Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heaven on a Plate
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 02:42 PM
Heaven on a Plate

Heaven, Greek style

This afternoon, we decided to head over to Apostoli's Greek restaurant, right on our very own street, Madero. It came so highly recommended and it delivered. Big time.

The Entrance

As you walk in, the view towards the back room porch area, where we ate. To the right here is a bar which I did not photograph but it is imposing.

And a close up of the writing on the wall

As you pass the entrance, this private table is to the left

And this one is to the right

Maria, the chef with 6 years experience, trained by the owner. He was in Todos Santos for the day, but we heard he has opened and closed many restaurants in Cancun, Acapulco, Los Barriles and Todos Santos.

Carlos, the waiter, very competent at his job

I took a moment to look up how to say CHEERS in Greek, not too simple, it turns out:

The wall is filled with empty bottles, signed by customers, neat idea:

This is a view from the back porchroom, where we ate, towards the front of the restaurant. The restaurant atmosphere totally hits the mark. You feel in Greece here, surrounded by bottles and vines and the smell of olive oil, tomato, olives and garlic in the air!

And the hummus and pita, both made here and the hummus was full of garlic and simply delicious

And here is the meal....Les had fusilli shrimp in a tomato sauce and there was so much, he ended up taking half home

I had a gyros combo with a Greek salad. Also so much that half went home to be consumed later.....this was so good, I wish you could taste it right now. The meat had not one ounce of fat on it, it was melt in your mouth good, with an amazing sauce and the salad was just perfectly dressed with a homemade dressing. Ahhhh Heaven !

Carlos brought out some homemade Greek bread, perfect for soaking up juices

We ordered one each of these desserts to eat at home....we were just too full to even consider eating more!

This one is called "gadaif". Not only have I never eaten it, I have to admit, I've never even heard of it:

And this is the famous baklava

Now I know why people were talking about this place. No one had anything bad to say and neither do we. It was moderately priced at 600 pesos for both of us. This included water for me and a couple beers for Les. Not a bad price for what was Heaven on a Plate and enough for 2 more meals, easy.

Bon Appetite, should you go there!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

Heaven, Greek style

Bon Appetite, should you go there!

Wish I could. It looks YUMMY.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 05:05 PM

What? No Mythos beer?

I do find it interesting, having never been to this restaurant, but will do next trip, on Tripadvisor, this restaurant is rated as #12 among all restaurants in La Paz. That said, Tailhunter is #1, and Jesse's Tres Virgenes is 23. Got no idea what that means.
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 06:10 PM

It's pronounced pronounced Ka-ta-ee-fi. Here's a description of it.

Kataifi, along with Baklava is one of the most popular and delicious Greek Desserts. It is made with a special type of pastry called kataifi or kadaifi.

The pastry is like angel hair pasta and when rolled up resembles shredded wheat. It is often referred to as shredded wheat dessert. A delectable nutty centre is rolled inside crisp, thread like strands of pastry, baked, then soaked in a sweet syrup.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 06:17 PM

Great work blanca, being a chef myself I really enjoy the insight you are giving on your dining experiences BTW that chef is HOT!!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 06:27 PM

I never thought to ask about Greek beer but then again the waiter never mentioned it when Les asked for a beer either. Going by the signs on the wall, wine is the drink of choice.

glad that you all are enjoying the adventures, readers, and be sure to comment every so often because otherwise I think I am writing to the walls.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 06:29 PM

tjsue -thanks for the info on kataifi

it really was just like shredded wheat and not as tasty as the baklava

Come visit La Bocana

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 09:57 PM

Thank you! Adding this to my list...

And I've had this dessert at a local Greek eatery, served warm, filled with a custard, drizzled with a sweet honey and rose water syrup. I like it a lot, and baklava too.

Any photos of menu as you did with other places, to check out other options?

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
tjsue -thanks for the info on kataifi

it really was just like shredded wheat and not as tasty as the baklava

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 08:36 AM

It really is great having a Greek restaurant in your town. We have one, too; run by a Greek, no less.

I just love the way the Greeks season meat, especially lamb.

[Edited on 5-2-2014 by Hook]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 10:21 AM

They had lots of lamb dishes .... But we are both not too big on lamb.

Come visit La Bocana

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 10:34 AM

For some reason the Greek Gyros are called Donairs in Canada and are not as good IMHO

"Donair has gained popularity throughout the Atlantic provinces of Canada, and is also available in some other areas of the country. Halifax donair meat is sliced from a loaf cooked on a vertical spit, made from a combination of ground beef, flour or bread crumbs, and various spices. The sauce is distinctively sweet compared to doner kebabs, being made from evaporated milk, sugar, vinegar, and garlic. The meat and sauce are served rolled in a flatbread with diced tomato and diced onion. While not included on "original" donairs, some restaurants add lettuce and/or cheese as well.

Bob Durrell
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 12:42 PM

Glad to see you finally made it there we have been lov'en this place for a long time now and the cook (really sorry you did not get to meet him) is a first class old school chef and gentleman. I recommend, for your next stop, eating at "Nim" corner of Revolucion y Hidalgo. They are the recently opened new kids on the block and serve absolutely superb food. Our friends from the SF bay area ate there last week and declared the meal the best they have had in two years. That's from people that live near San Francisco! The chef/owner can flat bring it.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 04:43 PM

What kind of food does Nim serve? It is on our list!

Come visit La Bocana

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
on Tripadvisor, this restaurant is rated as #12 among all restaurants in La Paz. That said, Tailhunter is #1, and Jesse's Tres Virgenes is 23. Got no idea what that means.

What that means?

I won't even go in to Tailhunter, and this Greek place has some of the best food I've tasted in La Paz. Guess that means... that Tripadvisor and I don't share the same tastes! :lol:

I never considered Tripadvisor to be an accurate measure, whether hotels or restaurants. In fact, we have actually stayed at poorly rated hotels and had a great time. You have to read the individual reviews to determine the actual worth of any establishment.

That said, I imagine that Tailhunter gets high marks simply because it is a sports bar. Tailhunter is not a place to go for anything resembling a gourmet meal. For us, its only allure is that you can get Negro Modelo on draught by the pitcher. I really plan to check out the Greek place next trip. We have spent considerable time traveling throughout Greece and on six of the islands.

Back to Tripadvisor for a second. For a long time, their top rated restaurant in Cabo was a friggin' taco stand. Go figure.
bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 07:42 PM

Blanca,
When we went to Greece, we tried to communicate. Alas, that must be where the saying "It's Greek to me" came from. No comprende nada!
Aside from that, when Apostolis was open in LB, we used to go there. The moussaka was wonderful. If they have it when you go back, try it! Such a treat!
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 07:46 PM

The menu at Nim is all over the map: Fresh fish, Moroccan lamb, Vietnamese, superb fillete with blue cheese, and even a killer Ruben sandwich for lunch. No kidding a great Ruben in Mexico. This restaurant is a must go in La Paz.

[Edited on 5-4-2014 by weebray]

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Glad to see you finally made it there we have been lov'en this place for a long time now and the cook (really sorry you did not get to meet him) is a first class old school chef and gentleman. I recommend, for your next stop, eating at "Nim" corner of Revolucion y Hidalgo. They are the recently opened new kids on the block and serve absolutely superb food. Our friends from the SF bay area ate there last week and declared the meal the best they have had in two years. That's from people that live near San Francisco! The chef/owner can flat bring it.
While the restaurant is new the girls that opened Nim are not exactly the new kids on the block. The other restaurant that they have is the highly successful and highly acclaimed Azul Marina restaurant out at Costa Baja.

In Memory of E-57
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 12:34 PM

The reuben met your definition to a T. Separate report to follow.

Come visit La Bocana

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 01:56 PM

My grandfather emigrated through Ellis Island from Greece at the start of WW1. He was around 13 years old, came 'baggage class' and was a 'WOP' which stands for '' WITH OUT PASSPORT'' (the Italians weren't the only ones lol). Made his fortune in the U.S. of A., went back to Greece and courted and married my grandmother, returned and had his family, my mother the 2nd of 5.

I was raised eating the most authentic, and DELICIOUS Greek delicacies all my life. Unfortunately, mother could burn water, but 2 aunts and my Nana made up for that. The Greeks have had 3,000 years experience in cooking food that takes about 3 times longer to cook than to eat on average, and LAMB is the cornerstone. When I head south, I always have some frozen and some Feta cheese in the fridge for a few special occasions. This last St. Paddy's Day (in honor of Pappy's side of the family) I made dolmades (stuffed grape leaves with MINT) just for a change of pace.

To hear of a Greek restaurant in La Paz may just make me go there one more time; i'm not big on large cities, but this could just do the deed. So far I've been content with Gordoniz and Piernas de Rana in Loreto (Quail and Frog's Legs) for my 'big treat' out on the town. The extra 6 hours drive might be worth it....

Thanks for the pics, the memories, and the drool on my shirt.
bb.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 02:07 PM

POST-SCRIPT :
Looking back at the pics, a few things came to mind. First, the 'cheers' in Greek. There are two basics. One is 'SIGYN' (pronounced 'see-GYN) which means, ''TO YOU!". The other is 'YAMAS!!" (YA-mas!!) means, TO US !!

The salad with the gyro plate is called, 'horiatiki' which means 'peasant salad'... very traditional, cukes, tomatoes, red onions and feta with a red-wine vinegar and olive oil dressing w/ plenty of fresh garlic and oregano, and cracked pepper. Love it to tears. Hopefully the sauce on the gyro was a yogurt/cuke/dill sweet sauce w/ feta.

Also saw a bottle of Ouzo on a wall. The proper way to drink is a very small glass with a very large ice cube. Enjoy. YAMAS!!

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.