BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: Best ice chest for long Baja trip?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 06:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Forgot to add that draining melted water from the cooler is a bad idea. That water keeps everything cool longer and removing it speeds up the melting.

Also .... Pack the cooler as full as possible because everything within is contributing to the cooling and there is less air as well.

There seems to be two schools of thought on this. Leave the water or drain it. I use to leave it then I read an article that said to drain the water as the water will speed up the melting of the ice. I started doing that and I find the ice lasting much longer.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 06:54 PM

I put the ice in a closed container so everything in the food box stays cold and dry. The drinks go into another cooler and we will pre-cool them before they go in. We put the drinks in ocean water for a hour or so we drop the temps to 60 instead of air temp. If you are driving make sure the H2O is out of the cooler as the bottles will float and break.

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Forgot to add that draining melted water from the cooler is a bad idea. That water keeps everything cool longer and removing it speeds up the melting.

Also .... Pack the cooler as full as possible because everything within is contributing to the cooling and there is less air as well.

There seems to be two schools of thought on this. Leave the water or drain it. I use to leave it then I read an article that said to drain the water as the water will speed up the melting of the ice. I started doing that and I find the ice lasting much longer.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 06:56 PM
days past

sure don't miss the ammonia smell in the old ice,,, if you have the room a dometic on a 5 LP gas gallon works good..but IS not very potable
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 07:11 PM

Check out the RTIC cooler--half the price of the Yeti. I don't know anything more about it, but sounds good.

rticcooler.com
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 07:57 PM

Been running my ARB for about seven years and never had a problem. My wife got it for my birthday but wasn't happy about the price, at all!!!!! Now she wants it in the car when she is going shopping or on any other outing. We have a cabin that is off of the grid and its nice to have as a back up for the propane. Also works for extra cooling when you have a bunch of people over and need a little more space.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 08:07 PM

There seems to be two schools of thought on this. Leave the water or drain it. I use to leave it then I read an article that said to drain the water as the water will speed up the melting of the ice

Did any of you bother to take physics in HS or college?
You read an article? I find most articles on the web to be incomplete or plain wrong :lol::lol: do you still have your HS physics text in a box in your garage?

P.s. If you got $$ to burn, buy a yeti
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 08:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

If you got $$ to burn, buy a Dometic! :yes:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

You read an article? I find most articles on the web to be incomplete or plain wrong :lol::lol: do you still have your HS physics text in a box in your garage?

I, like many, probably liken virtually every one of your posts to your view of articles on the web. There is so much valid and confirmable information available on the web but hardly any in anything you post other than a quick insight into ego and it's misplaced importance.

I would have liked to taken physics in high school but I had to feed myself.

However, while you were still sucking on that silver spoon or whatever else you could fit in your mouth to advance, some of us had to actually apply survival skills at a young age.... probably only something you theorized about.

Fortunately for many, science was and is available through other means than riding a wooden seat in a high school and then making a career out of academia.

I, personally, used libraries, friends, mentors and, something that might surprise you, people that actually made their livings engineering things and making things work.

It is only sometimes true but the old axiom of those that can, do and those that can't, teach.
I am married to a person who was a professional teacher.... however, she does not fit that overused stereotype of the few you promulgate it.

You're in academia, right?

No.

The rest of you post was ignorant anti-education BS. Hope you don't fill you kids heads with such anti-intellectual rants. You have to be a dunce to say things like "those that can, do and those that can't, teach."

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 07:01 AM

I, like many, probably liken virtually every one of your posts to your view of articles on the web. There is so much valid and confirmable information available on the web but hardly any in anything you post other than a quick insight into ego and it's misplaced importance.

I would have liked to taken physics in high school but I had to feed myself.

However, while you were still sucking on that silver spoon or whatever else you could fit in your mouth to advance, some of us had to actually apply survival skills at a young age.... probably only something you theorized about.

Fortunately for many, science was and is available through other means than riding a wooden seat in a high school and then making a career out of academia.

I, personally, used libraries, friends, mentors and, something that might surprise you, people that actually made their livings engineering things and making things work.

It is only sometimes true but the old axiom of those that can, do and those that can't, teach.
I am married to a person who was a professional teacher.... however, she does not fit that overused stereotype of the few you promulgate it.

You're in academia, right?

No.

The rest of you post was ignorant anti-education BS. Hope you don't fill you kids heads with such anti-intellectual rants. You have to be a dunce to say things like "those that can, do and those that can't, teach."

Jajaja, you are a pulga.
I have taught plenty.... and I can do.
I am so anti-education that I am still going to school.
I have relocated multiple times in my life to get the best education I can for my kids... yeah, that's me, anti-education.
I am just anti-a$$hole, of which you are a gaper!

Yes, I must be a dunce.... a highly trained one, but, whatever.. proving my experiential superiority has never been a priority for me.

You keep at it, though, because I think most here, yes, all us information seeking lemmings, find what you have to say close to interesting.... not quite, but close.

Peace

Ok, mr pro-education smarty pants. Use all your learning, including your experiential superiority, to tell us what is most efficient in keeping food cold in cooler, drain the water or leave the water?
Your answer should provide supporting evidence or references so the answer can be verified.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 08:47 AM

From 50 years of camping background, we drain the water to make the ice last longer. This is especially the case when driving as the sloshing accelerates the melt rate. Water against ice is a more efficient extractor of cold/conveyor of heat (anything over 32º is 'heat' to ice). Air around the ice is a less efficient 'melter'.

Now, if wanting things colder that you add to ice, such as your cans or bottle of Pacifico... then leave the melted ice water in there... again because water is a more efficient transfer of heat/cold than air. However, if you are going to drive to another spot, drain the ice chest to save what is left.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 09:52 AM

Exactly David. I don't question whether things are cold I just want my ice to last longer. I like ice in my Gin and Tonic or Jack and coke.

Also I often only have one ice chest and keep some food in it and I don't like it when water gets in it.

[Edited on 10-24-2015 by TMW]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 10:14 AM

After Your cooler is filled and at equilibrium and ice has begun to melt, the temperature of contents will stay constant 32 degrees regardless of whether or not water fills the pore space in ice. Water in ice pore space is same temp as ice. Heat input to cooler will cause phase change before raising water temp. Water in ice pore space does not increase heat transfer rate from outside cooler to inside cooler.
Draining or keeping water will not significantly change ice life.
Repeat after me: draining or keeping water will not change ice life, will not change melt rate.
Draining or keeping water during the period that ice persists is really only a matter of personal preference.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Thank you ! Very helpful.

Has anyone used any trays or baskets to keep food dry, up above water/ice levels? Things like fresh produce that would be damaged by water.

I welcome other ideas to maximize cooler benefits.

A major benefit of not messing with ice is ice cold AND DRY everything. This one from HomeDepot draws very little current from your 12V car or boat battery (also rus on 120V at home):

Forgot to mention that the 36Qt model is only $136 on line.

PRODUCT OVERVIEW Model # P75 Internet # 202467891
The versatile Koolatron Kool Kaddy Kooler is ideal for big families and those going on long road trips, to sporting events, the beach or on a picnic. Just plug it into your car's cigarette lighter to keep all your favorite foods and drinks cool. It doesn’t require any ice so there’s plenty of space. It's even convenient for going grocery shopping in the middle of running several errands.
State-of-the art thermoelectric cooling technology that doesn’t require the use of ice
Brushless motor and internal air circulation for even temperature distribution
Use it horizontally like a cooler or vertically like a fridge
Includes a removable shelf for additional storage options

[Edited on 10-24-2015 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 10:15 AM

I'm a drainer

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 10:23 AM

After Your cooler is filled and at equilibrium and ice has begun to melt, the temperature of contents will stay constant 32 degrees regardless of whether or not water fills the pore space in ice. Water in ice pore space is same temp as ice. Heat input to cooler will cause phase change before raising water temp. Water in ice pore space does not increase heat transfer rate from outside cooler to inside cooler.
Draining or keeping water will not significantly change ice life.
Repeat after me: draining or keeping water will not change ice life, will not change melt rate.
Draining or keeping water during the period that ice persists is really only a matter of personal preference.

"Your answer should provide supporting evidence or references so the answer can be verified."

How can you expect us to give your theory any credibility without "supporting evidence or references"?

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 11:21 AM

holds more ice and 1/2 price of the Yeti.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/?www.rticcoolers.com

edit: this from the above site regarding water in the cooler:

Keep it Chilly

Water from melted ice is not a bad thing! Cold water that develops after a few days helps insulate the remaining ice better than empty airspace. Open your lid as few times as possible to reduce adding warm air from the outside. “All ice is not created equal” – in other words, ice performance can vary greatly. Block ice will melt slower than cube ice, but cube ice with a larger total surface area will cool items faster. You may want to consider a mixture of both types. Start with very cold, solid ice versus wet ice that has already begun to melt. Fill cooler with as much ice as possible to reduce empty air areas.

[Edited on 10-24-2015 by woody with a view]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 11:29 AM

Woody, where do they sell those in San Diego County?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
So what do people recommend for a multi-week summer trip into Baja? I don't want to get one that runs on electricity or propane, just an old-fashioned ice chest for enjoying fresh food and cold drinks on a hot beach, that keeps food/drink cold for several days between ice Runs.

Has anyone used one of the newer heavy-duty ice chests such as these fromPelican?

Recommendations welcome!

[Edited on 5-20-2014 by Whale-ista]

All of the premium coolers work well. All have very thick walls, so the coolers are very large (and heavy!) if you want large cooler capacity. The yetis are built TOO tough, so you pay for more than you need. Grizzlys are tough too, but less expensive. Pelican and engel are good alternatives to overpriced yeti
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Woody, where do they sell those in San Diego County?

online only as far as i can tell. free shipping. check the site.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
holds more ice and 1/2 price of the Yeti.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/?www.rticcoolers.com

edit: this from the above site regarding water in the cooler:

Keep it Chilly

Water from melted ice is not a bad thing! Cold water that develops after a few days helps insulate the remaining ice better than empty airspace. Open your lid as few times as possible to reduce adding warm air from the outside. “All ice is not created equal” – in other words, ice performance can vary greatly. Block ice will melt slower than cube ice, but cube ice with a larger total surface area will cool items faster. You may want to consider a mixture of both types. Start with very cold, solid ice versus wet ice that has already begun to melt. Fill cooler with as much ice as possible to reduce empty air areas.

[Edited on 10-24-2015 by woody with a view]

Woody, that's another Another faux logic discussion of cooling.

Key is to buy ice twice in first day of trip. First bag will melt fast as it cools the chest and contents. Then drain that melt water to gain volume space, and add another bag of ice to fill cooler. Keep cooler out of sun. Avoid opening it often. Eat the perishables before your ice is gone.
Repeat as necessary.
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.