Author: Subject: Medical evacuation insurance
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2014 at 05:37 PM
Medical evacuation insurance

What's the best one and why?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-12-2014 at 05:56 PM

Hi JZ there is a wealth of information on this topic just do a search under medical evacuation insurance.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-12-2014 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
What's the best one and why?

Just click on my signature and you have it.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2014 at 08:11 PM

Indeed, do your home work. It might be that you are not eligible for any evac plan at all. They will sell you insurance alright, but watch them when it comes to covering the costs.

Evac plan will cover emergency trip to NOB - if this is where you want to go - when your main home is NOB. Most plans will also require you to be at least 100 or 150 miles from your "main home" when you fall sick or are hospitalized. So your home NOB has not only to exist, (some nomads don't have any), but also to meet the definition of "main home". Can be called "main address" or "principal address" in some plans, doesn't matter.

They never explain what they mean by "main home". To be on the safe side, I would rather make sure that you home NOB meets most of requirements for "principal residence" as per recent IRS bulletin. Registered car, personal belongings, regular mail, family members living there, and be physically present there part of the year in the last 2 years. If possible, get their finest and smallest print where they explain this, because like I said, they don't explain much.
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2014 at 09:33 PM

I agree with Alm, I tried and never got a straight answer.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2014 at 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Indeed, do your home work. It might be that you are not eligible for any evac plan at all. They will sell you insurance alright, but watch them when it comes to covering the costs.

Evac plan will cover emergency trip to NOB - if this is where you want to go - when your main home is NOB. Most plans will also require you to be at least 100 or 150 miles from your "main home" when you fall sick or are hospitalized. So your home NOB has not only to exist, (some nomads don't have any), but also to meet the definition of "main home". Can be called "main address" or "principal address" in some plans, doesn't matter.

They never explain what they mean by "main home". To be on the safe side, I would rather make sure that you home NOB meets most of requirements for "principal residence" as per recent IRS bulletin. Registered car, personal belongings, regular mail, family members living there, and be physically present there part of the year in the last 2 years. If possible, get their finest and smallest print where they explain this, because like I said, they don't explain much.

I live in CA. So, that's not an issue.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 12:13 AM

JC, main difference between run of the mill evac plan included - usually - with any travel insurance, and more expensive standalone evac plans is that the former will only take you to the nearest hospital capable.

The latter variety will take you to the hospital of your choice IF POSSIBLE. When they do offer such a choice, they would tell you this in big flashy lettering on the homepage. I said "if possible" because this might not be always possible as there won't be beds available at the hospital that you requested, or they decide that your condition requires some place closer.

Some plans offer an additional "rescue" option, meaning that you don't need to be in accessible location before requesting evacuation. Geos Alliance is one, and there are few other. Though Geos requires to use one of their "approved devices" to activate the rescue option, and you can't of course request a rescue when a stroke hits you in your favorite watering hole and all you need is a ground ambulance.

"The best" is a subjective measure. I think the best is when they do offer the above choice of a hospital, and require minimum 99 or 50 miles rather than 150, and the qualifying condition is "if you need to be hospitalized" rather than "if you are hospitalized". And if it doesn't cost a fortune :)

A stroke may cause irreparable brain damage if not treated within 4 hours, btw. In this context, I would pay as little as possible for any evac plan, because in order to work, it has to be something that does require hospitalization and yet allows +20 hours before treatment.
SkyMedBarbara
Junior Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 06:26 AM

SkyMed Air Evacuation takes you back to U.S.A. or Canada. You do not have to have a "HOME" in U.S.A. or Canada, just a hospital that has a bed available for you. SkyMed has two memberships, one for those who spend 6 months or less in Mexico and the other for those who spend more than 6 months in Mexico. You pick where you want to be evacuated to and we get you there asap. when a critical medical emergency happens.
I have been a representative in Loreto for 7 years. We have evacuated several members out of Loreto.

Skymed.com/loreto

Skymedloreto@gmail.com Barbara

[Edited on 4-13-2014 by SkyMedBarbara]

SkyMed Air Evacuation Memberships
www.SkyMed.com/Loreto
e-mail skymedloreto@gmail.com
Barbara
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 07:34 AM
Check your policy

Check your current home, life or medical insurance policies.

I have a life insurance policy from Standard, and buried in that policy is an included evacuation plan from Med-Ex

Also have a SPOT and have the SAR and evacuation plan

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 11:29 AM

I ended up going with MedjetAssist after reading several posts by Pescador.

I have Anthem Blue Cross and I've read they cover medical costs in Mexico, so I'll check that out to make sure.

We rented a Satphone and I've got a Spot as well. We are going to some pretty remote places on our bikes.
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 01:20 PM
Medical Evacuation Insurance SkyMed

There are many good air evac programs out there, but no one does all the things for you that SkyMed does. I'm the SkyMed VP for Latin America, 14 yrs. with the company, ask me anything, I'm an expert with over 30 yrs experience in insurance.

SkyMed guarantees you renewal for LIFE! Once enrolled, you never have to qualify again regardless of what medical conditions you may acquire in the future; they are automatically covered with no waiting period. You DO have to qualify in the beginning & there is a 90 waiting period for pre-existing conditions; all else is covered from day one.

Your rate never goes up because you reach a certain age, we don’t cancel you when you reach a certain age, we don't require annual medical reports for you to qualify for renewal when you reach a certain age, nor do we restrict the length of your trips at a certain age.

Any 2 adults residing at the same address qualifies as a family, we don't discriminate regarding marital status or sex. READ THE FINE PRINT - many DO.

We transport you if you suffer a life or organ threatening injury or illness, even a broken hip or a compound fracture. With our "not medically necessary" benefit for transport, which means EVEN IF you can be treated perfectly well where you are first hospitalized, we will still take you home (most programs say "IF YOU CAN'T BE TREATED LOCALLY"...then "TO THE CLOSEST ADEQUATE FACILITY"), we eliminate most other products on the market.

If one spouse predeceases the other, the surviving spouse/partner or other eligible family member can take over the remaining full years left on a multi-year membership.

If you are a Mexico resident, you can choose any city in the US or Canada as your transport preference city. If you are a snowbird, then your hometown or closest big city with trauma center is your transport city. SkyMed takes YOU, your traveling companion, your car, motorcycle, boat, children, grandchildren, physical remains and even your pets ALL THE WAY HOME!

SkyMed is the best program in the world. As an insurance professional, I can assure you if there was a better product out there I'D BE SELLING IT!

I'm here to answer your questions & help you enroll. Cathie
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 01:33 PM

cathie- welcome to nomad. Thank you for this information.

What is the best contact information to reach you directly about this product?

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 01:39 PM
Medjet Assist Info

Medjet Assist is a very good program, however, according to their rules & regulations on their website: MedjetAssist memberships are non-transferable and non-refundable. SkyMed gives surviving spouse/partner or other eligible family member the remaining years on the membership. Medjet R&R states: A membership is not valid if the membership fee payment is declined, returned, or otherwise unpaid. In such a case, the Effective Start Date shall be the date the membership fee is successfully collected. SKYMED covers you for all sudden onset injuries & illnesses DURING the enrollment process, BEFORE your credit card is even charged. Regarding renewals Medjet states: MedjetAssist reserves the right to revoke, rescind, or cancel any membership or refuse any renewal at MedjetAssist’s sole discretionor refuse any
renewal at MedjetAssist’s sole discretion
. SkyMed guarantees renewal for life. Also their rates change at age 75 & there are special restrictions for older members, & no programs after age 85. SkyMed has one special rate category for NEW SkyMed members that are residents of Mexico ONLY & are already 75 or older when they enroll (SILVER membership). But existing members, both snowbirds & Mexico residents, reaching 75 have no rate increase because of their age.
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 01:42 PM
Medical Evacuation Insurance SkyMed

Thank you for asking my contact info.

I can be reached toll free at 1-866-460-3486 or direct US cell # 575-993-8227 and email cathie.smith@skymed.com

Cathie
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 01:58 PM

Hi Cathie, I understand you only fly out of Loreto, Ensenada, Cabo, etc.

Compare that to Medjet. I was down to you two Medjet and Skymed. I've read good things about both.
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 02:06 PM

Cathie,
thank you for the info. You provided. I am a permanent resident of BCS and with no residence in the US.
I am very interested in the Sky Med plan.
Can you provide a policy on line??
Thanks.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ

Compare that to Medjet. I was down to you two Medjet and Skymed. I've read good things about both.

from what i undersand, the typical insurers only fly out of paved airstrips that can take jets. not aware of an insurance plan that will fly you out of a dirt airstrip, not sure if any of the providers even have biz arrangements with local air ambulances that can fly into dirt strips in baja. please correct me if i am wrong, and give details please.
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by JZ

from what i undersand, the typical insurers only fly out of paved airstrips that can take jets. not aware of an insurance plan that will fly you out of a dirt airstrip, not sure if any of the providers even have biz arrangements with local air ambulances that can fly into dirt strips in baja. please correct me if i am wrong, and give details please.
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 03:18 PM

To be returned to the US or Canada, first you have to be treated & diagnosed at an emergency room or 24 hour clinic, which you should WANT to do, it could be a matter of life or death! We have contracts with over a dozen top rated air ambulance companies across the US from coast to coast. All have to be registered with the FAA & meet our high standards, including at least a million dollars in liability insurance & top notch equipment. YES small air ambulances that can land on dirt strips are available, not all are jets. When you move to Mexico, you already understand that your risks are greater.
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 08:38 PM

Still waiting for my question to be answered???
Also is Palos Verdes (Sta. Rosalia) paved airstrip on your list???

PBR
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.