Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: outboard question
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 12:02 PM
outboard question

25hp mariner:

i run it every week to keep the parts moving during the winter. i just had the carb cleaned and a new fuel line/bulb since the original was GREEN on the inside from the ethanol. i re-used the clip that attaches the fuel line to the fuel intake on the motor. when i pump the bulb gas is squirting from that clip/motor connection and the motor runs for a minute or two then dies like the fuel has ran out. if i force the clip just right and hold it while pumping the bulb it seems like the lines/bowl fill again and it runs for a few minutes until fuel starved again. i can see the filter on the motor start full and run down to about 1/2 when the motor starves.

is that squirting fuel at the connection right? seems like there isn't a good seal. it isn't overflowing at the bowl.

would a clip go bad and loose its seal at the ball bearing after 25 years or are they normally solid for life?

Mucho Garcias!

[Edited on 4-13-2014 by woody with a view]

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 12:10 PM

You might need a new connector for the line to the outboard. It should not be leaking at all. I think there is a small o-ring inside the connection on some of them...check that. If it is sucking air, then you could be losing your suction to draw up fuel and that could be the problem. Replace the connection with a new one.

Is your vent open on your fuel tank or your fuel line kinked? Sounds simple, but it happens....

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 12:22 PM

seems like i've fought those things my whole life:( we run a hose from the bulb directly to the filter now, one less thing to go wrong!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 12:41 PM

Sounds like it is sucking air at the connection. I would replace it before I looked any further.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 12:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! funny thing is my vent stays open because the plastic tank grows like a bloated football if i leave it closed. i guess i'll start closing it when the motor runs. also, the new hose is ethanol proof (per writing on the jacket) but seems softer than the old line and does bend a couple of places that looks wrong. good ideas guys!!!!

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Thanks for the suggestions! funny thing is my vent stays open because the plastic tank grows like a bloated football if i leave it closed. i guess i'll start closing it when the motor runs. also, the new hose is ethanol proof (per writing on the jacket) but seems softer than the old line and does bend a couple of places that looks wrong. good ideas guys!!!!

That vent on the tank needs to be open when running it.... Otherwise, it won't allow fuel to flow to the engine. The vent actually let's air into the tank, not out. I have one that does the same thing in the sun or heat - it gets all bloated and it have to unscrew the cap to equalize it. The vent doesn't equalize it like I would think it should.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 01:16 PM

got it. i thought you were saying it should not be open to create suction.....

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 01:55 PM

Also could be a bad diaphragm in the fuel pump - if the hose had the green crap in it the fuel pump does also.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 05:59 PM

You need to stop that fuel leak. You do not want a fire on top of the other problems. Did you buy a complete fuel line, including the connectors on each end? Some of the after market ones do not fit quite right, even when new.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 08:06 PM
fuel line and connectors

Hola,,, only buy OEM or SIERRA !!! attwood,,moeller,,tempo are all crap out of the box....forget worst Marine brand or as a place to buy motor parts !!!.....K&T:cool:
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 10:44 PM

I have a fuel tank connector that seems to connect, but it isn't onto the tank end fitting far enough for fuel to flow to the bulb.

A properly fitting connection shouldn't leak (fire bad!!) if it's leaking you are probably not getting a good enough connection so fuel isn't getting past the anti-spill valve built into the fitting.

New fitting seems like the deal. I can make mine work if I spray it with penetrating lube and work it back and forth a few times. Sometimes the ball bearings stick and the lube frees them up
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 10:50 PM
fuel line connectors

Yes, A shot of (any) oil once a month is a GOOD thing !! the cheap made ones can also suck air and make a lean condition at WOT !! not good !! spend the money and buy the GOOD stuff !! cheaper in the long run and not having to be towed in......K&T:cool:....Woody,,,,that motor should be a merc (yr/ser#) and has crome cylinders....run a Heavy/Heavy 50/1 mix and use merc "motor tune" at 100 hrs...good lil motor and ifthe "switch box" hasn't been replace DO SO...known issue !! ck CDI electronics.... also keep in shade or at min cover with white T-shirt......Tight Lines!!!

[Edited on 4-14-2014 by captkw]

dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 06:39 AM

Dittos on the OEM or Sierra...www.iboats.com
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 02:05 PM

last time I ran it heavy it seemed to foul the plugs and dripped oil all over the concrete..... it is covered with a gray tarp. will look into the motor tune.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 10:33 AM

went to worst marine and got a moeller!

it fits right but the barb is small and if i pump the ball too much it leaks past the hose clamp at the barb. i guess i won't pump so hard cuz she runs great now.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 11:06 AM
woody,,woody,,woody

Hola,,Guess you missed my post...Get a serria or buy a OEM hose & connectors..throw the moeller in the trash...for the simple fact you WILL have problems with it...Pure JUNK !!:rolleyes:

[Edited on 4-21-2014 by captkw]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 12:40 PM

Send him the money for the replacement, why dont ya....I dont think they are "purs' junk...

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 06:12 PM
Worst marine brand

Hola,,Heres the skinny on the story...worst marine sold the brand name "Tempo" for many years and I would have guys show up at my boat yard at 6:00 AM with bait fresh on the hooks with gas smell all around the motor many,,many,,many times....then W.M. switched to "moeller" brand and they even are cheaper made JUNK !! and to "chukie" when you make 95 HR repairing and folks life depends on your work !! then I might give hoot about what you think on this matter....K&T:cool:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 04:01 PM

hey capt, what is the mystery lube you are referring to at 100 hours?

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 05:55 PM

I bought two Moeller 3 gallon fuel tanks for my tin boat about a year ago and now they both leak around the filler cap. Garbage.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.