BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SATELLITE RADIO FOR THE BOAT?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

eureka.gif posted on 12-9-2004 at 07:09 AM
have you simply contacted XM yet?

go to their web site. they surely want to sell hardware and subscriptions to all facilities. i have more than one friend who have put it into their planes. and it's FAA cert. stuff, so XM was thinking way ahead on that.
Personally i wouldn't pay for such a service , there's way too much free stuff out there if you know how to digitally record on line and off air.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 08:07 AM

Pompano,

Yes there are marine units for sat radio. We have it, use a docking system, whereby the receiver can be taken with and used in home, car or boat. You just set up a dock in each location you wish to receive the signal.
While its true one can record much these days and mp3 and other formats are making disc fumbling/handling/skipping a thing of the past, we like to listen to Dodger and Angel gamesand news programs and Prarie Home Companion etc and the selection of music is outstanding.
West Marine/Bots US sells marinized units or any of the electronic retail dealers has car/home systems.
It works everywhere in Baja. Hope this helps.
Jorge
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 09:16 AM
Prairie Home Companion

Too funny George. I haven't heard that in a long time. I think I need satellite radio!:light:
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 07:21 AM

buy an extra dock for the boat and it will work. my friend has had problems with his taking it on the boat because of the jarring effect of the boat on swell, i think its still the way to go tho.:coolup:
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 08:51 PM

Yep, works fine.

We have XM in our house at Pta Bufeo, in our boat there, in our truck on the way there, in our Volvo at home.

Use the same little unit to transplant to each "dock."

Only problem has been an occasional "freeze-up" where the unit seems to heat to a point that it resists any changes in volume, channels, or otherwise, but Delphi has been working with me on the problem. It appears to be a hardware problem and even though it's three years old, they have suggested that I might want to exchange it for a new unit (no cost to me since I've kept them apprised of this problem from the beginning).

Nice company.

CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 09:42 PM
Here's the footprint map for the XM signal...

We have it in the house and car here in Mulege, and in the boat tomorrow Lord willing and the creeks don't rise.

[Edited on 12-11-2004 by CasaManzana]
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 12:44 AM
Bufeo

I recently bought a Delphi Skyfi unit to use in their 'boom box' and it's just started to give me problems changing volumn...guess I'm going to have to find out how to also proceed with some 'warranty' consideration. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

The trusty 'old' Sony XM unit I use in the car and in our home stereo just keeps purring along!

I'm now in the process of collecting some good speakers and an amp/pre amp to hook the XM receiver too, so I can generate some 'good vibrations' when in the out back, or down on the beach at Concepcion...should be a real 'blast'...:O

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 01:54 PM

Mexray,
Our "problem" with the Delphi has not been easy to describe and Delphi definitely has not come up with a remedy, but they have responded to my limited e-mails.

First off, the "seizures" began over a year ago. After about a half-hour, ? a few minutes, the unit would freeze, that is, it would not allow us to change channels, adjust volume, change modes, anything...but it would remain on. Music, news, talk, whatever would continue until you cut off the power source.

We could not turn it back on until the unit cooled down.

Then, last summer/fall we set off on an extended trip north with the thought that we would contend with the matter later and just cope for six weeks.

Well, miracle of miracles, the problem never showed its ugly head. At all, nada, zip: the set worked fine for the entire trip.

Well, my last e-mail from Delphi before we took our trip seemed to indicate that the problem might have been in their xmissions; so I thought our problems were over.

Alas, not so. When we went to Baja in October and took the unit out of the truck (docking stn there) and plugged it into the "boombox" in our house, the problem occurred again.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc, eh? I now thought the problem might be w/the boombox. Nope, on the way home in the truck, same problem.

We've been so busy and traveling back and forth to Baja so much that I haven't been in one place long enough to have a meaningfull dialog with Delphi. That will probably continue until January.

Delphi has not backed away from the issue. At one point, they told me to take it back to the merchant and they would honor an exchange. That was problematic for me since we now live in AZ and purchased the unit in CA.

Not to worry. Delphi seems to be willing to make this right for us, and, even though it's taking a while to remedy the situation, I have no complaint with Delphi yet...especially since we still enjoy the music. We just set it to a channel we think we'll like for a couple of hours and leave it alone.

BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 07:52 PM
Are the Dodger & Angels carried on the service? I live in Northern CA and miss them.

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 09:21 PM

My Sony has worked just great for about 2 1/2 years now. Wish they still made them.

I have 3 docking stations, one in my truck, one in the garage where I work on my projects and one in the trailer where we live. Of course, in the truck it's on 12V which works fine (in all my trucks) but it won't work on 12 V in the trailer??? Plug it in to 110 and all is well so it's not a real problem for me. But I know that the modified sine wave put out by many inverters does funny things to electronic equpment. I can't get a answering machine to work properly.

Best 10 bucks a month I've ever spent.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
...Best 10 bucks a month I've ever spent.

We agree.:bounce:..that is, the best 10 bucks a month we've ever spent.

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 08:12 PM
XM radio in a boat

As I write this on Marina de la Paz WiFi setup, I am sitting in my sailboat listening to the XM radio. Same system we had in the truck driving down, just moved to to the boat. Soilid reception down, and here in La Paz. Am using the same antenna, but there is a marine version available. Attached it to a piece of galvanized sheet steel a put on deck thru a port. Good US news (well, not always good), stock reports, and commercial free music. Sure is worth the 10 bucks. We took the regular radio antenna off the truck. With the FM modulator for XM I can use a small portable radio with ear buds anywhere within 50 ft.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.