BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 10:50 AM
In honor of Jose Wejebe

Got this today and thought I would share:

In Honor of Jose
"Pick Up Trash Day"
April 18-20

We all read the stories about what a wonderful mentor, fisherman, and Bro Jose was. I want you to know about the man that sat at my bar at the Square Grouper almost everyday for lunch, with his right hand man Mikey, and laughed. We would laugh so hard sometimes we would cry. I want to tell you about the man that would stop eating his lunch or dinner and talk to anybody that introduced themselves to him. Jose often ate a cold meal, because he was so polite and kind to his fans, and he never wanted them to feel slighted. About the man that brought me pink hibiscus out of his yard everyday when my mother was dying. About the man that picked up the phone one random night and called to see how I was doing because my mother had died, and he happened to have his mother visiting him. Little did I know, at the time, that we would lose him less then two months later. I planted a pink hibiscus in my yard to honor him.

I, like a lot of people still think about him everyday. Still miss him everyday. Still wish we had had more time on this earth with him. I often wondered what I could do to be a better person, to make a difference even if it was just a small contribution to society. I started to pick up trash on my morning walks. There is a lot of trash if you open your eyes and look. I think to myself, "What if everyone picked up a bag of trash a day?" "If everyone picked up a bag of trash just because it is the right thing to do, not because they were going to get something for it, just because they should?" I thought that this might be a way to honor a man that did good things not because he was going to get something for it; he did it because it was the right thing to do.

So, I challenge you! I challenge you to pick up one bag of trash from Good Friday (Jose died on a Good Friday) April 18th, 2014 to Easter Sunday, April 20th, 2014. More than one if you want, I won't stop you. Don't do it because you are going to get a t-shirt, money, or a prize. Do it because it is the right thing to do. Do it to help the oceans that Jose loved so much. Clean up your favorite fishing spot, boat ramp, shoreline, and hiking trail or just down the road from your house. Do it and then take a picture of you and the trash, go to the "Jose Wejebe Spanish Fly Memorial" Facebook Page and post the picture, or email it to Krissy (Jose's daughter) at krissy@josewejebefoundation.org. It would be awesome, if at this time, you also gave a donation to the Foundation. They are doing great things with Make a Wish and Veterans from the Recreational Department of the VA Hospital in Miami.

I can't wait to see all the people that loved Jose and want to honor him take up this challenge. Because of him, from this day forward, I strive to be a better person, to have more patience, be less selfish and more selfless ... To see the beauty in the simple things ... To be more adventurous ... To smile and laugh more ... To hug longer and to tell my friends I love them ... To be more like Jose. Let's see how much good we can do in one weekend. Please take this challenge. Share this challenge on your Facebook pages and lets see if we can get it around the world.

-- Lenore Baker

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 11:04 AM

An amazing man!!!! Met him twice...Taken way too early.....Pick up for Jose'!

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 11:08 AM

Thanks for the J Wejebe reference, don't know how many
BN' s will recognize the name, I remember his TV Fishing
Shows, he was extremely well thought of. I'm all with leaving a place cleaner than you found it, making the effort, especially in Baja
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 11:46 AM

http://www.josewejebefoundation.org/about-jose-wejebe/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/25/jose-wejebe-spanish...

http://www.josewejebefoundation.org/

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 12:53 PM

Cool, I'm in. Where'd I pack the big trash bags??

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 01:18 PM

Thanks Blanca for posting this. Sometimes we all need a kick in our burros to remember what's important.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 01:00 PM

Earth Day next weekend! Worldwide cleanup efforts. I'll wait until after the locals finish the Semana Santa this weekend before taking down a large trash bag. From my house you can hear the shouts of fun & excitement down on the beach. You couldn't do this in Huntington Beach! :bounce::cool: Tio
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 01:24 PM

lovely description of your friend. wonderful way to honor his memory.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 06:37 PM

So today, the only kid in town (everyone left for semana santa), Derek, and I went cleaning in honor of Jose. We picked an empty lot that always seems to get trash.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Lots of footprints but that is all we left:

Of course he got cake afterwards (I actually sent half the cake to his family)

It was a spice cake and came out really delicious:

I saw this in a neighbor's yard and am going to show everyone since it is a really easy way to keep DOG'S away from turning over trashcans. Not only that, this family used to have the absolute worst house with a yardfull of trash everywhere....look how spotless it is now (((((: The times they are a-changing for the better!

And lastly, Jose, we had this Mexican family stay at the B&B for semana santa. The dad works as an elementary school teacher as well as an elementary school director in Guerrero Negro. He mentioned that he was currently studying for a masters and English was causing him some stress. I offered to teach him (and his young son also participated while the rest of the family HID in their rooms LOL) and the man really took the classes seriously. Today he asked how much the classes were going to cost. I told him that in exchange for the classes, I asked that the whole family raise awareness about trash and cleaned up any part of G Negro that they wanted and that they post photos so I could see. They smiled and said they would work with their church cleaning.

That Jose, is for YOU!

The family on our front porch:

In front of the B&B:

Happy Easter everyone!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 06:40 PM

By the by, Pedro and I will continue the classes online via Skype.

Come visit La Bocana

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 07:13 PM

Baja is going to miss you, Blanca.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 07:36 PM

We are thinking of spending 6 months in La Paz and 6 months in La Bocana. I have already donated 30 books to the La Paz yacht clubhouse today and am scheduled to visit a La Paz orphanage this week with lots of donations ..... i ain't going too far away And I surely ain't stopping! This is the first part of our journey.

The advantages of a bigger city: we bought baguettes, and cheddar cheese, and swiss cheese and ate our sandwiches with silly smiles on our faces this afternoon. Priceless and we miss this kind of fun!

Come visit La Bocana

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 07:52 PM
Baja Blanca

Hola,,Mucho Gusto.....Its folks like you that bring me back to BN!! PLEASE...stay in touch with this board !! Thanx..K&T:cool:

[Edited on 4-21-2014 by captkw]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 08:08 PM

What a nice thing to say!

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.