willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by TLBaja79
My fav is Don Julio but its pricey

Kirkland Blanco was a great surprise! We all liked it. And for about $19 its a no brainer
$19? It's 169 pesos for 1.5 liters in Cabo San Lucas.
1.5 liter packaging for tequila seems kind of odd doesn't it? but check this out, 950ml bottles have pretty much taken over the one liter bottle, but after reading some of the good prices on gran centenario anejo I thought i'd check prices at don pisto in rosarito. 307 peso's but a closer look at the bottle, 695ml! WTF :?:
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 11:34 AM

A bottle per month at Los Algodonas, if going north with it.
Hueradura is a brand I stick with, having had the tour (just east of Tequila.) El Jimador is from there, a lower priced tequila, sold with a built-in charitable contribution if memory serves. The tour was great.
flyguy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 03:24 PM

Many have said its not "mexican" but i have yet to find a Tequila i enjoy more than Cabo Wabo Anjeo, we had a tequila night where everyone brought a different one and everyone liked the Cabo the most, its got a smokey flavour.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 03:25 PM

Both Tequila.net (which may or may not be up-to-date) and Jimador's own website claim that it is 100% Blue Agave (http://www.eljimador.com/node/42), although I've read that's no longer the case. Does anyone know for sure? It's reasonably priced, and not too hard to find up here in New England.
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 04:02 PM

el Jimador is 100 percent agave, produced in the heart of blue agave country, by Casa Heradura. There would be no reason for anything but blue agave to be used, they are in the thick of it, the hills around Amatitan are nothing but bue!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pauldavidmena
Both Tequila.net (which may or may not be up-to-date) and Jimador's own website claim that it is 100% Blue Agave (http://www.eljimador.com/node/42), although I've read that's no longer the case. Does anyone know for sure? It's reasonably priced, and not too hard to find up here in New England.
unless something has changed in the last week!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pauldavidmena
I think you're correct, for awhile they did turn it into a mixto.

As reported by Morris Thompson (Knight Ridder News Service, Feb. 7, 2001), the previous agave shortage encouraged many producers to change some of their brands from 100% to mixto, including one brand previously popular among Mexicans:
"Ramon Valdes, president of Tequila Herradura, S.A. de C.V., Mexico's second-oldest commercial tequila distiller, is not happy. His firm came in for criticism recently after a reporter noticed that the label on its El Jimador brand now says just 'tequila.' It used to be 100% agave.

"Valdes says his company made the change in El Jimador's formula last May. Otherwise, he said, his firm would have had to double El Jimador's price, about $13 a bottle in Mexico, because agave prices have risen 3,000% since 1995. That's when U.S. demand started to surge, and just as it did, a freeze and disease cut agave crops sharply.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by TLBaja79
My fav is Don Julio but its pricey

Kirkland Blanco was a great surprise! We all liked it. And for about $19 its a no brainer
$19? It's 169 pesos for 1.5 liters in Cabo San Lucas.
1.5 liter packaging for tequila seems kind of odd doesn't it? but check this out, 950ml bottles have pretty much taken over the one liter bottle, but after reading some of the good prices on gran centenario anejo I thought i'd check prices at don pisto in rosarito. 307 peso's but a closer look at the bottle, 695ml! WTF :?:
In the big box stores in Mexico lot's of Tequilas are sold in 1l and 1.5l bottles. The Kirkland plata is also 40º alcohol so it's a good bang for the buck.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 05:10 PM

Well after reading opinions here I had to order me a bottle of El Jimador blanco
42$ wanted anejo but they cant get it I just finished a HD silver couple months back so i look forward to a great taste test between the 2 blanco's

As far as Kirkland that be the real,, Ta kill ya,, not Tequila:?:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 05:18 PM

$42!!!!is that a 5gallon water bottle size?:lol:
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 05:29 PM

Quote:

I hope not I didn't ask, I guess your sayin it's way cheaper down south??
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 05:48 PM

I like El Jimador as well. Some guys turned me on to it when I was in La Paz. Came home and bought some - not the same, but still pretty good.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blackwolfmt
Quote:

I hope not I didn't ask, I guess your sayin it's way cheaper down south??
their 950ml reposado is 129 peso's(under 10 bucks),better stock up next trip!
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 06:17 PM

So how much does Hd or Patron ect.. go for down south??
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Wondering about some names that would be fairly easily available at Algodones in particular. A co worker will be going back and forth for dental work for 5 days = 5 different tequilas to stock the shelf with. Our favorite is Corralejo Blue, San Matias, Patron Silver and Sauza Anejo-Commemerativo in no particular order. Always willing to try a new flavor! Not interested in a mixer....

[Edited on 4-10-2014 by woody with a view]

If you take the Mexican highway to Tecate, like I do, you can bring as many bottles as you want.

Bob Durrell
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 07:11 PM

I have to show up 5 days a week in Yuma otherwise my paychecks will stop being direct deposited..... otherwise!

[Edited on 4-18-2014 by woody with a view]

bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 09:07 AM

No mention of Chamucos Reposado its usually right around $50.00 brown label with the dancing devils on the sides, it sometimes is packaged in a brown cardboard type box. Excellent stuff one of my top favorites.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 10:05 AM

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/921067#8396284

The Mision del Siglio XXI is available here in Loreto for about $ 8.00 a liter at 70 proof.

Very palatable at that price and 100% agave.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 05:31 PM

I currently have these in my man cave - Corralejo Reposado, Patron Silver, Milagro Reposado, Centenario Reposado and a few other 'mixing' brands. We have family visiting from the UK, Bulgaria & Lake Havasu at the moment so the supply is certainly taking a hit.

My go-to Tequila is Correlejo, preferably out of the freezer.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 10:49 AM

I like correlejo but those damn tall bottles!!! I know I'm not the only one to tip it over and break it. Talk about a grown man crying.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.