BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: WHAT'S WITH THE MEXICAN KEY LIMES PRICES IN BAJA!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 05:15 PM
WHAT'S WITH THE MEXICAN KEY LIMES PRICES IN BAJA!

I just saw a Facebook post for key limes in Mexico costing 80 pesos a kilo.
Normally they are 10-15nm per kilo!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 05:22 PM

another take on it (maybe the same?)

Lime prices have jumped from under 10 pesos ($0.75) per kilo (2.2 pounds) last month to nearly 30 pesos per kilo in Mexico (link in Spanish), rising by as much as 200% in some parts of the country (link in Spanish). As recently as 2012, the going price was closer to 8 pesos per kilo (link in Spanish).
+
Climate change and cartel warfare are mainly to blame for the lime price hike.
+
The polar weather gripping North America has crept into much of Mexico and been deleterious to the country’s lime growers. At least three of the country’s biggest lime-producing states, Colima, Guerrero and Oaxaca, have already suffered from shrinking harvests (link in Spanish) related to the poor weather. “If prices rise, my information suggests it has to do with the climate,” Mexico’s economics secretary Ildefonso Guajardo said last week. And the high prices could continue through the winter.
+
Meanwhile, escalating violence in Michoacán, one of the country’s most important citrus-growing regions, has made harvesting and transporting limes harder. In some cases, gangs have demanded makeshift taxes from growers and distributors in the region, which drives up production costs that are passed on to consumers. In others, distributors have refused to transport limes to and from the area.
+
Lime prices in Mexico City suffered a similar fate last year, jumping from 8 pesos per kilo to 40 pesos per kilo at one point. Lime prices also suffered dearly when cargo theft jumped 50% from 2009 to 2010, which jacked up insurance prices for trucking companies transporting, among other things, limes. Some markets in Mexico City were forced to sell limes for over 58 pesos per kilo, or more than quadruple the ordinary rate.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 05:25 PM

I go out and shake my tree:P

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 05:26 PM
Limes

From ensenada.net

Article posted March 4, 2014
by Elizabeth Vargas

A decline in Mexican production , or sour lemon, in the State of Colima, where most citrus is harvested, and has been affected by a plague , together with phenomena such as grabbing the big chains, has remained several weeks price in almost 50 pesos per kilo .

In the case of Ensenada, the phenomenon is already resented housewives, restaurateurs and especially clams and seafood carts , where lemons are one of the main ingredients in this preparation.

According to data from the District 001 Sagarpa this increase in the price hits Baja California, because we are not a major producer of citrus to have been only 59 acres of lemon trees statewide .

The main producer of Ensenada with 37 acres and the remaining municipalities of 4-7 acres of lemons.

Added to this is that neither is production season so for now the option is to purchase the lemon price 50 pesos per kilo or find other varieties like lemon yellow is trading at 20 pesos the kilo .

Lemon production in the State of Baja California

37 Ensenada

06 Saint Quentin

05 Tecate

07 Rosarito

04 Tijuana

Article posted March 9, 2014
by Elizabeth Vargas

Although the plague Baja California Golden Dragon or Huang long bing (HLB ) attacking citrus plants if the problem is not out of control , said the Managing Agricultural Development in Ensenada Abel Bojorquez .

This pest is the same that has ravaged other producing entities and a substantial increase in the price of lemon, which are most impacted by this pest trees.

Although California is not a citrus producing state , if you have some crops lemon , orange and tangerine mainly so it works in coordination with Sagarpa , Sefo and the Local Board of Plant Protection , with whom they have a sampling program across producers ranches to San Quentin.

In the samples found in table strategically placed traps and this has thrown that is controlled , there is no serious problem or infected orchards .

However, after the problem that exists in other states to the Midwest , the March 10 meeting with the Local Board will be held to review the specific topic and discuss whether strategies should be modified .

Baja California has suffered serious problems from pests such as olive fly that took the olive orchards in early 2000 or Whitefly in Mexicali that damaged the cotton crop , and other pests that have affected the vine or tomato.

Sample is to know how serious is the problem and establish control rates .

[Edited on 3-14-2014 by bajaguy]

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 05:29 PM

The price of a regular lime (larger than Key Lime) in BC is about 65-75 cents :O:O:O

I promised myself this year that I would not get upset about this tragic issue....as there is nothing I can do about it until I move to Mexico :light:

And even there it is a sign of the end of the world as we know it.

Don't believe everything you think....
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 05:45 PM

we shake our tree also....in mulege you can drive around until you find a tree that is dropping fruit all around it...stop, harvest, squeeze, drink.....too easy!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 05:53 PM

Limes are expensive all over the place and seem to be going higher. Last summer in Italy one nice lime was about 3.5 euros...or about $5 US. You made it last for tea and/or c-cktails.

p.s. Limes are 3/$1 at Safeway on the Oregon Coast.

[Edited on 3-14-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 06:55 PM

In Buena Vista, I know DTbushpilot has a very large lime tree in the parking lot of his condo (but you need an entry code to open the garage gate.)

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 07:09 PM

okay the entry code is

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 07:10 PM

Today, coincidently, my worker mentioned the local key lime, they call them lemons, cost around 45 pesos per kilo.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 10:10 PM

What complete mierda. There is no way that the cold snaps in the US have reached the states of Guerrero, Colima or Michoacan.

I just did a brief look and the temperature in Colima hasnt dropped below 60F all winter.........AT NIGHT!!!

The backyard citrus harvest in San Carlos has been in full swing for some time. We are hundreds of miles further north than those other states and we havent had a night below 50 degrees since early December. It's been the warmest winter, coupled with the lightest winds, than any local can remember.

I suspect price fixing. Even if the cost of insurance doubled for truckers, it would amount to so little when defrayed over all the limes (and other produce) carried. Where's the quadrupling of other produce if it is insurance related? So much produce comes from Sinaloa, which is a cartel hotbed. Where's the cartel related increases on the flavorless tomatoes we are forced to buy?

I guess it's possible that the cold has affected harvests in Florida and Texas. But I cant imagine it justifies a quadrupling of prices. Limes are grown in Central and So. America, too.

Another NAFTA shafta???
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 11:35 PM

So much excitement... Who and why would need a kilo of lemons in his fridge, I wonder...
flyguy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 11:49 PM

Up here in Canada, limes are $1 each and double or triple that if you want organic... i did find bags of key limes at Walmart from Vietnam that had juice in 1 of every 10 or so lol :O
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 12:16 AM

Juicy green limes in our markets (SoCal, USA) are 33 cents each.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 04:05 AM

Not sure what they cost here in MS, can get 'em at Wal Mart in small bags. Maybe a lb.? Key limes are the only limes with seeds. Have some seeds in potting soil, expect 'em to sprout in a week or so. They're supposed to produce limes in about three years.:D
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 06:10 AM

We're swimming in backyard limes right now.

Hey, maybe I should smuggle limes NORTH next week!!! :lol:
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 06:22 AM

slightly OT - but I once was in a market and had a lime in one hand and a lemon n the other. I walked up to the produce worker and raised the lime and asked "que es?". He said "lemon"; I raise the lemon and he says "lemon". Huh?
There must be two different words?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 06:25 AM

Hook, here's what you can get for them in the States.

Safeway lime prices...from Mexico = .50 each

Trader Joe's 'Organic' 6 per bag @ $2 = .33 each

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
stanburn
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 07:16 AM

Here in The state of Colima there is no cold snap. The problem is a plague called the Yellow Dragon that has cut production. here they re beginning to call limes green gold due to the high prices.

Don't know where these so called "reporters" do their research....cold snap, please. I must admit that yesterday as pretty darn cold for los colimenses....it was 58 and we were all bundled up.

Stan
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 07:20 AM

Damn, Trader Joe's cutting into my profit margin!!! :fire:

I could fill my truck box to the brim with limes and sell them at some Scottsdale farmer's market and make a boatload!! Pay for all my Scottsdale excesses next week!!!

Hey, the Lexus Wives of Scottsdale probably dont shop at TJs, anyway. They're probably paying 1.50 per lime at Whole Paycheck. They'd gladly pay a dollar a lime!

I'll be rich! The Lime Baron!! The Lime King!!! Me, and Carlos Slim and the Russian oil tycoons!!!!

"The Man Who Cornered the Scottsdale Lime Market" back in '013 is what they'll write! I'll get a seven figure picture deal from Hollywood!! The Biography Channel will come calling!!!

THIS is why I come to the Nomads board!!! Not for the dog stories and the husband banter, like I thought!!! THIS IS MY CALLING!!!!!
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.