Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Tres Santos
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 12:41 AM

this is an interesting post/thread as we have been looking closely at the areas of Pescadero, Todos Santos and surrounding areas and I came across Tres Santos in my search. Although, the tree hugger in me wondered how much the surrounding farm lands will suffer (no farms no food) by possibly taking up space for this compound that food could be grown on....and how much building this big development will put a strain on local resources yet having said that, there will be jobs for people building this compound. In the grand scheme of things a place like this supports ways to keep our carbon footprint more under control. But there is never an easy answer, is there? You do good in one or 2 areas in order to live more sustainable and it may harm something else, ugh! And like Monoloco says, "there are more people on the planet everyday", and with that there is a need for everyone to live somewhere. And high density equals less of a carbon footprint.

I have lived in intentional communities before with strong and successful councils, albeit nowhere near anything like this, but very well thought out in regards to self sustainability, holistically conscious, community taking care of community, elder care, trading services etc, and most of them work very well....but what I think is missing here, and perhaps it's not (I haven't seen any reference to it yet) is children and elder care and mentorships, which is important in these types of communities IMHO. Perhaps that may evolve.

I do see the opportunity here for cottage industries to pop up within this compound and that's a good thing! The more we can support and consume from local, handmade products the better! And usually that breeds a lot of trade and barter, which is awesome too and better for the planet as a whole.

I'd like to check it out, and probably will! We also want to check out areas a bit south and north of Todos Santos!

By the way Pauldavidmena, I just read your blog, lots of good info on it and I will be following your journey as we too are lookey-looing in the same areas!

P.S. Pauldavidmena....Voluntary simplicity is a good thing not only for the planet but personally too...ummm bottled water equals part of the problem and there is easy solutions to that!...however high speed internet these days is just a reality of the times, IMHO.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 05:17 AM

BajaLuna - thanks for weighing in on this. Like monoloco, I don't see the Tres Santos development as either black or white, but rather an inevitability that can have its upside if managed responsibly.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 01:50 PM

I agree!

We aren't interested in moving into something like this, it's just way too big for our liking....but just for kicks want to check it out and see what all they have going on! It's a good concept but who knows if it will be successful!

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 05:07 PM

Thanks, mono loco.

I think my next trip down that way I'll google-earth the area to see where all the dirt roads are that lead to a beach.

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
My question...

Between South Pescadero and Todos Santos area, there are no open beach access areas. A development like this would make that even worse. One won't be able to get within an eye shot to see sand or water.

However, I was persistent in trying to find a way to the ocean:

In mid TS, I drove several dirt roads and one of them took me to within 300 feet of the water. And that area turned out to be a turtle sanctuary.
The other two places (as I said, I am[/b[ persistent: one was driving down the wash near north Pescadero, and the other place was a well camouflaged dirt road that drops off sharply, near the south end of Pescadero

Most of TS and Pescadero houses are fully walled-in, and there is no path or room to walk between the houses. I don't know why one would wall themselves in their living encampment. Does it not make it tough to enjoy the wonderful surroundings that the area is famous for?
Udo, What you are saying is simply not true, there are lots of public access places, even ones where. you can drive on to the beach. Just between Los Cerritos and San Pedrito, I can think of at least a dozen spots where you can access some beautiful (and empty) beaches. Legally, I believe that there is supposed to be a public access every 1000mts. There is one BIG walled subdivision about halfway up but there is an access point at the north end of it.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Thanks, mono loco.

I think my next trip down that way I'll google-earth the area to see where all the dirt roads are that lead to a beach.

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
My question...

Between South Pescadero and Todos Santos area, there are no open beach access areas. A development like this would make that even worse. One won't be able to get within an eye shot to see sand or water.

However, I was persistent in trying to find a way to the ocean:

In mid TS, I drove several dirt roads and one of them took me to within 300 feet of the water. And that area turned out to be a turtle sanctuary.
The other two places (as I said, I am[/b[ persistent: one was driving down the wash near north Pescadero, and the other place was a well camouflaged dirt road that drops off sharply, near the south end of Pescadero

Most of TS and Pescadero houses are fully walled-in, and there is no path or room to walk between the houses. I don't know why one would wall themselves in their living encampment. Does it not make it tough to enjoy the wonderful surroundings that the area is famous for?
Udo, What you are saying is simply not true, there are lots of public access places, even ones where. you can drive on to the beach. Just between Los Cerritos and San Pedrito, I can think of at least a dozen spots where you can access some beautiful (and empty) beaches. Legally, I believe that there is supposed to be a public access every 1000mts. There is one BIG walled subdivision about halfway up but there is an access point at the north end of it.
Or just stop by and I'll show you.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-13-2014 at 09:07 AM

That sound like a great idea, mono.

Check your u-2's

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2014 at 03:31 PM

Hey Gang. Missed these posts as I was busy building high walls around my house and stringing barbed wire down at the beach access?! The main beach at Cerritos is the most beautiful beach in the area. Beach Restaurant , too. I wouldn't waste my time here in the Huerta as the roads are so bad and the locals .... PD, one visit to Peskys and you're writing a blog Pescadero Dreams?? Did I mention the Dengue fever problem? All in good humour, Amigos but Sssshhh, no magazine Covers, please. :smug::bounce::smug: Tio ps now back to the Sustainability/water issues plus of No Hay Santos.

[Edited on 6-13-2014 by tiotomasbcs]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2014 at 03:43 PM

Tio - I drank the kool-aid - and it tasted like tequila! :cool:

Seriously, I realize that 4 visits to the Todos Santos area - and only one to Pescadero - doesn't constitute much in the way of research, but we plan to do much more exploring over the next few years, including visits during off-season and extended visits. With any luck I can find an IT gig that will allow me to work remotely, something my wife - who owns her own business - is already able to do.

[Edited on 6-13-2014 by pauldavidmena]

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2014 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Hey Gang. Missed these posts as I was busy building high walls around my house and stringing barbed wire down at the beach access?! The main beach at Cerritos is the most beautiful beach in the area. Beach Restaurant , too. I wouldn't waste my time here in the Huerta as the roads are so bad and the locals .... PD, one visit to Peskys and you're writing a blog Pescadero Dreams?? Did I mention the Dengue fever problem? All in good humour, Amigos but Sssshhh, no magazine Covers, please. :smug::bounce::smug: Tio ps now back to the Sustainability/water issues plus of No Hay Santos.

[Edited on 6-13-2014 by tiotomasbcs]
Has that spate of beheadings eased up yet so I can come home?:lol:

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 03:17 PM

Just found this article, which, while critical of the Tres Santos development, also highlights the fact that Colorado State University's involvement with the project is completely independent of it.

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 08:41 PM

Good read, thanks.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 10:40 AM

Just read this letter to the President of CSU on todossantos.net. It seems that the water shortage in Baja California Sur is galvanizing opposition to the project.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2014 at 03:27 PM

Here is a recent article on the project in "Travel Pulse" magazine. It bugs me to hear Todos Santos referred to as a "Tourist Town [Built] From Scratch" when it's been around for centuries, emerging as the sleepy ex-pat artist community I fell in love with over the past few decades.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2014 at 08:27 AM

I've never been to Todos Santos, so I have fresh eyes regarding the Tres Santos project. The architecture is cheap looking and not in conformance with its Mexican, Baja desert location. Looks like some "affordabe housing" project. Proposed 1500+ homes? Why? Who will be buying these homes? Make absolutely no sense. And the Colorado University deal? There's something hinky going on there no doubt. And where's the water? Sounds like the shenanigans that went on with Loreto Bay - only a fraction of them built and they left the project in chaos, none of the promises met. And much less to offer buyers at Todos Santos - no Gulf of California, further from a major town. I think all the buyers have been shaken from the trees years ago. LOTS of Baja property for sale now. Makes no sense.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2014 at 08:37 AM

From their website:
"Few places on earth rival the variety of natural assets found around Todos Santos. The Pacific, the endless shoreline, the pristine beaches and world-class surf breaks all draw a new kind of crowd. Adrenaline junkies, climbers, elite athletes in training. Those looking to commune with nature, who want to bike, swim and trek the terrain, the mountains, and the sand. And also those seeking a gentler path—walking, gardening, cooking, and photography. No matter the motivation, nature is close-up here."

THESE ARE NOT THE KIND OF PEOPLE WHO WILL BUY A SECOND HOME IN THIS PROJECT. These are your average tourists who can find all of the above anywhere in Baja California. As for the gardening and cooking, plenty of land AND WATER in Missouri.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2014 at 01:16 PM

There is probably 15-20 homes a year sold in Todos Santos, so I seriously doubt that they will build 1500 anytime soon, maybe in 50 years. The market for that many homes simply does not exist, it seems like there is a lot of hand wringing here over nothing. If anything in this area is unsustainable, it's the giant agriculture projects that have gone in over the last 10 years, destroying 1000's of hectares of native plants, draining water tables, and contaminating the environment with massive amounts of toxic chemicals. Where were all these dune hugging environmentalists when they were bulldozing the desert for that? I believe that many of them are just worried about their view. Tres Santos is bringing much needed economic activity to Todos Santos, what opportunities will the locals have without projects like this? Selling trinkets to cruise ship tourists who come on the bus from Cabo? Working in virtual slavery for large agribusiness concerns? Being gardeners for retired gringos?

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2014 at 02:16 PM

Mono, I have a question or two. Will the local Santenos work for min wages? They didn't for the big agri businesses! Cheap labor from the mainland and where will they live? And our beautiful beach at Cerritos is almost closed off to the public like they will do at Punta Lobos. My view is already taken by the California Green ( not veggies) kids. Wilderone's view is perceptive in that it doesn't seem to appeal to the average tourist; The Country Club and Yacht Club , Yes. And what about the Cartel shootings? Yes, I have a few doubts. Tio
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2014 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Mono, I have a question or two. Will the local Santenos work for min wages? They didn't for the big agri businesses! Cheap labor from the mainland and where will they live? And our beautiful beach at Cerritos is almost closed off to the public like they will do at Punta Lobos. My view is already taken by the California Green ( not veggies) kids. Wilderone's view is perceptive in that it doesn't seem to appeal to the average tourist; The Country Club and Yacht Club , Yes. And what about the Cartel shootings? Yes, I have a few doubts. Tio
Let me ask you Tio, Where do think that economic opportunity for the locals should come from? Right now there are probably 20 dump truck drivers, many engineers, heavy equipment operators, construction workers, surveyors, etc. who have jobs because of this project.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 08:26 AM

@monoloco - to your point, the Tres Santos folks were very active in the recovery efforts immediately following Odile. I imagine that can go a long way toward building good will within the community.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 10:41 AM

The gringo population of Todos Santos has gone from close to zero to probably 500+ in the last 30 years, so if you live in Todos, and believe that development is such a scourge, you are already part of the problem. I seriously doubt that a 32 room hotel and another 100 or 200 homes in a well planned development with good infrastructure is going to have more of an adverse effect than all the gringos who have come here and crammed homes into areas like La Cachora without upgrading the roads and infrastructure.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.