Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: outboard question
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 06:12 PM

get yourself a new one and let's fish! we'll b dragging the Valco down June 7.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 06:48 PM
Woody

It's made by most outboard mfgr...for mercury try their "MOTOR TUNE" whati t does is clean the crap out the cylinder and behind the rings and allows for better heat transfer (cooling) just don't have your prop exhaust pointing at the wives white porshe.....LOL. if done correctly a lot of black messy (carbon) will come out of your motor !! Bob,, I'm surprised you even got a year out a "moeller"...pure JUNK !!...K&T:cool:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 07:21 PM

went with Merc quickkleen.

most of the fuel I run these days is Pemex (no ethanol!!!!) but it does run some US crap to keep it over the winter.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 08:12 PM
Woody

Hola,, Quickleen is added to the gas....mercury (quicksilver) "power tune" is sprayed in the carb throat while running and after it dies then sprayed in the spark plug holes towards the top of the piston...let sit 2/3 hrs then run up to WOT.......much needed for a two stroke motor....its cleans the the ring "lands" and should be done every 100 HRS.......nothing wrong with a lil Quickleen...but not doing the same job...and I'm sorry,, but I was looking at a Johnson/rude can....OOPS !! its called "power tune" ....K&T:cool:....PS, I get asked sometimes "how the hell do you do a 6 banger" ???? lots of forethought and as many hands that I can round up !!!!! LOL.....sorta a Chinese fire drill once in a while !!!

[Edited on 4-23-2014 by captkw]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 11:37 PM

so i put some quickkleen in the gallon of gas remaining in the tank and start pulling like a tomato picker and NOTHING!!!!

fuel is in the filter bowl, pull the brand new plugs (30 minutes of run time) and they are dripping oil!!!! clean them off and nothing....

i'm running 50-1 so don't know why i'm so drippy on the plugs. it ran fine last weekend.

any guesses?

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 10:14 AM
Woody, Hola

I would get a friend over for the "pull" man and check for a GOOD spark !!!! 7/16 in. min. The "switch box" on that motor is a known issue.....I will/can help you on this matter and a ser# would be nice !!... and do you have the 360 type of spark plugs..K&T:cool:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 11:13 AM

serial # OG926197
NGKBP8H-N 10

when i squeeze the bulb i can hear air escaping so i'm going to get a Mercury hose/bulb this week with the OEM clip.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 11:37 AM
Maybe not your case but...

...I just saw this on http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/evinrude-smokes-black-wet-spark-plugs-

Re: Spark plug question on 2-cycle outboard [Re: huntersrain1]

Take it from an old 2 stroke race bike guy and do yourself a favor. Dont try to clean plugs on a 2 stroke. Once that porcelain gets soaked, it's toast. Plugs are cheap. Buy two sets at a time and keep a set in the boat.

I've had guys tell me 100 times that they "just bought those plugs"...when I told them to toss em out. They get really irritated at times too. Tough...the facts dont lie. A rich running 2 stroke will eat plugs. Period. If you idle too long and dont blow it out..( especially of you premix the fuel)...the plugs are toast. Oh, they'll run...but they wont "perform" under pressure.

Save all that sandpaper and washing plugs for your car or lawnmower...but it wont do you much good on a 2 popper engine.
Sorry, but it's true. And if your engine uses surface gap plugs....buy three sets at once. They are worse.

Bob Durrell
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
...I just saw this on http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/evinrude-smokes-black-wet-spark-plugs-

Re: Spark plug question on 2-cycle outboard [Re: huntersrain1]

Take it from an old 2 stroke race bike guy and do yourself a favor. Dont try to clean plugs on a 2 stroke. Once that porcelain gets soaked, it's toast. Plugs are cheap. Buy two sets at a time and keep a set in the boat.

I've had guys tell me 100 times that they "just bought those plugs"...when I told them to toss em out. They get really irritated at times too. Tough...the facts dont lie. A rich running 2 stroke will eat plugs. Period. If you idle too long and dont blow it out..( especially of you premix the fuel)...the plugs are toast. Oh, they'll run...but they wont "perform" under pressure.

Save all that sandpaper and washing plugs for your car or lawnmower...but it wont do you much good on a 2 popper engine.
Sorry, but it's true. And if your engine uses surface gap plugs....buy three sets at once. They are worse.
Oh the memories!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 01:49 PM
Woody

Hola..BTW that's a great lil motor..I had one (remote steering & shift) on a 14 Livingston that I used in Baja and dragged to panama and back with....Yes get a real fuel line and rember the the primer bulb arrow HAS to be facing UP !! as in damn near straight up...once you get prime the lil round choke/idle speed knob pull at least once ALL the way out...that pumps a small shot of fuel in the intake for easy starting..under the cowl is a fuel filter with a small "O" ring on top of the clear/white cup...make sure that it goes back together with it..easy to loose..lighty oil the O ring before reinstall.....the most import aspect of any marine motor is the condition of the w/p impeller !!! running it on a hose dosnt mean a damn thing about the condition of a w/p impeller!!!....if you don't KNOW how old the w/p impeller is...Get it Serviced before taking boat out...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 04:37 PM

the impeller is a year old.

i'll get new plugs. what's a surface gap?

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 06:47 PM
woody

your motor has the correct plug and is a 360 or surface fire plug...and a damn good plug at that....you can always pull them and inspect them....but they need gas,,cranking and good DVA (voltage)....for the motor to run....Get the fuel system fixed.... and you cant go wrong with mercury parts !! (quicksilver)..PS if left out in the Baja summer sun the lwr (end) is enough to toast the impeller...it gets what is called a "set" and will run fine on the hose,,but can burn up a good motor FAST...that motor has no alarm for overheat !!! and don't worry about the oil on the plugs..(good thing) the ignition system will fire them just fine if no electrical issues...the DVA on a outboard is made to take it in stride!!.. this is NOT a bike motor!! Rob is correct about bike motors...K&T

[Edited on 4-28-2014 by captkw]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 07:00 PM

ordered the OEM hose with engine clip. ordered 4 plugs. prolly won't arrive by this weekend so it'll be next weekend before I can mess with it.

the motor lives in Sandy Eggo all year and sees Baja 2-3 times a year for a week each and goes surfing NOB a couple times each summer. it doesn't get much use, never really has. I'm sure the impeller is fine. had it switched, lower oil and carb cleaned last summer. I just need to get it on the water and run it hard to blow it out!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 08:49 PM
Woody

Thanks for the reply..Now I have to look up Sandy Eggo !! never heard of it.....The impeller gets the most damage from sitting or going to shore and picking up sand,grit and the rare kelp balls... I would suggest for the first run always watch the tell/tale out let..also at high speeds the vanes have to flex enough to let the water (now under pressure) to pass by the vanes for good cooling...a very missunderstud unit !! Tight Lines
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Thanks for the reply..Now I have to look up Sandy Eggo !! never heard of it.....
:yes:

Ask DavidK, there is a mission there. I think he has maps. :lol:

Sounds like an electrical problem to me (not plugs, they rarely fail even in an over rich environment), especially if you are running good plugs.

Actually, I'd check the grounds and the hot leads to ANYTHING related to ignition before I began buying parts. Like Neil Young said, corrosion never sleeps. Especially check where the ground wires actually ground on the engine block or a ground (-) terminal block.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 09:15 PM
LOL,,,Hook has a sense of humor !!

DK is cool in my book......from the post that woody has made he has a fuel issue to start with..I asked him to ck spark but he hasnt replyed about that yet...those plugs can be coverd in oil and work FINE if the ignition system is alright....if they have Carbon(black,,sooty) then chit hits the fan and have to be replaced as ROBERT noted....to be continued..........................
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 05:25 AM

i'll check Saturday.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 5-3-2014 at 02:55 PM
i get all squishy for a Happy Ending!

4 plugs arrived. got the gapped figured out .040 in case you were wondering. the gas line with the engine clip arrived. cut in a glass in-line fuel filter and shortened up the 8 foot line to make it more better! placed lower end in a plastic barrel i got from work. pumped the bulb and didn't hear any air escaping.......

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA on the first pull!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:spingrin::tumble::wow::wow::wow:

thanks for all the suggestions guys. now i got 4 spark plugs in reserve. enough to last a lifetime!

T minus 33 days......:cool:

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 04:50 PM

Let Bea do the squishin!

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 04:57 PM

i'm just stoked she likes Baja!!!

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.