BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Best ice chest for long Baja trip?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 07:10 PM
Best ice chest for long Baja trip?

So what do people recommend for a multi-week summer trip into Baja? I don't want to get one that runs on electricity or propane, just an old-fashioned ice chest for enjoying fresh food and cold drinks on a hot beach, that keeps food/drink cold for several days between ice Runs.

Has anyone used one of the newer heavy-duty ice chests such as these fromPelican?

Recommendations welcome!

[Edited on 5-20-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 07:17 PM

The pelican is great. We have used if for 10 day + trips in 100 degree whether and still had ice. We do cover it.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 07:25 PM

THAT is really something ... 10+ days, saw in a review, 15 days ...

They don't make them like they used to ... :lol::lol:

with these ... might have to worry about food spoilage :):)

[Edited on 5-20-2014 by wessongroup]

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja Steve
The pelican is great. We have used if for 10 day + trips in 100 degree whether and still had ice. We do cover it.

Thank you for the feedback.

What do you cover it with? You mean keep it in the shade?

I'll likely keep it in my truck camper. Especially given the weight once it's full of food and ice.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 07:30 PM

Buy a couple of cheap moving pads from Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/40-in-x-72-in-movers-blanket-69...

http://www.harborfreight.com/72-inch-x-80-inch-movers-blanke...

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Quote:
Originally posted by baja Steve

Thank you for the feedback.

What do you cover it with? You mean keep it in the shade?

I'll likely keep it in my truck camper. Especially given the weight once it's full of food and ice.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 07:36 PM

yeti makes the same style.....

baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 07:36 PM

We use the silver insulated blankets
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 07:47 PM

I considered those but I wanted to support the company that is manufacturing them in the US.

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
yeti makes the same style.....

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 08:01 PM

We used a new Yeti last week, for the 1000, Not sure! For the $500.00, You Can buy a lot of ice!
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 08:19 PM

I found a 95 quart pelican at Costco for $300. agreed it will take quite a few trips to pay for itself but it will also give me more time away from town & on the beach not worrying about ice runs.

I just froze a couple of 1 gallon plastic jugs and put them inside the chest out in my truck for a test. Of course now the weather has cooled off considerably here.

Travels to Baja always include Time/money trade-offs...

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
We used a new Yeti last week, for the 1000, Not sure! For the $500.00, You Can buy a lot of ice!

[Edited on 5-20-2014 by Whale-ista]

n6nxl

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 08:54 PM

Speaking of time money trade-off... My dad built a super-cooler from a home depot plastic round tote, and a 4x8 sheet of 2" r-max foam. It looks like a foil wrapped hot tub, or something to carry nuclear waste in, but boy does it work well.10# block of ice has lasted up to five days- in the Laguna Salada!
Sure gets a second look at the military checkpoints,tho :D
Can buy a lot of Pemex or TKT for 400$
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 08:55 PM

Never used the pelican but alot of my friends have the yeti and they work well. My coleman extreme works almost as well and it was 50 bucks not 300
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 09:01 PM

Igloo makes one better than Yeti and it's made in Texas!
Better seals, better handles and locks. Really a good one.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 09:10 PM

You mean the 5 gallon tote or a larger size? I've considered a homemade design, need to check out capacities and material costs.

I thought I would try it this summer and see how well it works. I can return items to Costco that don't perform well. (100% satisfaction guarantee is a big reason I shop there.)

Quote:
Originally posted by n6nxl
Speaking of time money trade-off... My dad built a super-cooler from a home depot plastic round tote, and a 4x8 sheet of 2" r-max foam. It looks like a foil wrapped hot tub, or something to carry nuclear waste in, but boy does it work well.10# block of ice has lasted up to five days- in the Laguna Salada!
Sure gets a second look at the military checkpoints,tho :D
Can buy a lot of Pemex or TKT for 400$

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 09:21 PM

I purchased a 75qt Yeti last fall and used it for a 14 day trip over the Christmas holidays. We purchased 3 blocks of ice before crossing the border and they lasted the entire period.

They provide a pamphlet of recommendations with the product. Advice which we followed:

1. Cool down the ice chest before using it. I bought crushed ice between SF and LA and replaced it with block ice in SD.

2. All drinks were bought ice cold and added to ice box in that state.

3. The lid was opened for very brief periods of time to remove or return food. This was to allow as little warm air as possible.

4. Made sure the ice chest was never in direct sunlight.

There may have been other things. I never wrapped it in a sleeping bag because the walls in the chest are so thick that insulation is likely close to perfect.

Virtually all the ice that did melt, I believe, was due to warm air entering during opening and closing. Once the food and drinks get cold they tend to stay that way if done right (remove milk, pour it, and return it right after).

This may seem like a lot of hassle but having fresh produce (heirloom tomatoes) every day made it worth the effort.

Hope this information is useful.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 10:04 PM

Thank you ! Very helpful.

Has anyone used any trays or baskets to keep food dry, up above water/ice levels? Things like fresh produce that would be damaged by water.

I welcome other ideas to maximize cooler benefits.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I purchased a 75qt Yeti last fall and used it for a 14 day trip over the Christmas holidays. We purchased 3 blocks of ice before crossing the border and they lasted the entire period.

They provide a pamphlet of recommendations with the product. Advice which we followed:

1. Cool down the ice chest before using it. I bought crushed ice between SF and LA and replaced it with block ice in SD.

2. All drinks were bought ice cold and added to ice box in that state.

3. The lid was opened for very brief periods of time to remove or return food. This was to allow as little warm air as possible.

4. Made sure the ice chest was never in direct sunlight.

There may have been other things. I never wrapped it in a sleeping bag because the walls in the chest are so thick that insulation is likely close to perfect.

Virtually all the ice that did melt, I believe, was due to warm air entering during opening and closing. Once the food and drinks get cold they tend to stay that way if done right (remove milk, pour it, and return it right after).

This may seem like a lot of hassle but having fresh produce (heirloom tomatoes) every day made it worth the effort.

Hope this information is useful.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 10:17 PM

keep in mind two small coolers (one for food that rarely gets open)and another just for drinks are more manageable.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 10:19 PM

Yes. The Yeti comes with a tray that suspends the food above the ice. But I found it to be insufficiently small. Everything that was not in the tray was placed in ziplock bags next to the ice. I just didn't want one food item to contaminate another. The produce went in the tray and the milk, meats, chicken, and eggs were below.

The ice cooler should be pretty stable in the car. You don't want the ice blocks sliding from end to end on washboard roads, crushing the contents of those bags.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 5-20-2014 at 05:30 AM

A 120qt cooler holds about 1/2 bar of crystalina. It also provides usable water is it melts.
I don't store anything inside the cooler with my main ice source, except maybe a few vac sealed packs of meat.

I own two polar bear cooler bags and keep food in one, drinks in another and hack hunks of the block off as I need them.

I'm testing an 80 quart 12volt edgestar this weekend. trying to keep food dry while stored in ice is a losing battle. At $600 the fridge has a ton of advantages over ice, but there are some downfalls also.
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2014 at 06:43 AM

This review might help--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.