Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Food
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 11:50 AM
Baja Food

Ok here we go, first time posting pics so hopefully this works.
I'll try and review all the places we stopped. I'll review honestly and in our most objective opinion.

Baja Jardines Restaurant is Awesome, the fish the Mexican plates are all awesome!

We picked up some breakfast burrito's from Baja's Best in El Rosario on our drive down the next morning. They are good, not too friendly in there but good food and not too pricey.

In Jesus Maria we ate at a few places during our travels. La Palapa on the west side of the road coming into Jesus Maria was good. They had a great taco salsa platter and the carne asada tacos were awesome! We liked it and would def eat there again in the future

Taqueria Kassandra which is north of the Gas Station in Jesus Maria was good. We had a couple tacos there and it was very good. We only stopped there cause La Palapa across the street was closed. But were happy with our food and would go back.

Carmelita Tamales are awesome, they were closed this time but always like eating there in the past, no recent food report

San Ignacio
Tootsies Bar and Grill - It was good, but we weren't crazy about it. Heard so much good about it and we thought it was good but pricey. Next time we'd try other places in town but would still go back to Tootsies, just not our fav.

Santa Rosalia
Ate some Al Pastor Tacos at the taco stand next to El Boleo Bakery. They were AWESOME! Hard to beat a fresh Al Pastor taco with fresh salsas

Mulege
Asadero Danny's - This place has to be one of the best taco places we have eaten at. We eat here every time in Mulege and are always happy to go back. The people working there are great.

Hotel Serinidad - Great food but lousy service. I had a huge piece of fresh yellowtail which was awesome! My girl had a bowl of soup and was happy with that.
Breakfast the next morning was standard and good.
I'd eat here again even dealing with the lousy service. There was one guy on the floor, serving, taking orders, and bartending. He was great but needed help to do the job good.

Bertha's on Playa Burro in Bahia Conception was very good. Great views, the food was great too. We both got Chicken Tostadas and were happy.

I'll post another for Loreto since we were there for a while and have plenty to say about it!!
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 12:04 PM
seautiful Pics

But why is there is no specific location information?

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 12:14 PM

Those look like the perfect tostadas!! Thanks for the pics!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 02:18 PM

Great restaurant photos...

but... before you begin to upload to Photobucket, you need to set the upload size to 800 or 640 pixels... otherwise they are wider than the Nomad page...

Full how to details in the first post on the Photo forum here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65085

Thank you, and I am here to assist if needed!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 02:28 PM

I'm Hungry!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 05:06 PM

A few observations.

Jardines Restaurant is really great. Carlos and Esmeralda, when they are present, make sure everything is going great.

As for Baja's Best, if Ed the owner is present, you will really not feel like no one is friendly. He's got a rather elderly mother living up in California, and makes frequent trips up to see her. His excuse is that she will drive down to El Rosario and visit him. if he does not show up on a regular basis.

Hotel Serenidad, still has decent food, but if you stay there you will quickly see how tired the old rooms are. That said, there are several restaurnts in Mulege and surroundings that blow the socks off of Serenided. In town, Scottys, and Los Equipales are both better. Out of town, Ray's. if it's still operating will, too.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
A few observations.

Jardines Restaurant is really great. Carlos and Esmeralda, when they are present, make sure everything is going great.

As for Baja's Best, if Ed the owner is present, you will really not feel like no one is friendly. He's got a rather elderly mother living up in California, and makes frequent trips up to see her. His excuse is that she will drive down to El Rosario and visit him. if he does not show up on a regular basis.

Hotel Serenidad, still has decent food, but if you stay there you will quickly see how tired the old rooms are. That said, there are several restaurnts in Mulege and surroundings that blow the socks off of Serenided. In town, Scottys, and Los Equipales are both better. Out of town, Ray's. if it's still operating will, too.

I would like to add that Ed's (Baja's Best) in El Rosario has always been friendly and we have eaten there many times... even when Ed is not there. However, it may be possible that Yolanda (his wife) was not having a good day? No excuse, just an explanation.

Since there were no photos of Ed's place above, here are a few:

Lobster 'Ed's Style' (not on menu)

Ed behind the bar (I recommend his Tequila Sunrise, made with fresh squeezed orange juice)

Ed's House Sauce and Salsa

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 05:54 PM

People and restaurants def have bad days. I just report what we observe while travelling through, 1 negative review is no big deal against lots of good ones. But if there is a trend then...
We ate at Islas in Loreto because of great recommendations but found it to be poor. I'd bet more often then not its awesome, but we got it on a bad night. Nobody would have appreciated the food that we were served, and I don't think my standards are unreasonable. Looking at reviews on a travel site had a bunch of excellent and a bunch of poor, which explains it perfectly for me, they are hit or miss.

BTW how are the sauces/salsas from Baja's Best?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 05:01 PM

Never been to Isla's. How long have they been there?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

but... before you begin to upload to Photobucket, you need to set the upload size to 800 or 640 pixels... otherwise they are wider than the Nomad page...

Full how to details in the first post on the Photo forum here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65085

It's not the end of the world, David. Just hit "control" and " -" once or twice on posts with slightly wider photos and the width is no issue. Control + when you're done and you're back.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

It's not the end of the world, David. Just hit "control" and " -" once or twice on posts with slightly wider photos and the width is no issue. Control + when you're done and you're back.
AND...grab your 300's :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 05:49 PM

300's ?

Just trying to help folks follow Nomad requests and make viewing this site fun and enjoyable. When you shrink the screen down to fit oversized images, then the text is harder to read. BajaNomad has asked that linked photos be under 800 pixels... To post bigger is over the size of the forum. It is so easy to do it right, just click on the little gear symbol. 80%+ of Nomad photo posters do it, and their photos are wonderful, and reading the captions doesn't require sideways scrolling.

Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 12:46 PM

TLBaja79.........thanks again for the reviews. Please keep it up. Also the pics are great.

Fred
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 01:43 PM

We've all got maybe 10,000 more good ones to go!

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
jayme

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 02:48 PM

Bajahowodd. Last month we sent eight people to Isla's, as the last time we ate there (2yrs. ago) food was good. All eight said they would not go back. They said that even the soup was not good.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 05:02 PM

Then, I guess I'm going to stick with Domingo's Place, where I can walk to when we stay at Hacienda Suites.

Once in the last 12 years or so, our meal was mediocre. That said, we have enjoyed many a meal there.

[Edited on 4-2-2014 by Bajahowodd]
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 04:38 PM

Love these kind of posts. Thanks for taking the time!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 05:10 PM

Howard,

When it first opened after being El Nido's for years it was as good as El Nido's. About 4 years ago we tried it again and had a mediocre meal, service was ok. Prices were over $20 for a rib-eye as I recall.

Then you reviewed it favorably and we gave it another try, with the similar mediocre meal. The meat had no sear on it, the vegetables were "sysco" type cauliflower/carrot/broccoli mix, and the baked potato came wrapped in foil with the steamed consistency you get.

If that wasn't bad enough they allowed the "Villa" time share guy to hassle our table, no mas.

Sizzler would have been better at a fraction of the cost.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Then, I guess I'm going to stick with Domingo's Place, where I can walk to when we stay at Hacienda Suites.

Once in the last 12 years or so, our meal was mediocre. That said, we have enjoyed many a meal there.

[Edited on 4-2-2014 by Bajahowodd]

[Edited on 4-3-2014 by tripledigitken]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.