Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Excellant Mexican blog to follow
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 04:31 PM

Haters gotta hate.

Keep on keeping on. We will look you guys up when we come down next spring.

Don't sweat the small stuff. :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 06:57 PM

Frank, either you're confused or I am:

Your words "Tenant law here is strong and landlords regularly take it in the shorts".

In the same post: "I know plenty of Mexicanos and Americanos that (sic) (who) own property and got nailed significantly."

If you don't want to own, and you see legal disadvantages as a landlord and you have already had to sue to gain your private ends as a legal tenant, what's left for you in the tropics?
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 10:09 PM

Great that you are finally comfortable.

That civil list in San Miguel is fantastic getting instant results from the expat folks. There is an attitude among them that I like a lot. Much different priorities then back home.

I think you will live well and prosper there ;D
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 03:28 PM

As I said I truly wish you happiness etc. After reading your response I recognize that our situation was different. Although my wife and I retired to Mexico our 2 children, who we are very close with, lived in Colorado. We travel with a dog so for us flying was not an option.-On our first "retirement" we thought the children would visit us frequently. We had a small but beautiful home directly on the Pacific Ocean-our front yard was the sandy beach. What we failed to realize was money was not the issue- it was time. Both had corporate jobs with two or three weeks of yearly vacation. During that two years our daughter visited once and our son twice. We traveled to Colorado 2 or 3 times a year and to the State of Washington where my parents live another two times a year. That travel was expensive, time consuming and winter travel ie Christmas a challenge. By the time we did our second retirement we had 5 grandchildren so we missed many additional birthdays, school plays, baseball games etc etc. Because we traveled so much to the US we had to carry US insurance in addition to Mexican insurance and buy Colorado tags. The medical insurance that we could get in Mexico was much cheaper but far inferior to what we had in the US. (During our second Mexico retirement we qualified for Medicare.) Maybe where you live medical is excellent but it wasn't where we lived. We had a neighbor that died of a heart attack (took over 2 hours for an ambulance to arrive) and another that severally cut his hand. I took the neighbor with the cut hand to the hospital where the Dr held his hand over a trash can to catch the blood while he attempted to clean the wound. I am not familiar with the strong Mexico tenant law that you refer to- we didn't have any big issues and the small ones we took care of ourselves. However, I have owned several rentals in the US and at least in Colorado landlords that let rentals deteriorate are severely dealt with. We were lucky in that our children both graduated from the Univ of Co Boulder where we paid in- state tuition. Had we been forced to pay out of State tuition I don't know how we or they could have afforded it. In summary, your situation is much different. I only wish the best for you and will enjoy reading your blog.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 05:52 PM

Soulpatch, I think you and your family are surely living fully! While your bad rental story was a nightmare, and you've shown your grit in getting through it, you seem to be more happily settled into a good place now. You might have more ups and downs coming as you grow into life in Mexico, and while I don't buy into the "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" line of thinking, the rough patches do provide insight to how your new chosen home functions, and the adaptations you have to make in your ways of thinking and functioning here.

We find Mexico to be a great place to live in spite of or maybe beause of the differences. I can't imagine moving back, hope we never feel we have to.

It sounds like you guys are a good match here too, best of luck to you!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 06:36 PM

Years from now you will be telling all your friends about the house from hell and getting a good laugh out of it. Take a deep breath and don't give up.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 10:31 AM

As soulpatch already knows, his wife's blog is one of my favorites. She writes from the heart and is so honest about the good and the not so good and the ugly.

Maybe it is because we have lived in a few different countries is one reason we enjoy it --- hearing all about what it is like for someone else. Maybe it is because we believe that life is all about change and relate in that way.

But what ever the reason, I really enjoy it and it is not full of the major BS that often is written here about everything being rosy. Of course, just as people don't need to read her blog if they don't like it, I don't need to read the BS here, but I still do.

Whatever direction they choose to follow, they are giving those kids and themselves a lifetime of education and memories. And both soulpatch and Mrs. soulpatch write quite well.

As far as giving them one year, well if they decide to make a change, they will still be moving forward and won't be stuck in a life of molding brains.

[Edited on 5-5-2014 by DianaT]
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 01:59 PM

I must admit reading this blog is a hoot. "We are in a working-class true Mexican town where spanish is the dominant language" I thought you moved to San Miguel de Allende?ŋ?ŋ Thanks for the morning laugh. Blog On!
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 02:13 PM

I guess the circles you move in has something to do with sending your kids to a Gringo school? Donīt try and bs a bser I know the owner and teachers at your circles you move in school. Remember I didnīt just discover SMA. I have history there:cool:

[Edited on 5-5-2014 by chippy]
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 03:00 PM

"a little less than half are gringo" but yours are the only white/gringo kids there:?: You are funny! I think this "deportiva school" musta been in San Francisco, Nayarit? are is present tense.

It isnīt the students Iīm referring to itīs the SCHOOL=100% GRINGO.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 03:25 PM

My comprehension problem is you said your kids are in deportiva. I would consider that a writing problem.

I guess you still believe you are the first gringos to discover Mexico? Sad and funny at the same time.

Do your homework and you will find out that SMA was discovered by gringos before you were born.

blog on:bounce::bounce:
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 04:17 PM

I have history in SMA but I would never school my kids there. The reference to gringos being there before you were born has nothing to do with Spaniards. My grandama was there in the 40s.

So soulpatch keep on blogging and believing you are the 1st gringo in Mexico. :rolleyes:
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 04:32 PM

Why are you being so hostile and rude, Chippy? Don't like the blog, don't read it. Move on. You sould like you'd have more fun over in Off-topic where you can argue, nitpick, and criticise in circles all day long over nothing with a bunch of other people who like to do the same. :rolleyes:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 04:37 PM

no need to go all the way over to OT, just go to "10 richest mexicans", the BAJABLOWHARDS are having a field day over there!:lol:
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
no need to go all the way over to OT, just go to "10 richest mexicans", the BAJABLOWHARDS are having a field day over there!:lol:

Just took a look - yes, they are having a field day over there, aren't they!
bajacalifornication
Junior Nomad

Mood: Maņana

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 10:26 PM

The problem Old chippy has. Is his grandma was there in the 40s he was there before soulpatch so his family knows SMA better than any other gringo. And also sounds to me as if
there is no history before his family arrived there. And no history after because
he has been there done that. Viejo rabo verde.

Todo por servir se acaba. Y acaba por no servir.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Anyway, I am off to a class... where I am the only white guy and nobody speaks English other than myself.
Stupid me..... I thought there would be more white-folk to teach me... oh, that's right, the same subject I was taking in San Pancho I was the only white guy out of about 20 adults....

How do you identify "white" vs non-white in Mexico? You seem to be using a racial classification term where perhaps you meant to use an ethnic classification.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 10:58 AM

Katie, you decided the other Mexican kids were North Americans. Good for you. You're a teacher and you know how important words and impressions can be -- on forums and in the classroom.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 09:37 PM

I love reading your blogs, especially the one about the American Dream, we are on the same page there! Voluntary simplicity and conscious living with intention...hail hail!

I commend you for living outside the box and in return have more time with your children, they grow so fast!

Please keep writing, there are some of us out here that appreciate your experiences, insight and streams of consciousness!

luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 04:48 AM

Quote:
Please keep writing, there are some of us out here that appreciate your experiences, insight and streams of consciousness!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX2

WE SAY NO TO BULLEYS......
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.