BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Roofing material resources?
latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 09:27 PM
Baja Roofing material resources?

Any suggestions for roofing material suppliers in Baja ? We will be building in San Juanico ( on the Pacific side) BCS , so CD. Constitucion or La Paz would be the closest. But we'd welcome suggestions from anywhere in Baja. We've been limited to the ol flat-cement roof in the past (palapa is not an option for us) due to the remoteness and 30 miles of bad dirt road, but there must be something else out there. Haven't been successful at trying to research this from California and we can't take the time off to go "shopping" (we're not retired yet) so we'd appreciate any contact information.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 10:10 PM

Look into tri-di panel. We are using it for walls and roof of our east cape house. It has a great insulation factor and is very strong. They manufacture it in Mexicali. I'll try to locate a link for you.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 10:15 PM

Here is a link to some information about tri-di. http://www.penasco.com/newhom.html

There is a whole lot of building going on with this stuff. Have fun, and you can come surf at my house if I can come and surf yours. :yes:

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 10:18 PM
We just reroofed our place

and bought the rolled rock paper at Ferreteria Pacifico in Rosarito. I think it was $14.00 a roll and she thinks it was $10.00 a roll so never mind:lol:
Either way, as long as your careful, it's a pretty inexpensive way to go. The black paper is around $10.00 a roll.
I would compare prices in C. Constitucion, Home Depot, and take it from there.
Palapa roofs have become extremely high priced (for some reason or other) and cost a LOT now. Besides, they are pretty susceptible to drunken barbecues!
latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 11:45 PM
Tri-di panels

Jefe,
Will your tri-di roof be flat or pitched? If pitched, will you put anything over the cement (tile etc)? We were trying to design hip roofs this time but haven't come up with a way to dress up the cement.

[Edited on 12-10-2004 by latitude26n]
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 07:18 AM

we bought all our building material in maneadero and took it down on flat bed trailers. it was a little more money then the states but no import tax. we found that the pallapas were very reasonable and went roll roofing decks.:coolup:
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 07:34 AM

IF you want a palapa type roof there is a guy in Comandu that does a real go job and isn't to expensive. At least the last time I new someone who used him He brings all the material with him and his crew If you want I can try and get his name.
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 03:41 PM
I am very interested Mick.

Most everyone I have talked to charges a bundle for them nowadays. It would be great if you could get his name. Gracias
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2004 at 06:10 PM

Our roof will be flat with a low parapet. There will be a stairway to the roof where we will hang out for the view and the breeze....and an occasional beer.;)

latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 01:05 AM
No mas palapa, por favor

Thanks for the palapa suggestion but San Juanico is a windy and dirtier-than-most place with lots of fine polvo dirt in the air which settles right through the palm leaves. It works great for patio covers, but requires frequent spraying for beetles and bugs and still harbors lots of spiders and scorpions around here. Time not spent cleaning, means more time for recreating so we don't want to use it on our house or garage.

All of the palm leaf and posts used in the area comes from Comondu. The leaves are still easy to get but the supply of the good, hard, "Red "palm for posts has dwindled. The Palapa guys from Comundu that we see most often are called "Los Gatos"
( cat-like when on the roof). I've never heard them called by name- they're always referred to individually as " A Gato".

[Edited on 12-11-2004 by latitude26n]
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 01:20 PM
Styrofoam!

In Loreto these are very popular, the styrofoam panels are a meter square and about 6 inches wide are used to fill in a cement roof. I have a palapa on my main house and I a flat cement roof over my bodega thats made with the concrete and these styro pieces. They put them into place and it resembles tile, then they prep and pour the cement slurry right over them. Resembles tiles and grout from the bottom when you're through before finishing. Very strong and good insulation. Less cement too and very lightweight to transport. You should be able to find all of this in Constitucion.

[Edited on 12-11-2004 by flyfishinPam]

[Edited on 12-11-2004 by flyfishinPam]
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 08:44 AM

A Gato is the Guy! Were getting ready to build a house on the rio hardy and I had never heard of these tidipanels. After doing some checking I think I'll stop by the Mexicalli plant and have a look. I was wondering if anyone who has used them in Baja Norte has a cost per foot when done? I'm sure they can tell me .Just wondering
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.