BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Best ice chest for long Baja trip?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 11:46 AM

i'd rather concentrate on the beer inventory than freak out over melt ice. ice melts, it's a fact of life. if the water is drained then the beers come to ambient outside temp faster than in the melt water. i prefer 50 degree beer in melt water over 90 degree beer in a dry cooler with 3 ice cubes in the bottom when 35 degree beer isn't an option any longer. it just means another trip to town!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 11:48 AM

Here is the deal... you want ice to last the longest, use BLOCK ice. You can use some crushed to fill the gaps and have for c-cktails, but it will melt faster. The bags of cube ice will be gone in hours, and are a waste if you have the block option. As we know, the Oxxo stores and other markets usually only have the ice cubes in bags, so better than nothing if you are almost out.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 11:51 AM

I'm a "leave the water in it" guy, I will drain it when I have access to new ice. I put food etc. that I don't want to get wet in a gallon Ziploc or plastic container.

[Edited on 10-24-2015 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Looks like this little dust up got some decent input since I went on a mud run with my kids this morning!

Nice to see people contributing something other than a nice big glass of frosty snarkiness!
Jajajaja!

Here is what I do.
I just buy more ice or use a portable fridge/freezer.
I have supplemented with dry ice.

Water transfers heat more efficiently than air. It's all about the BTU's moving through a medium more efficiently.

If you are trying to cool things quickly and ice is readily available then leave the water in.

If you want your ice to last a bit longer than drain the majority of it out and keep the lid closed.

I'm no scientist but heat transfer is heat transfer.

You are right on Frank!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Here is the deal... you want ice to last the longest, use BLOCK ice. You can use some crushed to fill the gaps and have for c-cktails, but it will melt faster. The bags of cube ice will be gone in hours, and are a waste if you have the block option. As we know, the Oxxo stores and other markets usually only have the ice cubes in bags, so better than nothing if you are almost out.

Re block vs cube ice... It takes 80 calories to melt 1 gram block ice. It takes 80 calories to melt 1 gram cubed ice.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Re block vs cube ice... It takes 80 calories to melt 1 gram block ice. It takes 80 calories to melt 1 gram cubed ice.

You are both right of course, it takes the same amount of energy to melt ice regardless of the configuration. Cubed ice has lots of spaces around it and usually are a tube shape resulting in even less ice per cubic foot. You can put a whole lot more ice in a cooler if it is in a large block.....but even the goat knows that...

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 01:35 PM

Baaaaa!

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 10-25-2015 at 12:39 AM

Always get more beer, Always get more ice,
And when given the chance......... Salute The Maestro :cool:

Thanks for all the great tricks and techniques. We have been loving on the ESKY line of Coleman coolers. Half the price per Qt of the Yeti, tough, tons of features and holds ice for a very long time using some of the tips posted here. I use the cooler year round, Cervezas just seems to taste better on ice.
I'm not a physicist, but I have figured out through extensive and rigorous beach testing some of the enemies of long lasting ice.
Surface area of the ice, conductivity and temperature of elements it contacts, amount of insulation and outside ambient temperature.
If we're not using frozen fresh water bottles or ice is not available we crack the smaller drain to allow a slow drip in the sand without allowing air transfer.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2015 at 09:20 AM

Since you only ride a bike or walk in Baja, how would you know? :lol::lol::lol:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2015 at 09:48 AM

Some of us just know it all. Some of you just don't. :lol::lol::P:P
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-25-2015 at 10:35 AM
Interesting tip

From the RTIC cooler site (https://www.rticcoolers.com/cooler-care):

Rock salt tip: rock salt naturally lowers the melting point of water, making it super cold. Add a few handfuls to the top of your ice filled cooler and temperatures will be even lower.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2015 at 10:50 AM

that's funny cuz i tell my wife i'm right 98% of the time. not perfect, but i'm working on it!

bigjohn
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2015 at 10:51 AM

Been doing the rock salt tip
when bringing the fish home from BOLA! :cool::cool:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2015 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

that's funny cuz i tell my wife i'm right 98% of the time. not perfect, but i'm working on it!

Woody,
Keep trying! I have been 100% right for so long that I can no longer remember a time when I was wrong. True!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-25-2015 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Rock salt tip: rock salt naturally lowers the melting point of water, making it super cold. Add a few handfuls to the top of your ice filled cooler and temperatures will be even lower.[/rquote

Careful with the rock salt. We froze a whole tub of beer by putting too much in. Delayed the drinking for a couple minutes.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-25-2015 at 11:39 AM

Moderation in all things.....except fish tacos and Pacificos

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Rock salt tip: rock salt naturally lowers the melting point of water, making it super cold. Add a few handfuls to the top of your ice filled cooler and temperatures will be even lower.[/rquote

Careful with the rock salt. We froze a whole tub of beer by putting too much in. Delayed the drinking for a couple minutes.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2015 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

Woody,
Keep trying! I have been 100% right for so long that I can no longer remember a time when I was wrong. True!

One time I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.....:lol:

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-25-2015 at 08:00 PM

Can one really live out of a 65 qt ice chest for more than a three day weekend? I dont think I could. It would take two.

For that reason, the Coleman Xtremes cooling capacity per dollar really comes into play. I see that the everyday price for a Coleman 70 qt marine Xtreme at Walmart is 49.95. What an incredible bargain!

I have grown to appreciate the wheeled versions of the Coleman Xtremes. Not that there is a lot of pavement or sidewalks in Mexico, of course; especially on the beach. But it is nice rolling it around the lot from the outside kitchen to the separate bodega where the freezer is, where the boat is stored, down the ramp and along the dock at the marina. A 65-70 qt ice chest is not light when filled.

And, naturally, my Xtreme is filled with fillets EVERY TIME I return from fishing!! :biggrin:

"Come on, wheels! Take this chest a-way!!!"
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2015 at 07:21 AM

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-coo...

How about the guy who designed the "COOLEST" Cooler. His $50,000 Kickstarter campaign raised an astonishing $13,285,226!
He had 62, 642 backers. Now that's good business!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2015 at 09:07 AM

We have two Xtremes Hook, one is for food and one is for drinks. However, we have also had one reserved with just ice and kept sealed and used the other for food and drinks. It is opened only when the other needs ice added. We have ice for a week in the summer doing that.

The method of ice preservation is: to limit time with the box opened, to keep the box covered or in the shade, to drain melted ice daily and especially if you are going to be driving. We do leave melted ice in one chest if it is just for drinks.

Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.