Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: INTERNET EXPLORER BUG
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 03:59 PM
INTERNET EXPLORER BUG

U.S. Government Suggests that You Switch from Internet Explorer

A newly discovered Internet Explorer security bug has left Web security in jeopardy. Though Microsoft has agreed to soon release a patch

That isn’t just our advice: Even the federal government has suggested changing Web browsers until Microsoft fixes Internet Explorer.

there are a few good alternatives to Microsoft’s built-in browser, including Opera, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. Chrome and Firefox are the two most popular alternatives. Each of these browsers will let you import your old browser history and bookmarks, too, so you don’t have to start from scratch after switching.

BE CAREFUL,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 05:01 PM

I believe the problem is isolated to Windows XP, which the Microsoft folks stopped supporting recently. Microsoft is now scambling to get it fixed with a patch.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 05:08 PM

http://time.com/78828/internet-explorer-microsoft-security-f...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 05:14 PM

How convenient.............for Microsoft and their desire to get people off XP. :smug:
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 06:14 PM

I was looking at the site stats today and for the past month. Today, IE use is the highest among browsers (over 30%).

For the past month:
- Safari 27.32%
- IE 27.23%
- Chrome 24.13%
- Firefox 16.75%
- Android Browser 3.31%

Also for the past month, IE version:
- 11.0, 51.28%
- 10.0, 16.95%
- 8.0, 15.56%
- 9.0, 13.29%
- 7.0, 1.91%
- 5.5, .93%

And for the past month, "Windoze" version:
- 7, 61.64%
- XP, 15.33%
- Vista, 7.97%
- 8, 7.75%
- 8.1, 6.71%
- Win98, .43%

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 07:39 PM

i have been informed by a very reliable source that it is NOT only related to XP.

make your own decision.

I AM ONLY PASSING INFO.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
I was looking at the site stats today and for the past month. Today, IE use is the highest among browsers (over 30%).

For the past month:
- Safari 27.32%
- IE 27.23%

Looks to me like Safari is winning by a fraction?

I'm probably looking at the wrong numbers. I can't believe that Safari is even that close.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 09:05 PM
Browsers

You Would be Wise to check out "STARTPAGE" AS YOUR browser....has won awards for sercurity and protection..works for me and many friends.....K&T
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I believe the problem is isolated to Windows XP, which the Microsoft folks stopped supporting recently. Microsoft is now scambling to get it fixed with a patch.

It's related to Internet Explorer not XP and if you are running XP the patch for IE won't work. Best to switch browsers and update to Windows 7 or 8. Just my 2 cents.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Quote:

For the past month:
- Safari 27.32%
- IE 27.23%

Looks to me like Safari is winning by a fraction?

I'm probably looking at the wrong numbers. I can't believe that Safari is even that close.

Safari is the default browser for the iPad and iPhone.

;)

mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 06:23 AM

Pretty good explanation from USA Today.....if you are going to keep using IE turn off the Adobe Flash plug in.

SAN FRANCISCO — The U.S. Department of Homeland security is advising Americans not to use the Internet Explorer Web browser until a fix is found for a serious security flaw that came to light over the weekend.

The bug was announced on Saturday by FireEye Research Labs, an Internet security software company based in Milpitas, Calif.

"We are currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem," the Department of Homeland Security's United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team said in a post Monday morning.

It recommended that users and administrators "consider employing an alternative Web browser until an official update is available."

The security flaw allows malicious hackers to get around security protections in the Windows operating system. They then can be infected when visiting a compromised website.

Because the hack uses a corrupted Adobe Flash file to attack the victim's computer, users can avoid it by turning off Adobe Flash.

"The attack will not work without Adobe Flash," FireEye said. "Disabling the Flash plugin within IE will prevent the exploit from functioning."

While the bug affects all versions of Internet Explorer 6 through 11 it is currently targeting IE9 and IE10, FireEye stated.

The attacks do not appear to be widespread at this time. Microsoft said it was "aware of limited, targeted attacks that attempt to exploit" the vulnerability.

These are called "watering-hole attacks," said Satnam Narang, a threat researcher with computer security company Symantec in Mountain View, Calif.

Rather than directly reach out to a victim, the hackers inject their code into a "normal, everyday website" that the victim visits, he said. Code hidden on the site then infects their computers.

"It's called a watering-hole attack because if you're a lion, you go to the watering hole because you know that's where the animals go to drink."

FireEye said the hackers exploiting the bug are calling their campaign "Operation Clandestine Fox."

Microsoft confirmed Saturday that it is working to fix the code that allows Internet Explorer versions 6 through 11 to be exploited by the vulnerability. As of Monday morning, no fix had been posted.

Microsoft typically releases security patches on the second Tuesday of each month, what's known as Patch Tuesday. The next one is Tuesday, May 14. Whether the company will release a patch for this vulnerability before that isn't known.

About 55% of PC computers run one of those versions of Internet Explorer, according to the technology research firm NetMarketShare. About 25% run either IE9 or IE10.

Computer users who are running the Windows XP operating system are out of luck. Microsoft discontinued support of the system on April 8.

Symantec is offering XP users tools to protect themselves, which it has made available on its blog.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 07:27 AM

I wonder if the government found this problem while gathering our personal and private information.

Maybe the government is concerned about competition to the spy business. Or is this a ruse to appear to be concerned for our privacy after getting caught in the cookie jar. Both???
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 07:30 AM

Quote:
I was looking at the site stats today and for the past month. ...

- Win98, .43%

Now THAT'S impressive. Heck, I thought that when I went from XP to 7 a few months ago that MY software was old. "98" ...wow!

Good on ya', whoever you are.

Allen R
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
I wonder if the government found this problem while gathering our personal and private information.

Maybe the government is concerned about competition to the spy business. Or is this a ruse to appear to be concerned for our privacy after getting caught in the cookie jar. Both???

Truth is that part of the problem is that many government computer systems are also victims.
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 02:32 PM

Microsoft just issued a fix and it includes XP. Download from Windows update.

http://usat.ly/1jlH6ht

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.