BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Family terrorized by taser-wielding, tire-slashing border agents
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 02:34 PM

You would have to be blind or living on another planet to ignore the rampant militarization of the police departments in the years after 9-11. For years the atrocities committed by N-zi SS and Russian KGB, kicking in doors in the middle of the night were dismissed as the type of thing that could never happen in the good old USA. After all, where could you find people in our society willing to gun down or beat to death a mentally disturbed homeless person for "resisting" arrest. Well, now we are finding that there are no shortage of these people among us perfectly willing to do just that. Having said this, I have never personally had a problem, although close friends have had bad experiences. In fact, my last crossing of the border was met with some of the most courteous border people I have yet encountered.
You don't need to emulate the dog who encounters a pack and submits by exposing their vulnerable underbelly when confronted, or on the other hand the little scrappy mutt who is willing to take them all on. A firm businesslike attitude in dealing with these people you may encounter can project the attitude that you know where you stand and expect respectful treatment. The situation needs to change, as was shown by the public demonstration (riot) against the Albuquerque police who have had thirty three shootings and over twenty deaths by police shootings. The public is slowly responding, and it will take a lot of undoing to correct the situation.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 02:49 PM

Gringo and Landcair----------responses.

Landcair-----I mostly agree with you, but would comment that the New Mexico "riots" that you mention were a bit much, in my opinion. I await the facts from the investigation of this latest incident which on the surface so far appears at least civilly, and maybe even criminally libel for the APD officers.

Gringo--------The officer you encountered was out of line, IMO. He appears to be a "rogue cop", and hopefully he was heavily disaplined, or fired. I have NEVER encountered such a situation.

In the USA, I would have done exactly what you did, but probably waited to stop until I was in view of witnesses...Woosh had the scenario that I would have followed. In Mexico, there is no way I would have stopped until I was able to get to some place where there were other people (witnesses) around closeby, and even then I may not have stopped.

This is all easy to say, but I was not there so don't really know what I would have actually done.

For the record------I have long (50 yrs +) been concerned with the "militarization" of all Enforcement organizations, and have very mixed emotions and opinions about it. I resisted it when I was an active LE supervisor, but most of my officers/Rangers resented that resistance, not because they were rabid power-hungry cops, but because they saw the trend as an improvement to their safety, and ability to do the job. I am still very concerned about the reality of this trend for many of the reasons that so many of you cite, and yes it certainly bears watching and analyzing objectively. It is a dilemma, and tends to enable rogue-cops which do exist, but not too many thank Gawd!! (IMO) It is a shame to bash the organization because of a few jack-asses!

Barry

[Edited on 4-5-2014 by Barry A.]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 08:57 AM

Things are changing fast, here's a more recent CBP checkpoint:

http://youtu.be/BB_l6sLxNj4

Maybe the sensitivity training is starting to work.:lol:

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 10:03 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Love it!!!!!

Barry
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 10:38 AM

2X
Think that's the same guy that read me my rights :lol:

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.