Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: a Little Whale Ditty from Ojo de Liebre
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 04:59 PM
a Little Whale Ditty from Ojo de Liebre

It was bittersweet as we set off with Bajaguy's family on the last whale adventure of the season for me. It was a rather blustery morning and the young children were a wee bit nervous about the rocking and rolling of the panga but forgot about it when some friendly whales came over to visit us.

There weren't a lot of whales there as most had left for northern feeding grounds so we had to look around for awhile in choppy water and visit a few whales before getting lucky. At the end of the season, most of our familiar whales are gone and sometimes visitors are in that we dont know.

The last and best whales we had contact with were favorites of mine who I thought had left the lagoon as I hadnt seen them anywhere for over a week...so I was really excited when I saw who was approaching us.

The mother whale was nudging her calf up to the kids. It was very tricky for the whales to position themselves just right with so much wind and current pushing the boat away but them worked hard to delight us with contact

"Happy" was a calf that was intrigued by my GoPro camera and always came over to it and rubbed her head on it and looked at it underwater.

She is a sweet calf who loves kids and twirls around after being rubbed. It was wonderful to watch the excitement in the girls faces as they made contact with the whales...and the huge grins on the grandparents faces with tears of joy. I too cried like a baby when Happy raised her head up to mine for a smooch and a cheek rub after I scratched her chin.

We had a great couple days and enjoyed staying at La Posada Don Vicente that has a nice kids park and a very nice clean swimming pool too!

It was a magical couple months at the lagoon and I thank all of you who came out with us...I will be getting more videos together soon of your trips too. This is one of my favorite shots.

It was quite a learning curve working with the GoPro camera and I look forward to getting better at it next season. This was my first attempt at putting together the footage...it's far from perfect but it was fun to do...hope you like it.

[Edited on 4-3-2014 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 05:10 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!

Shari

Thank you for setting up our adventure and also for speaking to the whales and calves and asking them to stick around for the G-Kids.

Your pre trip whale education talk at dinner and the information you provided on the water was really appreciated.

What an outstanding experience for the 9 year old, the 6 year old......and also for their parents and the grandparents. We will be talking about this for years

You have a way with whales and kids. The trip and adventure was all we hoped for and we will be back.

Thank you again!!!!!!

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 05:22 PM

Thanks, Shari for sharing this video on Nomads as well as you tube.

Hopefully we'll be down south full time by this time next year.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 05:26 PM

and thank you Bajaguy for all the support and inspiration you have given me.

Udo, I know that the whales will work some magic on Jana to lighten her heart.

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 06:36 PM

I so look forward to the day we can come meet you and those wonderful creatures. Our friends who came down and went on your tour had a wonderful time and experience. Thanks for all you do for those wonderful creatures and all of us nomads.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 07:37 PM

thank you...it's all I can do to give back a little of what all the wonderful creatures do for ME!

churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 08:10 PM

Thanks for posting!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 09:04 PM

Wow Shari, well done!

"The future ain't what it used to be"
jimcallard
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 09:33 PM

Shari, Another great year with you and your crew! We came up from Loreto twice this year and as usual, it is a once in a life time experience. Seeing the changes in the whales between February and March was fascinating. Our friend from Durango Colorado said it was one of "the most memorable experience in her life"--and she was 71. A class act! Our hats off to the guides too. See you next year.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 08:45 AM

thank you Jim, I always enjoy your company on the panga.

Your comment touches on an interesting topic. Many people come out to the lagoon once and are forever changed by their experience. But it is always great when folks like you come back repeatedly at different times of the season and appreciate the differences in their behavior and of course the size and development of the calves.

Each month is unique and wonderful in it's own way. In January, you may see an enormous pregnant mother with her midwife at her side..they are often very friendly as they are just biding their time till the birth. Or you may get lucky and witness a birth. There is more mating activity and seeing the mother carry her newborn on her back melts your heart. Plus there are very few people around so the boats are much less crowded.

February is when the mom's start schooling their calves and you can be part of the swimming school parades and see how strict the mom's are with their babies....and there is still mating behavior then as well and the mothers begin to introduce their babies to humans. The lagoon is like whale soup with so many whales all around you.

March is exciting as the calves are getting older and more playful. So you see, there is really no "best" time to see whales. You will see them every day you go out no matter what month.

Here's looking at you kid...

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 11:09 AM

Shari puts on a Class A tour! we've been twice now and can't wait to get back.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.