Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: BFG KO2 now in production
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 04:07 PM

You can't wait just a few more months for the rollout of the KO2s? The 20% improvement in gravel road durability should make a difference in maintaining your investment. But, if you're down in the 5/32nds zone, I understand you wanting to change your tires out immediately.

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 07:37 AM
Rollout

I was at America's Tire yesterday (5/23) to have a nail puncture repaired and rotation/balance and the fellow said he thought maybe two months for the KO2 release. He said he had no reliable source for that, except his experience with BFG.

John M
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 12:19 PM

I'll wait a few months just to get a new set of the KO2s. I need a LT265/75R16 for my Toy.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 04:40 PM
BFGoodrich KR2 A/T

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 05:08 PM

Well, they are pretty...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 09:08 AM

LOL, looks like the Grabber from General Tire gave them an idea to sell tires!?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 05:10 PM

Anyone seen any in the stores? I'm gonna go shopping Friday.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 07:17 PM

Funny, but in all my sidewall failure observations, I see no advantage to BFGs '3 ply' sidewall... On the other hand, in all the 'cheaper' 2 ply sidewall tires I have run, NONE have had a sidewall failure... nor the Cooper Discoverer STT 3 ply sidewall tires I once ran.

Last week, but the driver said it wasn't the tire's fault for his hitting that rock:

Amo Pescar's camper with brand new BFG All Terrain TA's while I was passenger, also had a similar, but smaller failure. Maybe it's me and not the 3 ply sidewalls???

:lol:

Anyway, don't let the sidewall having one extra ply lull you into thinking it is automatically a better tire...

:light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 07:47 PM

Well I was waiting for them but since no one knows when they will arrive I decided to take advantage of the Pro Comp sale and had 4 new Pro Comp Xtreme ATs installed. They claim to be 50,000 mile tires with a somewhat rugged tread, more so than the BFG. The mag ad said tri ply sidewalls but on the tire it says two ply poly. The on line specs say two ply poly sidewall with two ply rubber cover. I figure just ad BS. But at about $50 per tire cheaper than a BFG TA KO I figured to give em a try. The on line user reports are somewhat mixed. Some say they are hard to keep balanced which seem odd in that once balanced why would they get un-balanced unless you are throwing the weights or losing chunks of tread. Others say they had seperation on the sidewall. But many say they were great. Oh well.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Well I was waiting for them but since no one knows when they will arrive I decided to take advantage of the Pro Comp sale and had 4 new Pro Comp Xtreme ATs installed. They claim to be 50,000 mile tires with a somewhat rugged tread, more so than the BFG. The mag ad said tri ply sidewalls but on the tire it says two ply poly. The on line specs say two ply poly sidewall with two ply rubber cover. I figure just ad BS. But at about $50 per tire cheaper than a BFG TA KO I figured to give em a try. The on line user reports are somewhat mixed. Some say they are hard to keep balanced which seem odd in that once balanced why would they get un-balanced unless you are throwing the weights or losing chunks of tread. Others say they had seperation on the sidewall. But many say they were great. Oh well.

Thanks TW... keep up the reporting on tires.

I currently am running The Dakota AT tires from Pep Boys (made by Cooper), and have 12,000 totally trouble free miles on them, so far. New Tire Photo:

I joined the SoCal Tacoma gang last night for a night desert run at Ocotillo Wells (8 pm to 4 am) and the tires were great in sand and mud (Fish Creek/ Split Mountain was underwater)!

[Edited on 7-7-2014 by David K]

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 08:31 AM

DK,

Load that truck up with more than a tent and cooler, like a camper.. Then run it up on the SCarlos Mesa and out through progresso with those coopers on there... Then report back...

T-dubya..... Hate to say it, shoulda spent the dough on the bfg's....

Of all the Baja running I've done over the last twenty years, with bfg's on, (after massive failure with other products in the years prior) DK is the ONLY person I've heard trash them...

Holding tight for the new KO's! 8 sets, 1 nail puncture, 20 years... Sold
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 08:49 AM

65K + miles on my BFG All Terrain TA's. No major issues. I think I had to plug a tire a while back, but I beat these tires to death. Time to get new ones.

Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 10:12 AM

DK, I'm curious, the photo of the sidewall puncture, was the tire deflated when this happened, or were you running fully inflated? I'm on my third set of BFGs and have had no problems. I always worry that while running deflated,18 to 20 lbs. that the sidewall is more likely to be damaged, although I've never had a problem.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 10:25 AM

I've been running BFG All Terrain TA's, mostly on Ford F-150s, for over 20 years without a single sidewall failure, and only one tread puncture that couldn't be repaired. I guess people's mileage must vary.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 10:47 AM

Big O Tires says the new tires are out but had none in stock. That's what the one in Poway just told me.

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 01:32 PM

Calling my local tire guy! And big O.... Will report back, ready to pull the trigger...
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 01:40 PM

Big brand just told me fall 2014..

$860 on the truck for the old one 275/16
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 05:37 PM

Guys... I have had new BFGs on all three of my Tacomas, but they were Rugged Trail TAs... all of them gave less than ideal life, small rock flats in the tread are common, and the Tacoma World forum members call them 'Rugged Fails'. That would be trash talking.

I am reporting on the All Terrain TA, which most of you love like an old chair, and I am only reporting what I saw being in the trucks (heavy Ford trucks) that were running them... I was NOT driving.

Amo's were not deflated, and I don't know what Ron was running his at... but not obviously much below normal pressure if he deflated at all.

Ron saw the rock and accepted blame for driving into it. Amo did not see any rock and it was a sandy road we were on with his failure.

I also see MANY All Terrain TAs with sidewall rips on the sides of Baja roads. It could be just that the All Terrain is the most popular tire and that is why more of them are littering the deserts of Baja?

Baja Angel ran them on her Jeep CJ-5 for many years and loved hers... like all of you.

GREAT!!

But, if I was a news reporter, I would just be reporting on what would seem like a frequent issue with this one brand. No trash talk just reporting facts. The three plys in BFGs do not make this tire failure proof.

Now shop and decide for yourself... not just the one most popular brand.

By-the-way, Cameron Steele runs Yokohama as does Doug (BajaNomad). My favorite all terrain tires so far are the Hankook Dynapro ATM, followed by Toyo Open Country AT and Cooper Discoverer ATR. The Cooper/Definity Dakota AT has been fine, but I want to see how long it lasts for me.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Big brand just told me fall 2014..

$860 on the truck for the old one 275/16

Yep, I don''t think they're out yet and was probably given bad info this morning.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 07:51 PM

Been running Toyo AT's on my Dodge diesel and Toyota FJ cruiser for years, never had a flat for any reason. I don't do a lot of airing down in rocky terrain unless absolutely necessary which isn't often. I've run the BFG's with good results but tread wear isn't good on the heavy Dodge.....but then again neither is the Toyo.

Guess it's all a matter of preference and luck....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.