BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Best ice chest for long Baja trip?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-26-2015 at 09:47 AM
Igloo Exreme

I got one when they first came out,,very happy with it,...since all they did was ad some foam insulation to it.. melted ice is aways nice for the dogs...
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-26-2015 at 02:46 PM

if this is your last trip in hot temperatures any insulated cooler is good. The differences are not worth writing about.

If you will go out into the wild again - get a real fridge freezer. I have been exploring Baja since 1986. Always stayed away from fridge freezers. I can buy ice for the rest of my life and still come ahead with a cooler. I thought. I was willing to live with the mixture of melting water, broken beers and busted eggs with a generous helping of cheese.
Then I found out that not all fridge freezers are $1,200 overland Gucci models. You can get them for around $500 (with blemishes for $300). They did not fare well in the overland champagne cooler tests. They look kinda bland. But a little research revealed that all (ALL) fridge freezers have the same German made internals. Except Engel, they have Japanese internals.

So, long story short. I went fridge-freezer (Wynther/Edgestar) about 5 years ago. It was almost like a religious experience. You know, like getting your first Mac/iPhone. Life is soooooo much better now. Perfectly cold beer. Protected cold cuts and veggies. Safe eggs. This was one of those rare "regret" moments. I regret that I did not go fridge/freezer 30 years ago.

Advice: Hard wire the fridge/freezer with a fuse directly to your battery. The cigarette lighter plug in burns up within a few days. They pull some serious amps.

I have 48 and 64 quarts. More beer is always good.

Harald Pietschmann
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-26-2015 at 03:26 PM

Does anyone make a fridge freeze compressor model where you can have a decent portion that is a freezer and a portion that is a fridge, so you can make, say, a standard ice cube tray of ice or two of the RV sized cube trays? The one bummer about going ALL fridge freeze is the lack of ice cubes for stronger adult beverages. Beer gets old, shots get old, after a few days. You really cant afford the space to keep your mixers in your cooling device so you end up with margaritas and martinis that start out at, at best, 40 degrees and go downhill rapidly from there.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-26-2015 at 03:55 PM

Harald - How loud are these when they are running and how much heat do they throw out??? I was planning on putting one on the back seat of my double cab pick-up

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
if this is your last trip in hot temperatures any insulated cooler is good. The differences are not worth writing about.

If you will go out into the wild again - get a real fridge freezer. I have been exploring Baja since 1986. Always stayed away from fridge freezers. I can buy ice for the rest of my life and still come ahead with a cooler. I thought. I was willing to live with the mixture of melting water, broken beers and busted eggs with a generous helping of cheese.
Then I found out that not all fridge freezers are $1,200 overland Gucci models. You can get them for around $500 (with blemishes for $300). They did not fare well in the overland champagne cooler tests. They look kinda bland. But a little research revealed that all (ALL) fridge freezers have the same German made internals. Except Engel, they have Japanese internals.

So, long story short. I went fridge-freezer (Wynther/Edgestar) about 5 years ago. It was almost like a religious experience. You know, like getting your first Mac/iPhone. Life is soooooo much better now. Perfectly cold beer. Protected cold cuts and veggies. Safe eggs. This was one of those rare "regret" moments. I regret that I did not go fridge/freezer 30 years ago.

Advice: Hard wire the fridge/freezer with a fuse directly to your battery. The cigarette lighter plug in burns up within a few days. They pull some serious amps.

[Edited on 10-26-2015 by bajaguy]
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2015 at 04:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Harald - How loud are these when they are running and how much heat do they throw out??? I was planning on putting one on the back seat of my double cab pick-up

[Edited on 10-26-2015 by bajaguy]

And how long will it run before your battery dies?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-26-2015 at 04:19 PM

Always a fun thread ... keeping things "cool"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-26-2015 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Does anyone make a fridge freeze compressor model where you can have a decent portion that is a freezer and a portion that is a fridge, so you can make, say, a standard ice cube tray of ice or two of the RV sized cube trays? The one bummer about going ALL fridge freeze is the lack of ice cubes for stronger adult beverages. Beer gets old, shots get old, after a few days. You really cant afford the space to keep your mixers in your cooling device so you end up with margaritas and martinis that start out at, at best, 40 degrees and go downhill rapidly from there.

Crikey! You want to bring an ice maker on a camping trip?
Why do you want to bring your entire kitchen on a camping trip? A goal is to get away from all the nonsense, reduce, simplify.
Take wine, and liquor that is not such rot gut it needs to be disguised with mixers:lol::lol: takes up less space than beer, does not require ice :light:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-26-2015 at 04:32 PM
Dometic CoolFreeze CFX65 DZ (Dual Zone)

My Dometic CoolFreeze CFX65DZ has a separate Freezer compartment along with a Fridge compartment. Real convenient for storing fresh fruit along with beans, fresh soup, and keeping Gardenburger patties frozen.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-26-2015 at 05:24 PM

noise: very low fan noise (only hear it in the quiet garage)
heat: they need good ventilation (leave some room around the vent slots) - however, they do not burden the temp in the car

ice: get the 64 quart unit, get a bag of ice, set temp to about 27. Keeps ice frozen, beer just the way it should be, veggies (on top) will not die the ice death

Harald Pietschmann
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 11:42 PM

Harald, in your experience, how is the drawn on your battery? Do you just have a single car battery or does your rig have a separate house battery as well? If I were to have, let's say, the 64 quart model you have, could I park my car Friday, leave the unit running all weekend and still have enough juice to start my car Sunday afternoon?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
Harald, in your experience, how is the drawn on your battery? Do you just have a single car battery or does your rig have a separate house battery as well? If I were to have, let's say, the 64 quart model you have, could I park my car Friday, leave the unit running all weekend and still have enough juice to start my car Sunday afternoon?

If'n you are going to leave cooler running for a long time on battery, best to have a separate battery storage system for cooler so you don't drain your car battery.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 08:56 AM

45 qt Whynter is $486 at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter-45-qt-Portable-Fridge-Freezer-FM-45G/202555696

65 qt Whynter is $513: www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter...Portable-Fridge-Freezer.../20255569...

and 85 qt is $589: www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter...Portable-Fridge-Freezer.../20255570...

Bob Durrell
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 10:38 AM

The Wyntner links don't work, but I would check out the Dometic line of fridge/freezers. I bought their flagship model - the Dual Zone 65 Qt. model. It also includes USB connectivity to charge my electronics.

Price = $700

Dometic 65 Qt -- Amazon.com

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 8-29-2016 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Can one really live out of a 65 qt ice chest for more than a three day weekend? I dont think I could. It would take two.

For that reason, the Coleman Xtremes cooling capacity per dollar really comes into play. I see that the everyday price for a Coleman 70 qt marine Xtreme at Walmart is 49.95. What an incredible bargain!

I have grown to appreciate the wheeled versions of the Coleman Xtremes. Not that there is a lot of pavement or sidewalks in Mexico, of course; especially on the beach. But it is nice rolling it around the lot from the outside kitchen to the separate bodega where the freezer is, where the boat is stored, down the ramp and along the dock at the marina. A 65-70 qt ice chest is not light when filled.

And, naturally, my Xtreme is filled with fillets EVERY TIME I return from fishing!! :biggrin:

"Come on, wheels! Take this chest a-way!!!"

Mayday, mayday
Coleman Xtreme 100 qt wheeled going on Amazon prime lightning deals in 2 minutes.
Free shipping, no sales tax.
edit: $57.03
on order

[Edited on 8-29-2016 by Sweetwater]

[Edited on 8-29-2016 by Sweetwater]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2016 at 06:52 PM

If you have the room, bring a small generator ( Honda 2KW) and a small freezer. A few gallons of gas will get you through the trip with all the ice you need. I use 16 oz water bottles. You can re-freeze or drink!
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 1-30-2017 at 07:35 PM

Screw coolers. I put two big batteries in the bed of my truck, 1/0 cable to my main batteries with a battery isolator in between and fuses (charges off my alternator while I drive), an 800 watt inverter, and a small 3 cubic foot chest freezer. Awesome. Awesome. All my frozen stuff goes in for my drive. When I arrive in LA Bay, or wherever, the freezer comes out to become a kegarator. Also wired in a thermostat so I can run it at 30 degrees for the cerveza. And on the return trip it is full of frozen vacuum packed filets that never defrost till I'm ready for some fresh sashimi or grilled fish dinner.

[Edited on 2-3-2017 by Doug/Vamonos]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2017 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Here is the deal... you want ice to last the longest, use BLOCK ice. You can use some crushed to fill the gaps and have for c-cktails, but it will melt faster. The bags of cube ice will be gone in hours, and are a waste if you have the block option. As we know, the Oxxo stores and other markets usually only have the ice cubes in bags, so better than nothing if you are almost out.

Re block vs cube ice... It takes 80 calories to melt 1 gram block ice. It takes 80 calories to melt 1 gram cubed ice.

The same amount of heat melts the same amount of ice in an ice cube or a block. However, the amount of heat applied is related to the surface area. The ice cubes inside of blocks of ice don't receive the heat until all the ice surrounding ice has melted. So a block lasts much longer.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2017 at 05:54 PM

we bought an RTIC kind of direct thru Amazon this year... similar tyeti and much less expensive..
left Colorado jan 10 arrived jan 13 in Mulege, did not open it until we arrived still had ice , nice coolers....

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2018 at 02:22 PM

I bought two RTIC coolers... they are excellent. Basically same thing as a Yeti but almost half the cost when purchased on sale.

Quote: Originally posted by john68  
Check out the RTIC cooler--half the price of the Yeti. I don't know anything more about it, but sounds good.

rticcooler.com
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2018 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Thank you ! Very helpful.

Has anyone used any trays or baskets to keep food dry, up above water/ice levels? Things like fresh produce that would be damaged by water.

I welcome other ideas to maximize cooler benefits.

If I'm hauling produce and cheese and meatr etc, stuff i do not want wet. I buy 1 gallon crystal geyser spring water, pour out 1/2 a cup or so to deal with expansion, and freeze em down. usually 3 for a big ice chest. once they are frozen solid, they keep everything in the box cold and dry! and when they melt - they are pure drinking water. i will also put in frozen meat etc inside double ziplocks, extends the life of the ice.

i usually put my beer and soda in a wet chest - use ice on those.

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by caj13]
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.