on the paper.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 07:21 PM

If you live south of Ensenada, you will have to depend on the Mexican healthcare system unless you want to pay a $1600+ American Dollar ambulance ride To the US border. DavidE was an exception as an El Rosario company offered a free ride for him to the border. Unless you have plenty of money to pay out of pocket for private hospitals and/or you are sick enough to require life flight and have the insurance.

Actually the hospitals are getting better in Mexico and the doctors aren't any better in a private hospital than a public one, because working in IMSS, ISSTE, ISSTECALI or Seguro Popular you have a guaranteed income so most good physicians in Mexico have that job as a primary job. All in all, things are improving, equipment is newer and hospitals are being revamped and new ones built in the public sector. The annual premium is for IMSS, at the rate you are mentioning. Generally Seguro Popular charges little or nothing for its coverage.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 06:39 AM
Can I sign up in Loreto?

Does anyone from Loreto have first hand experience in signing up?
If you can not sign up in Loreto, where is the nearest location to do so?
What photocopies do I need to bring?
Thanks,
Howard

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 08:22 AM

I am sure they mentioned Loreto when we recently changed locations from La Paz to San Ignacio. Outside the hospital in Loreto, there is most likely a big sign saying SEGURO POPULAR.

We had to take proof of residence, document with photo and in our case, the receipt from the bank showing we had paid our fee.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 08:42 AM

In Loreto the new hospital on the highway is Seguro Popular affiliated, I believe. That is where you'd go to apply.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.