Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Medical evacuation insurance
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 08:51 PM

I don't have the list
but I will ask. Do you live in Santa Rosalia? If you suffered a very serious medical emergency, where would you be taken for first emergency? Do people already get evacuated out of there? I do have personal knowledge of several evacuations we have done out of Guerrero Negro.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alacran
Still waiting for my question to be answered???
Also is Palos Verdes (Sta. Rosalia) paved airstrip on your list???

PBR

What's your question? What's a principal residence?

MedjetAssit requires 150 miles from your principal residence. So if you live in Baja, that's probably not going to work (not a problem for me). SkyMed doesn't seem to have this restriction.

Medjet will pickup on dirt airstrips. I fly all over the world and read a big biz travel site. Lots of very good comments on Medjet.

[Edited on 4-14-2014 by JZ]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 10:19 PM

Quote:

PBR

Why wouldn't it be? Jets land there frequently.
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 11:07 PM

Medjet is very good, but see my comments on their renewal, rate increases due to age and aging out issues as compared to SkyMed. Just depends on what is important to you, it may not matter to you. With SkyMed, Mexico residents have NO "miles from home" requirement. Also, SkyMed pays 2 plane tickets BACK to your home in Mexico after your evacuation to the US or Canada. Also pays round trip ticket for pet sitter to fly to your home in Mexico & care for your pets. And as well as vehicles, SkyMed also returns boats.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathie
Medjet is very good, but see my comments on their renewal, rate increases due to age and aging out issues as compared to SkyMed. Just depends on what is important to you, it may not matter to you. With SkyMed, Mexico residents have NO "miles from home" requirement. Also, SkyMed pays 2 plane tickets BACK to your home in Mexico after your evacuation to the US or Canada. Also pays round trip ticket for pet sitter to fly to your home in Mexico & care for your pets. And as well as vehicles, SkyMed also returns boats.

Sounds awesome. If I was older or lived in MX I'd go with you no question.

Thanks for the good input.
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 11:50 PM

Quote:

PBR
I think I am not replying to you in the proper way, sorry. I am not in the evacuation coordination dept, so I don't know the Baja airports & which are accessible in the Baja but I will ask for you. What hospital would you go to for immediate emergency treatment? You are in Mulege? I'm asking because that's the most important thing, to save your life or treat you right away. A doctor must verify that it is safe to move you, that is an FAA law. "Stable" is the proper word. Living in remote areas is a choice many make when they move to Mexico, and we get the air ambulances as close as possible, then also pay the ground ambulance to get you to the plane. Now I will say goodnight & hasta mañana!
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 09:00 AM

Thank you for the information, however since you are in the marketing for Sky Med, for so many years, you should know what air strips are used by SM.
If I would require their service I would ask for transfer to Long Beach, or San Diego in Cal.
Also could you post a brochure and costs??
Thanks.
PBR
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the information, however since you are in the marketing for Sky Med, for so many years, you should know what air strips are used by SM.
If I would require their service I would ask for transfer to Long Beach, or San Diego in Cal.
Thanks.
PBR

I know all the larger airports but there were questions about smaller ones & "dirt strips" & I want to make sure I give you correct info so I'm getting the whole list & will reply to those posted questions. SkyMed contracts with various air ambulance companies. I will privately message you on the details as I know that this blog is for information, not to be aggressively selling a program, & I don't want to offend anyone or the rules of the site. I'm passionate about our program as we've helped so many people over the years, so I apologize for being "overly enthusiastic". Anyone can contact me privately through here too.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 09:27 AM
The list

Cathie

Please post the list here. I'm sure a number of Nomads would be interested.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks.
PBR

http://www.skymed.com/nato-products.php

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 12:22 PM

OK HERE'S A QUESTION.

I am in Loreto, La Paz, San Jose de Cabo...

I call whatever EVAC service at 1000 hours in the morning on a weekday.

How many hours will have passed until the ambulance greets the aircraft at the door in San Diego international?

Yes you GAIN an hour on the clock. I'm not talking about clocks, I wish to know ELAPSED TIME.

Thank You

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Cathie,
thank you for the info. You provided. I am a permanent resident of BCS and with no residence in the US.
I am very interested in the Sky Med plan.
Can you provide a policy on line??
Thanks.

Yes, at www.skymed.com/cathiesmith or email me with your phone number and I'll walk you through it. cathie.smith@skymed.com
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Thanks.
PBR

http://www.skymed.com/nato-products.php

You can see it at www.skymed.com/cathiesmith but if you email me at cathie.smith@skymed.com I will be happy to go over the various plans so you can choose which one works best for you.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyMedBarbara
SkyMed Air Evacuation takes you back to U.S.A. or Canada. You do not have to have a "HOME" in U.S.A. or Canada, just a hospital that has a bed available for you.

A brief description says "SkyMed will arrange and pay for medically equipped air ambulance transportation... to the hospital nearest their US or Canadian home. Which still sounds like you must have a "home" NOB, whatever is the interpretation of home by this insurer. In the Agreement for people living more than 180 days in Mexico - which must be what you called "snowbird plan", it says the same.

For either a tourist or snowbird there is still a condition that the initial hospital must be at least 100 miles from your home.

The site is difficult to navigate, I couldn't find Terms and Conditions where it says that Mex residents are eligible when they are less than 100 miles away from their home.

As to the flying from big airports only - I think all evac plans only fly from paved airstrips. From other places one would have to use a "rescue" option - don't know if it's offered by SM.

The cost... Well, it is assumed that permanent or semi-permanent expat can afford it, so I won't comment.

As to the "pros" - it's good to know that SM won't refuse a renewal due to age.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
OK HERE'S A QUESTION.

I am in Loreto, La Paz, San Jose de Cabo...

I call whatever EVAC service at 1000 hours in the morning on a weekday.

How many hours will have passed until the ambulance greets the aircraft at the door in San Diego international?

David.... Wasn't there a discussion a month ago, with a link to a detailed chronological account by a person in Pto Vallarta?... If you are already in a big city with modern airport, count on at least 10 hours hospital to hospital. I think it was 14 hours for that person in PV.
fudscrud
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 09:11 AM

JZ
I often ride in remote Baja and have a SPOT with GEOS. I don't know how well it works because I haven't had the opportunity to use it...knock on wood.

I recently read this very interesting ride report from a guy riding in Eastern Honduras where he severely broke his leg. He eventually was flown out by small plane from a dirt strip then transferred to a jet to NOB. He was extremely pleased with his e-vac ins which was: http://www.travelguard.com/
This is for travelers not full timers though. The price looks very reasonable.

Here's the link to the ride report for a good read: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871303

JZ, what's your plan for the ride?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 09:33 AM

Not too crazy stuff. As I'm going with my boys who are 12 and 10. Drive down to Gonzaga and we'll ride around there for a couple days. Then ride from Gonzaga to Mex 1. Put the bikes back in the truck and head down to Bay of LA. Do rides out of there for several days.

Just ordered the satphone and got the insurance squared away for my truck. Ordered a Baja Almanac. Getting pretty excited. Taking an 11 foot Zodiac down as well.

[Edited on 4-15-2014 by JZ]
fudscrud
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 09:50 AM

Ahh, There's some good riding in that area but the boys will have to practice (and grow) for a few years before hitting the "big stuff".
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 10:11 AM

Yeah, they are pretty good but can't get too crazy. They've been riding or 3-4 years. We go up to Ballinger Canyon above Ojai and ride the trails there. Only one other riding trip to Baja, and couple times in Sonora.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fudscrud
I often ride in remote Baja and have a SPOT with GEOS. I don't know how well it works because I haven't had the opportunity to use it...knock on wood.

I recently read this very interesting ride report from a guy riding in Eastern Honduras where he severely broke his leg. He eventually was flown out by small plane from a dirt strip then transferred to a jet to NOB. He was extremely pleased with his e-vac ins which was: http://www.travelguard.com/

Travelguard doesn't sell standalone evac plans (I think) - they sell travel insurance with evac plan included. Almost any travel insurance will have some evac plan, if you look closer. To the nearest capable hospital only.

Yes, Geos is cheap. Probably the cheapest plan where they offer choice of a hospital after you've been stabilized at the nearest facility (to which facility, btw, they will give you a ride you if you can't get there on your own). Though - a usual cryptic wording - they talk about this "choice" in description, and then in Terms and Conditions it says "medical evacuation to the nearest medical facility and repatriation to a hospital nearest your home" - nothing about "choice" this time, though "nearest your home" is good enough. They don't accept applications from people over 75.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.