Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Visiting Baja for first time
walterbyrd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 05:02 PM
Visiting Baja for first time

Been here since Saturday night.

I am staying in San Antonio Del Mar - south-west Tijuana. Also visited Rosarito.

Spoke with a few local expats yesterday.

All the hoopla about crime is a local joke to everybody here. People around say they love the crime reputation because it keeps the costs down, and the area less crowed.

This area is a quite, sleepy, beach community. Very laid back. The people all seem very nice. The owner of the apartment, where I am staying, leaves his doors unlocked on his other units. I am sure there are bad areas, maybe 10 or 15 miles from here. But this place seems much safer, and quieter, than some parts of Denver.

Food is great. Restaurants are cheap here, maybe half the cost of eating in the US.

Everybody thinks the health care is excellent, and very affordable. Supposedly, TJ has a hospital that was ranked 18th in the world - better than anything you would find in San Diego. People pay about $60 a month for health insurance. Or, you can just pay out-of-pocket - it's cheap enough.

On the downside: the roads are often bad, and they do not have building standards like they do in the US. Also, it's very difficult, and very expensive, for Americans to get a home loan. They like to sell for all cash. When you buy a house here, it's like buying something at a yard sale, all cash, no warranties, and you get what you get - strictly buyer beware. The home wiring, and plumbing, etc. may have been done by people with no special training, or certification,

There are less English speakers than I thought there would be. I am getting by, but it's a little difficult.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 05:33 PM

My friend & his wife rented out their 2 homes in San Diego & moved to San Antonio about a year ago. They absolutely love it there! He has a Sentri pass and commutes across to work every day with no issues.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 05:59 PM

sounds like a great time! but hey, don't get too complacent in SADM, I was in a oceanfront studio and we had lowlife scramble down the cliffside, break-in thru a locked window and grab a wallet and laptop! anyway enjoy your trip!:yes:
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 06:59 AM

Well, Walter, how did you decide to go about getting there? Glad you're having a good time.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 09:47 AM

Like learning to swim. Start at the shallow end, and before you know it you'll be way out in the deep and loving every minute of it.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 10:29 AM

Based on my experience, expect that an intruder will enter an unlocked door or window. Or take something that is not locked up. It will happen if you allow it.

I like it in Baja, and Mexico overall, and I am gratefull to live in their country.
walterbyrd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Well, Walter, how did you decide to go about getting there? Glad you're having a good time.

Flew in, rented a car at San Diego airport, drove to Rosarito, stayed at Los Peliconos Hotel for first night. Now staying in San Antonio del Mar.

Los Peliconos Hotel is a dump. I am surprised that such a flea-bag hotel would be built on - what must be - super valuable beach front property. The beach there is beautiful. The Los Peliconos restaurant is also very nice, and cheap. You can eat right by the beach, it's great.

Went to Ensenada yesterday. What an amazing place. Not run-down, or congested, like much of Rosarito, or Tijuana. Ensenada reminded me of Santa Barbara. Wide, well paved, roads, lots of English speakers, some beautiful beaches.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by walterbyrd
Been here since Saturday night.

I am staying in San Antonio Del Mar - south-west Tijuana. Also visited Rosarito.

Spoke with a few local expats yesterday..............

Everybody thinks the health care is excellent, and very affordable. Supposedly, TJ has a hospital that was ranked 18th in the world - better than anything you would find in San Diego. People pay about $60 a month for health insurance. Or, you can just pay out-of-pocket - it's cheap enough.

Supposedly. We live in San Diego. San Diego has WORLD CLASS hospitals. Admittedly I have never been to any hospital in TJ and unless they carry me in unconscious I do not plan to. I would like to see the citation that says that any TJ hospital is better then anything in San Diego. I won't hold my breath. SADM looks like a nice place when you drive by. I have never noticed anyone ever in the ocean there. Wonder why? :saint:

Have fun and do lock your doors.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 11:05 AM

Great that your life experience has already begun! I personally think it was brilliant that you rented a car the first time...now you can bus it next time and at least know what to expect distance-wise.

Have a great rest of the trip.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
walterbyrd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Great that your life experience has already begun! I personally think it was brilliant that you rented a car the first time...now you can bus it next time and at least know what to expect distance-wise.

Maybe a little less that brilliant. We were not able to find anything. Tried using google maps, and following the directions, but that never seemed to work. With no Spanish, no Garmin, and no cell phone, navigation was extremely difficult. When we found something, it was by luck.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 04:20 PM

That is if you like to rough it. I don't like camping so give me Hotel Coral or Las Rosas. I also like the looks of Punto Chivato is there a nice hotel there? I will take a B and B as well.
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Until you get out of the city and at least 20 miles beyond Ensenada or any city, you are not going to experience the Baja most of us here have come to love. If city life and all that goes with it is what you seek, then fine. But, if you want to see the Baja that is different than any place else in the world, we can help you!

First off, get a good 4WD vehicle so you increase what you can see and do, and reduce the odd of getting stuck.

Next, get set up to live outdoors with a sun shade, tent, camp table and camp chairs. Camp stove and lantern, ice chest, and camp cookware is a good start.

Now, you can begin to enjoy Baja, be a part of the beautiful land and sea, and live longer far from the stress and crime of a city!

Bahia Concepcion

East Cape

Bahia San Rafael

Painted Caves

Spanish Missions from the 1700's

At least make one trip to the tip to get a feel for what Baja has to offer!

PS, all the places above were visited in one 2 week trip!

[Edited on 4-22-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 04:29 PM

Rent a car and go to the North Shore of Hawaii. Plenty of uninhabited beaches there.
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Nothing rough about how we camp, it is far more relaxing to be somewhere with no need for a time keeper... There are no hotels where we like to go, so we make our own 'hotel'.

As I said in my reply, some people like cities and all that civilization. We like to escape from civilization as we are in it all the time. Baja is that escape. You can stay in hotels anywhere, but where else can you have a beach like this, all to yourself?:

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Maybe a little less that brilliant. We were not able to find anything. Tried using google maps, and following the directions, but that never seemed to work. With no Spanish, no Garmin, and no cell phone, navigation was extremely difficult. When we found something, it was by luck.

Get a Garmin 2595LMT....has preloaded North America maps. Works great in Baja and shows all the streets. Have used it in TJ, Rosarito, Ensenada and points south

Also stop at any OXXO, Circle K or 7-11 stores and pick up city maps for TJ, Rosarito and Ensenada.

With the GPS and the city map, navigating is a snap.

[Edited on 4-22-2014 by bajaguy]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 04:43 PM

That beach in Baja is less than 6 hours drive from my home...

If I fly to Hawaii, I won't be bringing my camping gear! :cool:

edit: since EnsenadaDr reposted my photos, I removed the original posts so as to not fill the thread with double images.
When I read that the OP couldn't find anything in Ensenada, I thought maybe they were looking to find a different 'Baja' or may like to see more of Baja than just cities.

[Edited on 4-23-2014 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 04:51 PM

Quote:

Went to Ensenada yesterday. What an amazing place. Not run-down, or congested, like much of Rosarito, or Tijuana. Ensenada reminded me of Santa Barbara. Wide, well paved, roads, lots of English speakers, some beautiful beaches.

Glad you enjoyed our city!!!!. We looked all over the world for a retirement place and finally settled on, and in Ensenada....no regrets. Come back when you can spend more time!!!!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:

Glad you enjoyed our city!!!!. We looked all over the world for a retirement place and finally settled on, and in Ensenada....no regrets. Come back when you can spend more time!!!!

Totally agree that Ensenada is a wonderful town. So many great restaurants, and world class shopping. Even if you don't settle down there, there are so many fine hotels to stay. We prefer Hotel San Nicolas when we stay in town, and Estero Beach Hotel, we we was to be by the water.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.