Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Part of the lore is that Bob Sloan could sail the boat single handed. And that included raising the main and fore gaffsails.
He must have been a very strong man. Wooden ships and iron men as they say...

Sloan/Africa lore:

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-06-20/local/me-6302_1_spike...

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Part of the lore is that Bob Sloan could sail the boat single handed. And that included raising the main and fore gaffsails.
He must have been a very strong man. Wooden ships and iron men as they say...

Sloan/Africa lore:

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-06-20/local/me-6302_1_spike...

"Sloan has gone back to nursing at a Newport Beach pain clinic."

The rich doctor connection.

[Edited on 3-25-2014 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 12:35 AM

Quote:

Yes indeed. I was a bartender in those Newport pain clinics for fifteen years.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Yes indeed. I was a bartender in those Newport pain clinics for fifteen years.

And I was patient!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 01:27 PM

Nice seeing you posting fishbuck... fyi, Islandbuilder is one super great guy, and I am sure if you make the drive over you won't regret it.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 09:27 PM

Thanks David.
Pompano really got to me with his photos of the "America" replica sailing San Diego bay. I wish I could afford his model too.
Sailed through that same spot many a time.
I've been incredibly busy up here in Washington. But of course my heart is still in Newport Beach Ca. and my humble little fishcamp in San Quintin.
I live a Baja life in my head by reading about everyones adventures and hope to add 1 of my own this summer if I can.
And I've got to get over to Friday Harbor and maybe a little sailing to soothe the soul. It's only 2 ferry rides and 2 islands away.
And quite possibly they have a "Pain clinic" I can check into for a few hours. And I'll reminece about my days as a Tail Ship Sailor with liberal doses of "pain killer"...
"Those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end..."

Schooner or later I'll get my ship together!:cool:

Majorcynik

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 06:52 AM

Maybe a "fisherman"???
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Majorcynik
Maybe a "fisherman"???

Ding ding ding... we have a winner folks!:yes:

Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 05:54 AM

Sorry Fishbuck, I've been off-grid for a few days while in the ship canal getting some electronics to march in formation, didn't see your question.

First of all, I don't own Spike. She belongs to a fellow who lives in Friday Harbor, who also owns a couple of restaurants as well (he told me he need the income from them to keep the Spike going). Gary acquired the boat in Hawaii, where she was working in day charter. She was played out and had/has a long list of deferred maintenance issues. As I recall she crossed the Pacific east bound as deck cargo.

Since buying her Gary has had her re-rigged, the hull rebuilt and is finishing rebuilding her decks now. He has returned many years to her and has, I"m sure, spent a good deal of money in the process.

She is an inspected vessel, and does, as Pompano shared, day sails and custom charters out of Friday Harbor. She is joined by the wonderful classic Alden Schooner, Dirigo II, who also does day charters, and our 1924 Ted Geary designed powerboat, Westward which we hope to begin a combination of day trips and overnight charters in June.

In late April I leave for Alaska in our other boat, Catalyst, built in 1932 for the University of Washington, for our Alaska charter season.

Both Catalyst and Westward still have their original engines. Westward has a 1923 Atlas Imperial (we think it's the oldest one in the world), and Catalyst a 1932 Washington Estep. Catalysts' engine weighs 20,000 pounds and is rated at 110 HP. We cruise at 7.75 knots at 410 RPM and burn less than 4 GPH.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder
Sorry Fishbuck, I've been off-grid for a few days while in the ship canal getting some electronics to march in formation, didn't see your question.

First of all, I don't own Spike. She belongs to a fellow who lives in Friday Harbor, who also owns a couple of restaurants as well (he told me he need the income from them to keep the Spike going). Gary acquired the boat in Hawaii, where she was working in day charter. She was played out and had/has a long list of deferred maintenance issues. As I recall she crossed the Pacific east bound as deck cargo.

Since buying her Gary has had her re-rigged, the hull rebuilt and is finishing rebuilding her decks now. He has returned many years to her and has, I"m sure, spent a good deal of money in the process.

She is an inspected vessel, and does, as Pompano shared, day sails and custom charters out of Friday Harbor. She is joined by the wonderful classic Alden Schooner, Dirigo II, who also does day charters, and our 1924 Ted Geary designed powerboat, Westward which we hope to begin a combination of day trips and overnight charters in June.

In late April I leave for Alaska in our other boat, Catalyst, built in 1932 for the University of Washington, for our Alaska charter season.

Both Catalyst and Westward still have their original engines. Westward has a 1923 Atlas Imperial (we think it's the oldest one in the world), and Catalyst a 1932 Washington Estep. Catalysts' engine weighs 20,000 pounds and is rated at 110 HP. We cruise at 7.75 knots at 410 RPM and burn less than 4 GPH.

Thank you for the update. I can attest to the deferred maintenance part a little. I'm sure it got worse over time.
But glad that the boat is in good hands now and getting some TLC.
The saga continues...

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 10:26 AM

Great discussion on those fine classic boats, fellows. I know you'll agree that Nothing beats messing about in boats!

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder

Islandbuilder, your charterboats, 'Westward' & 'Catalyst' are truly classics to cruise the inland passage from the San Juans to Alaska. What a great trip that would be...reminds me of FDR & Great Gatsby times. I've been on Alaskan cruises with Co-pilot and we've taken the grandkids on the Norwegian Jewel, but your vessels would be much more adventurous, personal, and fun...especially on that beautiful route. Can't beat the 'feel' and romance of classic boats. Later this summer after other obligations, we may sign up. I took the liberty of finding some photos of each and hope you don't mind me posting them here.

The 'Westward'

The 'Catalyst'

"Bon Voyage, amigos."

p.s. We were getting close to you on this trip a couple summers ago. Went RVing from Coyote Bay, Baja to Alaska...by way of the Olympic Peninsula. Fun times we had while '..sitting on the docks of some bays..'

Exploring the salmon possibilities...

Taking a more interesting bike ride..

Another great place to bike...and eat. Seattle waterfronts.

Small boat sailing in Coyote Bay...for a few years we had our own 'regattas'. Mostly a bunch of Hobie and Prindle 16' cats. Those were the days of fun in the sun!

I once asked a cat dealer in San Diego what the difference was between a Hobie and a Prindle? He said, "A Prindle is just a Hobie built better."

Some days the wind died, but our enthusiasm was still high....so, we towed the boats out into mid-bay to find the wind! Hey, anyway is a good way to have fun in Baja.

I never see any regattas these days and wonder why?? Maybe be too much tv and internet?

[Edited on 3-28-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 08:46 AM

Thanks for your kind words concerning our boats Pompano!

Not to hijack this too much, but a bit of history.

Westward was the very first boat that was purpose built to run adventure charters in Alaska. Her first charter, in 1924, was with George Eastman (Eastman Kodak) who took her to the Pribilof Islands to photograph birds.
Westward circled the globe in the 1970's, and after a major refit she circumnavigated the Pacific Basin in 2006/07. On that trip her longest crossing was 4000 miles from Cabo to French Polynesia, she motorsailed to stretch her 3000 mile range.

Catalyst was built in 1932 as the University of Washington's first oceanographic research vessel. Her first season took her to the Aleutians. At that time the oceanography department didn't exist. All the research being done concerned the chemical composition of sea water in various locations and depths and was conducted by the chemistry department. Hence her name, Catalyst.

I feel that I am just a temporary curator for these historic vessels, and my primary goal is to leave them in better shape than they were in when my period of stewardship began.

To tie things back to topic just a bit, Kit Africa has sailed as Westward's captain on several occasions.

[Edited on 3-29-2014 by Islandbuilder]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.