Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ham radio operators in Mulege
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 04:12 PM
Ham radio operators in Mulege

We will spending our Winters in Mulege and I will be active on amateur radio. I know most of the ham nets for the peninsula but would like to get in touch with any gringo hams from that area. Locals would be fine too but my Spanish is fairly limited and amusing.
Mike
K7ITL
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 04:45 PM

Mike, Jake, one of my neighbors in Coyote Bay for 30 years was an avid radio ham. Used to tell me of his low-power exploits in calling foreign places...Tokyo and beyond. He once obtained a lot of the old copper wire from the defunct telegraph lines running thru the area and used it for an 'antenna'...worked quite well. Unfortunately Jake died a few years back, but here is part of what he was very interested in and active throughout his time in Baja since 1972.

'Sonrisa Net' is a good and active one. You'll find that and more on this site:

http://www.bajaquest.com/radionet.htm

Hope that helps and Good Luck. FB!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 04:45 PM

I have a short wave receiver I carry when in Baja. What frequencies do you guys transmit on?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
I have a short wave receiver I carry when in Baja. What frequencies do you guys transmit on?

Here's another one you may be interested in..

Chubasco Net (40-meter band) -- meets daily at 0730 Pacific Time at 7.294 MHz lower side band; covers Southern California and Baja California.

FB

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

Here's another one you may be interested in..

Chubasco Net (40-meter band) -- meets daily at 0730 Pacific Time at 7.294 MHz lower side band; covers Southern California and Baja California.

FB

"lower side band" is that single side band? My receiver doesn't have SSB. Do all HAMs use SSB? Sorry, I don't know much about HAM radio.

[Edited on 5-20-2014 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 05:03 PM

Sonrisanet is pretty active in the winter; a bit less so in the summer. It is very boater oriented. I dont hear people jawing much on their frequency after the net. If they do, it's boat talk. Good group of people. I dont know if they are sticklers about having the Mexican endorsement of your ham license.

Believe it's 3.968 Mhz LSB, net commences about 630AM, PDT.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 05:08 PM

An interesting tidbit about HAM radio fans in the US. While in college, a buddy who was a HAM used to yak with another HAM quite frequently on the frequency....

It was Barry Goldwater. Now 'there's' a name out of the past for you!

n6nxl

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 08:42 PM

Chubasco net has been on 7.192 mhz for the last few years...7:30 am pacific time.
Stop in and say Hi! We always need more XE's;)
Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 09:17 PM

Baja Maritime Net 7.233.5mHz 0800 Pacific (weather at 0815)
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2014 at 09:54 AM

Thanks for the responses. As I said, I'm up to speed on the various nets as I've been a boater ham for over thirty years.

What I'm hoping to find is hams (preferably alive!) in the Mulege area. I'll just put it out on the nets this Fall when I drift South.

Mike
dmiller72

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 12:27 AM

Hi Gulliver,

Just found this old thread--I'm a ham and typically camp on Coyote Beach each Nov/Dec. I may bring the HF rig this year, which I've used before for free email from our trailer. I also have a couple handheld radios and a VHF/UHF in the truck that's been modified to transmit wideband--allowing us to connect with the many folks who monitor marine VHF. We do some backroad caravan trips with other folks as well on the Pacific side, and the radio is great to stay in touch. Repeaterbook.com lists a few VHF repeaters in BCS, including one supposedly near Mulege. I've never been able to reach it, so I expect it's not active. If you're still wintering in Mulege area and active in radio, would love to connect with you.
chrishaynesusa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 08:21 AM

do you all have any feelings about operating in Baja?
I am going down in 2 years for Christmas holidays and all 10 of my rig participants have their ham but were leary of operating on 2m during our visit.
We use 147.480 and 146.475
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 10:35 AM

Many of the ranches use dual band radios. But be aware there is a licensing requirement that is not well enforced. I was chastised once by a Coop official. As I understand it there is currently no reciprocity nor are they licensing foreigners...Some kind of feud going on between agencies.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.