Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Medical evacuation insurance
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 05:46 PM

I am disapointed, by the various nebulous answers I have received...
In my search I have found at least 3 people that sell the Sky Med program, and none are very clear.
I don´t like deals over the telephone, I like writen brochures that are available to the public.
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathie
I don't have the list
but I will ask. Do you live in Santa Rosalia? If you suffered a very serious medical emergency, where would you be taken for first emergency? Do people already get evacuated out of there? I do have personal knowledge of several evacuations we have done out of Guerrero Negro.

Answer to airports. SkyMed doesn't pick up from dirt strips so if that is important to you, of course you need to go with whoever does. We pay 100% of the air evacuation for our members once a doctor has verified that you have suffered a life or organ threatening injury or illness, or a broken hip or compound fracture, which means you first have to be treated in a hospital or 24 hr clinic that can diagnose you. Then we pay the ground ambulance to the air ambulance (& the ground ambulance when you land to your hospital). Jim Edwards, Sr. VP SkyMed, informed me that we evacuate from regulated commercial airports. Here is the list of regulated commercial airports in the Baja. So if any of these works for you, consider SkyMed. If not, then choose another program.

La Paz
LAP Manuel Márquez de León International Airport

Loreto
LTO Loreto International Airport

San José del Cabo
SJD Los Cabos International Airport

Cabo San Lucas
CSL Cabo San Lucas International Airfield

Ciudad Constitución
CUA Ciudad Constitución Airport

Guerrero Negro
GUB Guerrero Negro Airport

Santa Rosalía
PVP Palo Verde Airport

Mexicali
MXL General Rodolfo Sánchez Taboada International Airport

Tijuana
TIJ General Abelardo L. Rodríguez International Airport

Ensenada
ESE El Ciprés Military Airbase Number 3
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alacran
I am disapointed, by the various nebulous answers I have received...
In my search I have found at least 3 people that sell the Sky Med program, and none are very clear.
I don´t like deals over the telephone, I like writen brochures that are available to the public.

Our website www.skymed.com/cathiesmith is very informative, and I've just posted the answer from a senior VP of SkyMed regarding the airports on the Baja. If you need further clarification, please let me know & I will be happy to answer.
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
cathie- welcome to nomad. Thank you for this information.

What is the best contact information to reach you directly about this product?

Best personal contact by phone is US #s 1-866-460-3486 or 575-993-8227, y mobile travels with me all over US & Mexico. Email is cathie.smith@skymed.com. Website is www.skymed.com/cathiesmith You can enroll online but if you want to ask questions one on one, call me or email me to call you back. Travel Safely, Cathie
SkyMedBarbara
Junior Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 08:57 AM

I have lived in Loreto full time for 22 years, 7 of them as a SkyMed representative. I would be happy to meet with anyone who is interested in finding more about our membership programs. I have put together a folder with everything in writing for anyone interested. Pretty simple when I can sit down and explain our membership programs to you. I have many members in Loreto, Nopolo, Loreto Bay, Juncalito and Tripui. I always have a cold Pacifico for you too.
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyMedBarbara
I have lived in Loreto full time for 22 years, 7 of them as a SkyMed representative. I would be happy to meet with anyone who is interested in finding more about our membership programs. I have put together a folder with everything in writing for anyone interested. Pretty simple when I can sit down and explain our membership programs to you. I have many members in Loreto, Nopolo, Loreto Bay, Juncalito and Tripui. I always have a cold Pacifico for you too.

Thank you Barbara! It appears you have many folks there in your area with interest about SkyMed, this is a good time for you to hold a group presentation!
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 10:38 AM

I am very close to purchase the SkyMed evacuation plan, however I have a few questions I would like an answerto:
The NATO plan still says " return to his or her US or Canadian home" my ONLY home is in BCS, Mexico?
It mentions to call 911, well there is NO 911 in Mexico.
Member must be more than 100 air mails from home, (what home, and what if the problem hapens in my home in Mexico)?
The attending physician approval must be in writing? (to whom, and sent how,
in an emergency)
Medical transportation on comercial air line to members home??
Specific six (6) months (how does apply if I live all year in Mexico)??
What does a it mean by "appropriate airport, with reputable maintenance and ground service"??
What is the 100 mile waiver (even in the NATO plan)??
what is the number for travel services.
What credit is acceptable for payment.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 11:07 AM

Alacran,

I recall - from reading their site - that SkyMed allows 2 services per year.
"Appropriate airport" is what the agent listed 3 posts above, if you mean Mex airport.

IMO, one good thing about this plan - compared to many other - is that they cover people over 75.

100 mile waiver, - where did you find it?
SkyMedBarbara
Junior Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 11:21 AM

The NATO Plan is for those of us that live more than 6 months in Mexico. That Plan covers you 365 days in Mexico and also in the 32 countries we cover. 911 is for USA In Mexico we call our doctor, hospital and clinic (where we need to go to get air evacuated out). No 100 air miles in Mexico that is for US and Canada. Many members have homes in Mexico and US or Canada....and they want to get back to US or Canada where their doctor and hospital is....anywhere you choose where your transport city will be. Maybe close to family??
Nothing has to be in writing with the attending physician. It is all co-ordinated with SkyMed in Scotsdale, AZ by phone with our professional personal.
I have U to U 'd you and you can ask me more there.

[Edited on 4-16-2014 by SkyMedBarbara]

SkyMed Air Evacuation Memberships
www.SkyMed.com/Loreto
e-mail skymedloreto@gmail.com
Barbara
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
I am very close to purchase the SkyMed evacuation plan, however I have a few questions I would like an answerto:
The NATO plan still says " return to his or her US or Canadian home" my ONLY home is in BCS, Mexico?
It mentions to call 911, well there is NO 911 in Mexico.
Member must be more than 100 air mails from home, (what home, and what if the problem hapens in my home in Mexico)?
The attending physician approval must be in writing? (to whom, and sent how,
in an emergency)
Medical transportation on comercial air line to members home??
Specific six (6) months (how does apply if I live all year in Mexico)??
What does a it mean by "appropriate airport, with reputable maintenance and ground service"??
What is the 100 mile waiver (even in the NATO plan)??
what is the number for travel services.
What credit is acceptable for payment.

1-Home - on Nato is any "home" you choose in US or Canada, your "transport preference city". You can choose any city that you like & can even change it later on if your plans change, just not on the tarmac! Your Nato Ultimate plan also includes the SkyMed Nato Plus, which pays 2 return commercial tickets back to your home in Mexico, or if you choose the Nato basic plan, you can add that on (and/or any of the options that are included in the Ultimate) for a fee for each one, so you can pick and choose. The SkyMed Nato Plus also includes a round trip ticket for someone to fly to your home in Mexico and take care of your pets while you are gone. Or we will transport your pets to the US or Canada, whichever you choose.
2-Since most of our members live in US or Canada, the "Call 911" is what they wrote, but in Mexico, you should have access to Police - 066; Ambulance - 065; Fire - 068. "066" can be used as a general emergency number.
3-In our Nato plan, which is Mexico resident, the 100 miles from home is waived, so you are covered from your home city in Mexico, you don't have to be traveling to be covered. The 100 miles from home is also waived in all our ULTIMATE plans.
4-Attending physician approval in writing - FAX is the usual way.
5-Commercial airline transportation-about 20% of our transports are on commercial flights. I had a member in Todos Santos who fell in his cactus garden and got poked in the eye on a cactus. We flew him & his wife commercially to North Carolina as he didn't need an air ambulance, but the eye is an organ & that qualified.
6-Specific 6 months is only for our Traditional membership. Included in the Traditional membership is up to any 6 months of a person's choice in Mexico. Nato membership gives you year round coverage & you can come and go as you please.
7- Appropriate airport means the list I posted before, that are commercial, paved airports, as that is what the contracts with the air ambulance companies require.
8-100 mile waiver means that the criteria of being 100 miles from home is waived, and you are covered from your home city, wherever you live. It's included free in the Nato (Mexico resident) plan, all Traditional Ultimate memberships, and can be added for a fee on the basic memberships.
9-What is the phone number for travel services? For the SkyMed Travel Agency? The Mexico toll free number for all of SkyMed divisions is Mexico (Toll Free): 001-800-203-7779 or directly to SkyMed Travel Club 1-866-698-1013. That toll free number is also for all calls to SkyMed including emergency services or you can call collect to 480-946-5188.
10-We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express & Discover cards.
You can enroll at www.skymed.com/cathiesmith or send me your email address & I'll send you a simple enrollment form that also has all definitions on page 2 for your convenience. cathie.smith@skymed.com
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info.
I tried cathie.smith@skymed.com, there was nowhere to live my e mail.
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info.
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 02:11 PM

Thanks for the info.
alacran
Nomad

Thanks for the info.
alacran
Nomad

Thanks for the info.
alacran
Nomad

Thanks for the info.
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Just send a regular email to me at cathie.smith@skymed.com or my personal email address cabocathie@gmail.com
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 01:16 PM

The wording of SKyMed Nato service contract is not too transparent for sure. Not that I studied the contract too closely, - there are cheaper options at my age. But bookmarked it for future.

At the very beginning they state:
Quote:

When traveling a member must be more than 100 air miles from home to be eligible for any SkyMed service unless the distance is otherwise designated.

Then they state that will transport a member to his/her "transport preference" city if there is a critical illness or injury
Quote:

...that occurs to a MEMBER more than one hundred (100) air miles from the MEMBER’S TRANSPORT PREFERENCE that causes a MEMBER to be hospitalized.
(capitals not mine). Note that you do need to be hospitalized before requesting this service.

Then they state that "home" may or may not be the same as "transport preference".

As to the 100-mile waiver - yes, there is such a waiver, but this is only when you need a helicopter or ground ambulance:
Quote:

When it is medically necessary to do so, SkyMed will provide the MEMBER Ground Ambulance and/or Helicopter transport to an emergency medical facility within a 100 mile radius of the MEMBER’S home.

Note that helicopter and ground ambulance are optional to the plan. Correct me if I'm wrong, this option has nothing to do with evacuation to "transport preference" hospital. This is simply an ambulance add-on, to take you to a hospital, and yes, it works no matter how close you are to your home.
Cathie

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
The wording of SKyMed Nato service contract is not too transparent for sure. Not that I studied the contract too closely, - there are cheaper options at my age. But bookmarked it for future.

There may be cheaper options at your age, but when you reach 75 & have developed a very serious medical condition, your cheaper options won't renew you & that very serious condition won't be acceptable to SkyMed, then you will have nothing.

At the very beginning they state:
Quote:

When traveling a member must be more than 100 air miles from home to be eligible for any SkyMed service unless the distance is otherwise designated.

"Otherwise designated" would be that you have the 100 mile waiver.

Then they state that will transport a member to his/her "transport preference" city if there is a critical illness or injury
Quote:

...that occurs to a MEMBER more than one hundred (100) air miles from the MEMBER’S TRANSPORT PREFERENCE that causes a MEMBER to be hospitalized.
(capitals not mine). Note that you do need to be hospitalized before requesting this service.

Of course you have to be hospitalized! You need to be treated to make sure to save your life, who would not want to go to a hospital right away in a serious medical emergency?

Then they state that "home" may or may not be the same as "transport preference".

Transport preference would be nearest big city with trauma center or good hospital, some people live in small towns, or live in Mexico, so the transport preference is one place and "home" is another place.

As to the 100-mile waiver - yes, there is such a waiver, but this is only when you need a helicopter or ground ambulance:
Quote:

When it is medically necessary to do so, SkyMed will provide the MEMBER Ground Ambulance and/or Helicopter transport to an emergency medical facility within a 100 mile radius of the MEMBER’S home.

That is under the Ground Ambulance option. If you live in Mexico, SkyMed pays your ground ambulance TO the hospital, then you are evacuated to your transport preference city in the US or Canada.

Note that helicopter and ground ambulance are optional to the plan. Correct me if I'm wrong, this option has nothing to do with evacuation to "transport preference" hospital. This is simply an ambulance add-on, to take you to a hospital, and yes, it works no matter how close you are to your home.

Our Ultimate plans include everything. With the basic plans you can add on options as you wish.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 04:05 PM

Ultimate plan you have to buy for 5 years, and in this case - yes, all the options are added at no additional cost. I don't see a link to a different service agreement, which means - same wording, only the options are covered.

Say, home is in Cabo, "preference" is San Diego - it doesn't have to be the same place, alright. If you are in Baja less than 100 miles from Cabo, even though you're more than 100 miles from SD, what will stop the company lawyer from proving that you're not eligible because one of conditions - distance from home - has not been met?

Yes, helicopter/ambulance option is from place of incident to emergency hospital, and it sounds like it has to be a hospital no farther than 100 miles from home - the agreement says: "Ground Ambulance and/or Helicopter transport to an emergency medical facility within a 100 mile radius of the member's home". Anyway... if you're not eligible for main coverage, how likely is that you'll be eligible for helicopter/ambulance option included with the contract?
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.