Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: BoLA med evac report
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 07:13 AM
BoLA med evac report

Recently a friend suffered a head injury causing unconsciousness and afterwards blurred vision, headaches and nausea. This is what she experienced and wrote about the experience:

Below is an actual scenario when Divers Alert Network was recently contacted for a medical evacuation from Bahia de los Angeles , Baja California.

DAN was contacted at approx. 10:00PM on a Sunday night using their emergency 24/7 hotline number: (919) 684-9111.
A DAN representative asked for the following information:
1. Name of the person needing evacuation and DAN Membership
number
2. The nature of the medical emergency and current symptoms.
3. How the injury occurred?
4. The date of the injury?
5. If a local medical doctor had been contacted. (In this case an MD/friend of the patient had been contacted and made initial contact with DAN directly)
NOTE: Due to the fact that Mexico does not allow night flights into uncontrolled airports DAN was unable to fly in after dark. However had the emergency been deemed life threatening DAN would have arranged ground transportation to the nearest controlled airstrip or qualified hospital.
* At 8:00 AM the following morning the patient called DAN's non-emergency number (919) 446-2671. The person who answered said the emergency night staff had been working on transport arrangements and transferred the patient to the Emergency Hotline extension. The emergency representative was immediately familiar with the case and transferred the patient to a DAN doctor.
The doctor asked the following questions:
1. Explain how the injury occurred
2. Date of the injury
3. Symptoms
4. List of current medications and brief medical history
5. Whether there was a local doctor or clinic.
In the case of BoLA the local clinic rotates residents through but there was no physician currently at the clinic.

6. Is there anyone currently with the patient who can assist with the patient's immediate needs. The patient was instructed to not be alone, stay calm and rest as much as possible?
7. The doctor asked if the patient was on a dive vacation? The answer was no, just on vacation.
8. The doctor ordered evacuation by medical care flight that day and requested the Emergency Assist representative to find the closest hospital with CAT scan abilities.
*The patient's call was then transferred to the Travel Assist Representative who asked the following:
1. Where the patient's home residence was located
2. The date of departure from the States, the date of arrival
in BoLA, and the expected date of departure.
3. Did the patient drive or fly into BoLA?
4. What will happen to the patient's vehicle?
5. Passport information: passport number, date of issue, date
of expiration
6. Medical insurance information: type of insurance and numbers
* The Travel Assist Rep said the staff was researching if any
hospitals in the area had CT machines. Initially they thought
they could transport the patient to Guerrero Negro or San
Quintin but the representative located the closest CT machine
in Tijuana so DAN decided to transport the patient to Sharp
hospital in San Diego.
The representative said since there was no phone service in BoLA they would continue all future discussion via email.
Approximately an hour later an email arrived from DAN stating they were working on a flight originating either out of San Diego or Guadalajara. About an hour later another email arrived saying the flight was approved out of Guadalajara. 2 more emails followed stating approximate landing times with the final email stating the flight would land in approx 1 hour. Around 4 PM a Lear Jet landed at the BoLA air strip with 2 pilots and 2 CCA (critical care assessment) persons one of which was an ER physician and the other a nurse. The patient was placed on an ambulance cot in the jet with a pulse oximeter and blood pressure monitor. The patient was strapped in for take-off. Immediately after take-off the doctor took a health history, checked vitals, asked the patient about any pain, an IV was started, meds given for pain and nausea.
All personnel spoke English.
The jet landed at the Tijuana Airport, was met by MX Customs/Immigration, and within 10 mins the jet was airborne headed to Brown's Field in San Diego. In the US, Customs/Immigration met the plane, 5 mins later the San Diego ambulance's EMTs moved the patient to the ambulance. The MX physician, the MX nurse , and the US EMT traveled with the patient to the hospital ER in the ambulance. Upon arrival the patient was rolled into an ER cubicle, when the hospital nurse came in the MX physician relayed all pertinent information as did the U.S. EMT, at this time the MX doctor/nurse, and US EMTs departed. They referred to this as 'bed to bed service'.
Shortly after admittance in the hospital an International Patient Service Director came to see the patient. She asked:
1. Did the patient have any needs not being met?
2. How would the patient retrieve the vehicle left in Bahia?
3. When discharged where would the patient be staying?
She referred the patient to a Sheraton the hospital
had arrangements with for $89 per night.
4. Did the patient need any assistance with any of the above?
*DAN sent numerous emails starting the night of discharge asking the patient if they could assist with hotel accommodations, transportation locally and/or to return to the patient's home and/or to retrieve the vehicle in Baja.
Over the next 2 days DAN sent 4 more emails following up with the patient's health status, needs, and to offer assistance. On day 3 DAN asked again if there was anything they could do to help and if not would the patient feel comfortable with DAN closing the case.
This may be the best $55 ($35 for an individual) you will ever spend. diversalertnetwork.org
INFORMATION REGARDING THE DIVERS ALERT NETWORK
MEMBERSHIP FOR MEDICAL EMERGENCY EVACUATION
Divers Alert Network (DAN) Membership for $35 per individual / $55 for a family membership per year includes emergency and non emergency evacuation from anywhere in the World. The main criteria is you must be more than 50 miles from home.
**Please note: Emergency evacuation with DAN is a function of their Membership and NOT the optional DAN insurance.

End of story.

I have been a DAN member for 30 years or so but have always wondered what would actually happen down here if I or my wife really needed help. I feel a lot better now that someone has tested the system for me.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 07:58 AM

We are members. Thanks for sharing the story. Good to know.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 08:00 AM

I keep my DAN policy number and other insurance information in my pouch with my passport, and two neighbors know where to find it. This is excellent news about DAN, and from the sounds of things, a good outcome in the emergency you describe. Bravo, 'health' insurance anyone can value. Thanks for sharing.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 08:15 AM

Impressive!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 10:08 AM

This sounds really great..but...Where in the Bay of La. could/can a lear jet land and take off?? I most have missed that when I was there last.

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 10:13 AM

Are you planning on flying your Lear to Bay LA or just raking mud?

Terry28
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 10:26 AM

I am asking a question. How is that mud raking? I just don't see a private jet landing there. Now crawl back into your hole...

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
I am asking a question. How is that mud raking? I just don't see a private jet landing there. Now crawl back into your hole...

Bay of La airstrip is a paved 4,846 ft x 75 ft wide, more than enough for a Lear to get in and out of. The newer Lear's are legal for 4,000 ft and a skilled pilot can get a Lear in and out in 3,000 ft or slightly less. Lightly loaded of course.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 11:42 AM

Chuckie, I apologize for the smart remark, that was not warranted. I just have never seen the paved air strip there...where is it?

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Chuckie, I apologize for the smart remark, that was not warranted. I just have never seen the paved air strip there...where is it?

North of town at the first corner, go straight on dirt road past the school and you will run right into the airport.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 12:54 PM

Superb Documentation. I guess it's my eyesight can a reader determine the hour and date of injury and the hour and date of entry into Sharps ER? Yes, this is a serious question.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 03:14 PM

This sounds great but it did take over 20 hours to arrive in San Diego after initial contact. How long would it take to drive to San Diego from BoLA? I guess it all depends on the specific emergency involved and the time of day?
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Superb Documentation. I guess it's my eyesight can a reader determine the hour and date of injury and the hour and date of entry into Sharps ER? Yes, this is a serious question.

DavidE
I don't see where she documented the arrival time at the ER but she called at 10pm on a Sunday night and the plane arrived at 4pm the next day. From here to TJ is probably an hour or so in a Lear, and then just a few mins to Brown Field and probably 30 minutes to Sharp hosp in Kearney Mesa from Brown down near Chula Vista by ambulance. I'm guessing that's the Sharp they took her to. The date of injury was a day or so before she called on Sunday. She kept hoping the blurred vision and headaches would go away and when they didn't she called. I'll ask her to get me the info. Better yet I'll send her a link to this page and maybe she will register and answer the question herself.
Larry

Redmesa
I guess it could have gone quicker, and would have been nice had they been ready to land at first light but probably they took into consideration that it didn't appear to be a life threatening injury. I'm just impressed that for $35 a year we can have that type of service available to us here in Baja.
Larry

[Edited on 5-13-2014 by larryC]

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 03:21 PM

Good to know that they would pickup in BoLA.

And also that she didn't need to be first transferred to a hospital or clinic in Mexico to be stabilized. This seemed to be a requirement of Skymed. Not sure about MedJet.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 04:22 PM

I see you must be a DAN member to purchase insurance .. but must you be a diver or is this something that began for divers and has expanded ?

Thnx in advance for any info/explaination ..

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 05:09 PM

I think you can join whether you are "diving" or not. it's insurance and the more people involved the better for the company right? spreads the risk.....

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 05:23 PM

Wow, this sounds like a great service at a great price!

I'm not familiar with DAN (my SCUBA cert has expired). Do they have a website that explains these policies? And does DAN cover anyone regardless of age/home/activity? Or do you need to be a participant on a DAN-organized SCUBA trip to purchase this type of medical evacuation insurance?

thank you for sharing with us.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 05:26 PM
DAN

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Wow, this sounds like a great service at a great price!

I'm not familiar with DAN (my SCUBA cert has expired). Do they have a website that explains these policies? And does DAN cover anyone regardless of age/home/activity? Or do you need to be a participant on a DAN-organized SCUBA trip to purchase this type of medical evacuation insurance?

thank you for sharing with us.
scuba certificate expired?? whats up with that!
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 05:33 PM

My DAN policy expired while back. Think I will renew tomorrow.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.