Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: outboard question
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 07:49 PM
"Good on you mate !!"

woody,,2 quik notes..Highly recomend a metal painted fuel filter...NO glass !!! nope,not,n/a (not applicable)forget the thought....LOL.and when I ran you ser# I thought that they were 360 or surface gap plugs ????? or your coils blue or black ??? glad to hear you get er running !! K&T...forget about the plugs..they are not 360's...........

[Edited on 5-4-2014 by captkw]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 08:39 PM

thanks for the help Capt. next ballena is on me!

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i'm just stoked she likes Baja!!!

She's a keeper!

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 09:57 AM

went out to fire it up for the weekly idle in the water filled barrel and NOTHING..... fuel is in the filter and the inline glass filter. gapped and changed the plugs and nothing. run switch is in correct position.

what is the "switch box" ? the run/off switch?

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 01:03 PM

DISREGARD!!!

i went back (stubborn bastidge!) and switched the run/off switch up and down 20 times, disconnected the fuel line, noticed some flakes of crud in the glass filter, reconnected the fuel line, scratched my you know what and VIOLA!!!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
DISREGARD!!!

i went back (stubborn bastidge!) and switched the run/off switch up and down 20 times, disconnected the fuel line, noticed some flakes of crud in the glass filter, reconnected the fuel line, scratched my you know what and VIOLA!!!

You gotta luv them Outboard motors!!!! :lol:

We boatguys have all been there.
:O

Barry
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 01:57 PM

it's driving me loco!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 04:13 PM
Woody....

Hola..on that motor the fuel pump is on the side or the carb...and the idle speed/chock knob has to be pulled ALL the out and that shoots a shot of gas into the intake....proper starting procedure....if still no start,, CK for spark ( takes two people)..The switch box on that engine is mounted on the side of the engine with a bunch of wires going to it....it takes DVA from the stator underneath the flywheel and converts into usable voltage...they are a known failure on a older unit !! (the switchbox)also under the flywheel is a timer base......But ,,I degres...lets see if you have spark...if yes then you have a fuel problem which Is not likely...do you have a land line to call me...going out the door for a barby,,,I'll check back later...btw lots of curseing does NOT seem to help the engine but really seems to help the health of the guy pulling the rope !! K&T
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 05:16 PM

capt see u2u in top right corner. call me tomorrow around 9am.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 05:10 AM
Woody

Hola, I have u2u's from other members but not from you !!please try again...its 4:03 am and moving slow !! someone from the 530 area code u2u me...that's not you is it ?????
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 05:45 AM

Cappy, are there resistance (ohms) measurements he can take on the switchbox (when it wont fire) that will let him know if it's the switchbox?

And what about the run/stop switch? Those can fail/be intermittent and can be easy to bypass with some jumpers when the engine wont start.

Nothing more frustrating than an intermittent electrical problem........

What about that fuel pump? It's probably easy to remove and disassemble to look for issues.

Woody, have you visually inspected the entire length of your inside-the-cowling fuel line system to make sure there is no where air is entering or fuel is escaping while it sits?

Cant imagine it's anything with the external fuel system since it's all new.

[Edited on 5-11-2014 by Hook]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 06:44 AM

there is moisture around the bowl where the fuel escapes when it is flooded. i thought maybe by leaving the fuel line connected it was causing too much pressure just sitting there all week but can't believe that is the issue.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 06:55 AM

steve55 on the first page had the answer woody...

its the fuel pump

its feeding the top carb when you use the ball under pressure then it runs out of gas

there is a rubber gasket inside that rots

replace it if possible
or rebuild it if the pump is part of the top carb

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 06:59 AM

when it fired yesterday it idled and revved just fine for 20 minutes. i'll go out in a bit and see if it is cured!

[Edited on 5-11-2014 by woody with a view]

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 07:16 AM

I 've had a couple of "driveway" boats...
they run great in the driveway but not on the water

you need to "field test" it before you bring it down to Baja

bring it and it WILL break!!!

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
when it fired yesterday it idled and revved just fine for 20 minutes. i'll go out in a bit and see if it is cured!

Yeah, 7am; why not!!! :lol:

Oh, wait, you're in the States! :saint:

The moisture around the bowl; is it gasoline or simply condensation. Taste it or sniff it.

If it's gas, it could be a failing float needle valve that is intermittently sticking. And eventually the rubber/plastic cap on the float needle valve will disintegrate, especially in exposure to ethanol, allowing too much fuel in; though this rarely prevents an engine from running.

I expect you have already removed the fuel bowl and sprayed the entire float mechanism arm with a carb cleaner. Work it back and forth. This might be the most common problem for an engine that's been sitting. If the float is stuck in the down position, pumping with the fuel line bulb will usually produce fuel exiting the carb at the top, in copious amounts. If the float needle is working it stops fuel from continuing to enter the fuel bowl (the fuel bowl is where the float and needle valve reside) with moderate pumping pressure.

A fuel pump leak from the gasket should be very evident. In fact, if you can verify that your float needle is fine, pumping with the bulb should produce leakage around the fuel pump..........or for that matter, anywhere there is a leak between the float needle and the fuel bulb. A fuel bulb manually pumped can develop lots more pressure on the fuel system than simply a running engine.

[Edited on 5-11-2014 by Hook]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 07:38 AM

i had a guy named Fernando the Outboard King in Santee go thru it last summer and rebuild the carb (so he said!) so i'm hoping he would have caught that. he is a great mechanic as far as i'm concerned, and is highly touted! i got a manual from mercury so i guess it's time to dig into it and the motor. seeing how i'm only home friday night thru sunday night time is not something i have too much of.....

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 07:57 AM

Woody, if you are having ANY issues or concerns with your outboard, don't leave shore without a VHF radio! Treat it as you will break down out there and prepare for it. In addition to VHF radio, I now carry an EPIRB just in case.

Hopefully you can fix it and get the gremlins out before you head south. Is your boat already down south or up here? (I know you have the engine up here.) if your boat is up here, I would definitely try to get it on the water somewhere and put some hours on it.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
i had a guy named Fernando the Outboard King in Santee go thru it last summer and rebuild the carb (so he said!) so i'm hoping he would have caught that. he is a great mechanic as far as i'm concerned, and is highly touted! i got a manual from mercury so i guess it's time to dig into it and the motor. seeing how i'm only home friday night thru sunday night time is not something i have too much of.....

Well, then I doubt the issue is anything with the parts in the carb......except that the float can stick in no time if fuel goes bad and the resulting "varnish" forces it to stick. But, again, a stuck float is usually evident by gasoline running out of the air intake or some other port on the top part of the carb. We used to rap the side of the carb with a screwdriver handle if the float was stuck and we were out on the water. That's a temporary fix; spraying the mechanism, internally, is the best solution.

I have to say that I am a fan of the Lucas Oil gas additives. I run some through every ten tankfuls or so in every gas operated engine I have.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 08:38 AM

i've got Lucas in it now, in addition to the quicksilver. i've only got about 1/2 gallon in the tank now as i'm trying to run this cleaning cycle thru it and have little or no fuel remaining so i can top off with ethanol-free Pemex in 3 weeks!

Pacifico - it is here. i have 2 handheld VHFs, one for the boat and one for the beach/other vehicle in the caravan. i won't have time to get it on the water prior to the trip. i'll make sure to run close to shore for awhile to see how she's running prior to heading offshore. worst case, i get some rowing in and shoot off a flare or 5!

:lol::lol::lol:

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.