Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need advice
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 07:43 PM
Need advice

Hello everyone. I am in the market for a a good used boat and would like your input. I am looking at a 2005 Mako 171 center console with a 2005 90 horse Mercury Optimax. The boat looks to be in very good condition and the motor runs very well; the owner is a diesel mechanic. I have a buddy that is going to go take a look at it for me this weekend; I am on the east coast, the boat is on the west coast. It has a fish finder, but that's it for electronics. It comes with a galvanized trailer which is in good shape. The price is just under $9k. If the motor is good, and the boat is in good shape, do you think this is a decent deal?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 08:41 PM

What type of fishing do you plan to do? Are you going to tow it back east? If you are planning on taking it to San Lucas Cove to fish that area it sounds ideal. If you are looking for a boat for the east coast there are probably lots of good deals to be had there without having to pull it 3000 miles (6000 if you come out west to get it).

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 08:46 PM

you need captKW's opinion on that particular motor. where is ya cappy?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
you need captKW's opinion on that particular motor. where is ya cappy?

It's a 2 smoke, cappy will love it..;D

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 08:55 PM

I will be using it at san lucas cove and california. We are moving back to california this summer.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 09:45 PM
LOL,,

I have never seen,worked on a 90 opti.......very rare motor!! buying a boat/RV/truck from one coast to the other adds many factors.....That said,,a compression check and ECU (computer) readout would well advised....also gear case drain plug inspect....AKA oil ck..I have all the merc's TSB's on a diff laptop that I cannot access at this moment.....BTW,,,I had a 23 mako in costa rico w/235 e/rude and lost money as a captain...235 rude likes gas,,,But a mako is better made than a boston.....I Would suggest you look deeper,,, before you by
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I have never seen,worked on a 90 opti.......very rare motor!! buying a boat/RV/truck from one coast to the other adds many factors.....That said,,a compression check and ECU (computer) readout would well advised....also gear case drain plug inspect....AKA oil ck..I have all the merc's TSB's on a diff laptop that I cannot access at this moment.....BTW,,,I had a 23 mako in costa rico w/235 e/rude and lost money as a captain...235 rude likes gas,,,But a mako is better made than a boston.....I Would suggest you look deeper,,, before you by

What type of data/information will the ECU (computer) readout provide?
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 07:15 AM

How far from the border is it? Why not wait until you are here in the summer to find a deal on something? The longer I look for an item, I get a better deal and a better item. Negotiating from the east coast and not seeing the boat would seem to be a disadvantage. There are many boats for sale in CA. There are great deals to be had if you watch closely and are ready to buy.

So, I my mind, it depends if you want a "decent" deal or a great deal?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.