BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Just Another Baja Adventure, March 2014!
catfish

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 11:19 AM
Just Another Baja Adventure, March 2014!

I really want to thank Baja Nomads for the GREAT information I found & received for planning my first Baja ride! It was a BLAST!
The ride report with photos (& videos still in progress) is on advrider.com.

Here's a few photos;

Window Rock Trail

22-Day Trail

22-Day Trail

22-Day Trail

Window Rock!

Enjoy & thanks again!

Catfish ...
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 11:28 AM

Looks like a BLAST!!
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 11:58 AM

Thanks for sharing, Looks like a lot of rain fell. Happy plants! That's the Baja countryside I really love.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 12:02 PM

That rock hole is cool! Tons of green out there! Thanks for sharing!

Tbone
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 12:09 PM

I have taken plenty of photos and video of way steep hill climbs and they all (with the exception of those taken from a distance) looked like no big deal. Very hard to show just how steep a hill is.

Cool photos and report.

Mas Pacifico
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 01:36 PM

These are wonderful (sans motorcycles). Looks like you had a lot of fun.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 02:06 PM

Just awesome... Love seeing boojum trees! Thanks for the look at the M/C trail... It is one of Bill Nichols trails, yes?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 02:13 PM

Awesome!!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 02:18 PM

That's some genuine single track riding. Thanks for posting.
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 06:05 AM

Great back country shots...thanks.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 09:52 AM

love the scenery. thanks for sharing.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
catfish

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Just awesome... Love seeing boojum trees! Thanks for the look at the M/C trail... It is one of Bill Nichols trails, yes?

The boojums are a trip! Yes, these were 3 of Bill Nichols older trails between Catavina, Bay of L.A., and the Pacific.

THANKS for your comments everyone! I used to get "Mojave Madness" every March. I think its "Baja Madness" now! ;-)

Catfish ...
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 06:39 AM

That was a nice report, thanks for posting the link.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 08:27 AM

Nice trip report, read it all on adv rider. Probably crossed paths down there. We were in a red jeep in the same areas(except the single track of course)
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 10:20 AM

I've been watching the Adv report as well. We did a 14 day ride to and from La Paz just a few weeks earlier. I haven't had a single track bike but might acquire one this summer, the byways in Baja are being paved and getting crowded. That's one sure way to avoid traffic.

We did run in to the group with Bill Nichols in San Ignacio during our trip. I would enjoy having someone who knows the terrain like that but the group was huge. It seems that a smaller group is much better. Did you produce your own GPS trax for your trip?

[Edited on 4-19-2014 by Sweetwater]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2014 at 01:21 PM

killer photos-the countryside is looking healthy! did you use a helmet mounted go-pro ?
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2014 at 03:25 AM

Awesome. I love the area, too. Never traveled east, tho. Living vicariously! Almost missed this post--pays to cruise around thru back pages. Thanks. Tio
catfish

[*] posted on 4-25-2014 at 09:30 AM

THANKS everyone for your comments! :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater
I've been watching the Adv report as well. We did a 14 day ride to and from La Paz just a few weeks earlier. I haven't had a single track bike but might acquire one this summer, the byways in Baja are being paved and getting crowded. That's one sure way to avoid traffic.

We did run in to the group with Bill Nichols in San Ignacio during our trip. I would enjoy having someone who knows the terrain like that but the group was huge. It seems that a smaller group is much better. Did you produce your own GPS trax for your trip?

[Edited on 4-19-2014 by Sweetwater]

It wasn't until I got the Beta in 2011 that I finally had a dirtbike I felt confident enough on to go play *anywhere*!

Bill is a trail-building genius. He's 74 this year & still building Baja trails! I'd love to meet him, but I bet he has quite the following now on his ATR (Arizona Trail Riders) club rides. I just wanna learn where his singletrack trails are, so I can go play there too!

Our group of 4, with 2 having 6+ gal tanks, worked well. Anders, Jim, & I had ridden together many times before. I had ridden with Ken twice in the past year. 4 to maybe 6 is a good group size for Baja.

I've read MANY dirtbike Baja ride reports. Most go to the same places. A few hint at locations of cool trails. Some will share their tracks if asked in private messages.

So yes, I built the gpx file of tracks & waypoints collected from ride reports & tracks of others. I also use the E32 map and Google Earth. When they all agree, I'm confident in the route. If the track does not follow a E32 line, I get all excited that it might be singletrack! ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by pappy
killer photos-the countryside is looking healthy! did you use a helmet mounted go-pro ?

The Pacific-side mountains were definitely greener that the sea-side mountains. I think the rain was about 2-3 weeks before we came thru.

Jim & I had small digital cameras for most of the photos. Mine is a Canon Powershot ELPH300HS. Nice, small, & takes GREAT photos. Later in the ride report, Anders is still posting youtube links to the GoPro video footage he took on the ride.

Catfish ...
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2014 at 09:50 AM

Fantastic trip report and photos! Rain = happy plants !!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-27-2021 at 09:03 AM

Another look at a great trip report on the Bill Nichols' Trail!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.