Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My first trip to Baja
walterbyrd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 03:39 PM
My first trip to Baja

Flew into San Diego and rented a car. Driving to Rosarito was easy enough. Once I was on highway 5, I just followed the signs. I did not even get stopped at the border. Never had to show my passport. I crossed the border around midnight, there was no waiting, I just drove right across. Going back over the border, traveling north, was a different story, more on that later.

Stayed the first night in a Rosarito hotel called "Los Pelicanos." The hotel looked nice on the website, and was rated 4.8 out of 5.0 on tripadvisor. But the place turned out to be a dump. The room was dirty, and uncomfortable. I was traveling with a friend, when he went to use the sink, he stepped on an upturned bottle-cap. He looked down to find hair, and garbage, on the floor. No air conditioning, no wifi, television did not work. Room smelled musty, and mildewy. Very noisy. A non-ocean facing room, with two beds, cost $60, and a $20 deposit for the remote (even though the tv did not work).

http://www.lospelicanosrosarito.com/rosarito-beach/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150774-d169755-Revi...

I found the restaurant at Los Pelicanos to be good. Right on the beach, inexpensive, and good food.

I spent most of my time in the south-west corner of Tijuana, an area just north of Rosarito, called "San Antonio del Mar." I would call the place a sleepy, quiet, beach community. Lots of English speaking expats.

In San Antonio, I went to a bar called “Plan-B” a few times. Seemed that everybody at Plan-B spoke English. Everybody there was very friendly.

Everybody in the US was warning me about the crime in Tijuana. All the hoopla about crime is a local joke to everybody here. People around say they love the crime reputation because it keeps the costs down, and the area less crowed. To me, the area seemed safer, and much quieter, than Denver, Colorado.

Everybody thinks the health care is excellent, and very affordable. People pay about $60 a month for health insurance. Or, you can just pay out-of-pocket - it's cheap enough.

Restaurant, and food stand, dining is good all over, and significantly less expensive than in the US.

Beer was more expensive than I expected. Years ago, in Puerto Vallarta, I could buy a beer in any convenience store for $0.35. Even less than that if I bought a six pack in a grocery store. Now, in Baja, it seems the prices are comparable to the US.

If, like me, you are thinking about living here, be aware: the roads are often bad, and they do not have building standards like they do in the US. Also, it's very difficult, and very expensive, for Americans to get a home loan. They like to sell for all cash. When you buy a house here, it's like buying something at a yard sale, all cash, no warranties, and you get what you get - strictly buyer beware. The home wiring, and plumbing, etc. may have been done by people with no special training, or certification. Homes with an ocean view and/or easy walking distance to the beach; may be less expensive than San Diego, but they are not all that cheap. Expect to pay, at least, $150K for anything decent. Everyplace seems to have HOA fees, they start at $60 a month. $200K will get you a nice condo, but expect HOA fees to be high - like $275 a month. You can rent a decent 1000 sq. ft. place, with ocean view, and beach access, for about $750 a month.

There are less English speakers, in TJ, than I thought there would be. I was able to get by - with practically no Spanish - but it's a little difficult.

The San Antonio del Mar area is only about 15 miles from the San Diego border. A lot of people live in TJ, and commute to San Diego, using a Sentri Pass. A Sentri Pass will get across the border right away. As I understand it, a Sentri Pass costs about $120 for five years, but it may take several months to get. California wages and TJ expenses - not too shabby if you can swing it.

I did not get to spend a lot of time in Ensenada. But what I did see seemed awesome. Unlike TJ, or Rosarito, Ensenada did not seem to have that congested, run-down, look. In Ensenada you have wide, well paved, roads. There seemed to be more English speakers in Ensenada than in TJ, or Rosarito. Shops, and eateries seems modern, and clean. Ensenada reminded of me of Santa Barbara, only nicer - and that is saying something. Ensenada has nice views, nice beaches, and cruise ships. Of course, Ensenada is significantly further from the border, and the main road to Ensenada is out - probably for several more months.

I was there in April, the temperature was in the 70s, and the water was cold. But, I was determined to swim in the ocean, and I managed to acclimate, and to try and do some body surfing. It would be no problem with a light wet-suit. If you are a surfer, the waves are decent. The waves are not that big, but they are regular, and the beaches are not crowded at all.

Coming back across the border was a nightmare. It’s crazy confusing. We tried to stay away from the Sentri Pass lanes, were not able to avoid them. We were, eventually, waved into a Sentri pass lane, although we told them we had no pass. We were lectured, twice, about how severe the penalties could be for using a Sentri pass lane with no Sentri pass: $5000 fines, and having your car impounded. Considering how insanely difficult it can be to get across the border, and avoid these lanes, that all seemed a little unfair to me. If you are not thoroughly familiar the northbound border area, it would be very easy to get in a situation where you cannot avoid the Sentri pass lanes.

They decided to inspect our car, and it took hours. First we had to go through a car x-ray (how can you x-ray a car?). Then they make you park, and wait, and wait, and wait. Then they dig through all your stuff, ask you questions, and make you wait some more. Nobody even seems busy, the just sit around, or walk by, and ignore you. Really awful.

Anyway, that’s about all I can think of, for now.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by walterbyrd

But the place turned out to be a dump. The room was dirty, and uncomfortable. I was traveling with a friend, when he went to use the sink, he stepped on an upturned bottle-cap. He looked down to find hair, and garbage, on the floor

There are a lot of less than so-so rooms in Mex at $60, especially when I can't seem to get my mind out of
the '80's in Baja,
when a decent room was $16 dlls , case beer in La Paz in '89
or so, was a tick under $3dlls, about $.15 a bottle
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2014 at 08:22 AM

That was actually a very good assessment of all thing Baja. Sounds like you really talked to lots of folks.

Interesting how the worst part was being lectured at my Americans ....as if those guys don't ever make a mistake themselves.....right?

Thanks for posting the results!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DocRey
Nomad

Mood: Cautiously Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-25-2014 at 05:18 PM

Agree. Pretty much spot on. I live in SADM when I'm down there & currently dealing with C.B.P. regarding SENTRI. :barf:
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 02:39 PM

I rent a very nice apartment in Playas on the hillside above the beach for $350/month. US standards, quality construction, and responsive management if anything needs service. I have a thread on this forum with photos.

There are many nice apartments in the 400 - 500 range. There are many very nice developments in the Playas to Rosarito corridor.

There are very deluxe apartments in the 1000 range.

If you take no other advice on Baja, take this. Rent first. Take your time. Explore. Ask questions, listen. Look at many places. Do not go pay $200K for some beach condo.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Flew into San Diego and rented a car. Driving to Rosarito was easy enough. Once I was on highway 5, I just followed the signs. I did not even get stopped at the border. Never had to show my passport. I crossed the border around midnight, there was no waiting, I just drove right across…...

First time to Baja, cross South at midnight?

You have to be really brave or naive to do this but then maybe I'm out of touch.

There are parts of Denver you don't want to be after midnight, New Orleans too.

Thinking TJ is safe late at night is tempting fate. I could be wrong.

Late night Cabo is tempting fate too.
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 03:26 PM

I've been all over TJ at night. Like any city, there are parts you don't go to. But Walter was only going onto the toll road—SADM is just south of the first caseta. There's no problem crossing south and taking the little bridge across onto Ave. Internacional to get to SADM.
walterbyrd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 12:13 PM

After I crossed the border, around midnight: I stayed on the highway until I reached my hotel in Rosarito. I made no stops between the car rental place in San Diego, and Los Pelicanos Hotel in Rosarito. I was driving highway speeds most of the time. I never felt threatened, but maybe I was just lucky.
walterbyrd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SlyOnce
I rent a very nice apartment in Playas on the hillside above the beach for $350/month. US standards, quality construction, and responsive management if anything needs service. I have a thread on this forum with photos.

Sounds great. Can you show me the thread?

Psychologically, I am ready to move. But, I have a lot of obstacles. Have to fix up my house, and sell it. Get rid of a *lot* of stuff I've accumulated. Complete a job contract that I'm working on. Convince my wife to move.

Up until about 15 years ago, I never owned more stuff than I could fit in my car. I miss those days. I also miss California. I need to unburden myself, and get back to where I was.
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 07:34 AM

View this thread

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=72830
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SlyOnce

Up until about 15 years ago, I never owned more stuff than I could fit in my car. I miss those days. I also miss California. I need to unburden myself, and get back to where I was. [/quote:NOW you've got a plan!:yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.