Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: places to stay south of San Felipe
Deerko

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 10:09 AM
places to stay south of San Felipe

I want to go north from GN and cross over through Coco's corner through San Felipe to Mexicali.
Any recommendations for camping spots or places to stay from Gonzaga Bay going north to Mexicali?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 10:17 AM

Campgrounds:

Gonzaga Bay (100 miles from San Felipe): Campo Beluga http://vivabaja.com/207/page3.html

23 miles from San Felipe (Km. 32): Nuevo Mazatlan http://vivabaja.com/nm/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 11:46 AM

And not a lot else, from Gonzaga to SF, as I remember...

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 03:30 PM

(Km. 32): Nuevo Mazatlan http://vivabaja.com/nm/

Has all you need. Trees and showers. As you drive in....take the road to your right where there is a bunch of trees. Seems to be cooler in there.

Puertecitos is not bad either. Showers and overheads at the campsite. They bring in water for your site, has a BBQ pit. Clara runs a nice operation there.

If you dont need a "established" camp.............I find hundreds of spots to do primitive camping from SF to BoLA. Black Mountain is real nice area (8 miles south of Puertecitos)

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 11:24 PM

Papa Fernandez at Gonzaga Bay is safe and secure. As McFez says, north of there just about any road to the water can be a good camp spot though you are on your own.
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 06:24 AM

Does anybody know the nightly cost for camping at Nuevo Mazatlan?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 06:36 AM

I was just gonna add, bring plenty of dolares or pesos with you. Now the highway is in, the prices are as steep as some of the grades on Hwy 1. I believe the prices at Nuevo Mazatlán are around $20 a night, and that is without any hook-ups (water may be available). Average for the whole strip, anyway. Fishing? You'll be dealing with relatively much higher tides than you're used to also, and lots of deep sand. Where there's a will, there's a way (or a lawsuit and relatives). If it's surf-casting you do, watch at low-tide for structure and moss, and hit at high tide.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 07:27 AM

Do you know if that $20 is pet car or per site? I know percebu was/is $25 per site with 2-3 cars. Punta Estrella was $25 per car. Campo Beluga (Gonzaga) is $25 per site.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
Do you know if that $20 is pet car or per site? I know percebu was/is $25 per site with 2-3 cars. Punta Estrella was $25 per car. Campo Beluga (Gonzaga) is $25 per site.

Ah, I see prices are increasing (NOOO!!! :O ) Usually, it's by the vehicle, and 2-3 people; additional people the cost generally increases by the head. (The RV park just south of Maneadero on Hwy 1 has a reasonable price, until you find out it's PER PERSON; then becomes outrageous. And, they won't come wash your sheets in the morning). Now the new highway is in, you can expect U.S. prices, if not higher, for the future.

86 - 45*

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 08:13 AM

20-25 per night with very little facilities. A San Felipe Hotel is how much?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 08:23 AM

I got a great SF motel for about 35 bucks....2 months ago

mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

I have thought the same thing. But it isn't as fun :). Btw, what is the name of the motel you stayed at?
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I have thought the same thing. But it isn't as fun :). Btw, what is the name of the motel you stayed at?

North of town 5 miles.....pass the ED and there are three or four Motels that are less than 40 bucks. But that aint beach camping :-(

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Quote:
Quote:

North of town 5 miles.....pass the ED and there are three or four Motels that are less than 40 bucks. But that aint beach camping :-(

ED?????You need to go see a doctor for that.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 08:05 AM

ED = The el dorado

VD = you need to stay away from cheap tricks

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 08:10 AM

Beach camping: I have a theory on 'Earth Compaction'. One morning I woke up and said, ''oh shucks (sp), gravity works!''. The earth is compacting itself by gravity much like packing a snowball. The same sandy beaches I camped on for years are now MUCH harder than they used to be... so a nice soft mattress and somebody else to do the laundry is sometimes a more favorable alternative. Not that i'm getting older or nuthin'..........

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 09:31 AM

YES!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Beach camping: I have a theory on 'Earth Compaction'. One morning I woke up and said, ''oh shucks (sp), gravity works!''. The earth is compacting itself by gravity much like packing a snowball. The same sandy beaches I camped on for years are now MUCH harder than they used to be... so a nice soft mattress and somebody else to do the laundry is sometimes a more favorable alternative. Not that i'm getting older or nuthin'..........

Good one!

As for Nuevo Mazatlan, the price began at $5/night... but everything was cheaper in the 60's & 70's, right?

As for it being $20-25, that is pretty much the rate, but if you have multiple cars in the same group, negotiate for a discount. Arvada George did when his big group camped there a few years ago.

Nuevo Mazatlan is unique in that it is 'forest' camping next to a huge sand beach. Camp founder Luis Castellanos Moreno in the late 1960's planted cuttings from a nearby salt cedar tree and grew the forest to provide shaded camping... It is very special indeed.

Last time I actually camped there was in August, 2006 when the tide was so high, Shell Island was an island big time:

http://vivabaja.com/806/

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 10:46 AM

We stayed one night at neuvo mazatlan. It was $25 with cold showers poor quality toilets and salty water. I don,t mind paying the going rate if you get something for it. There is one site right on the beach that was very nice and the beach is great. If I was you I would keep going to Punta finale. It costs $12 and you get nothing but a pit toilet. But if you have kayaks this place is a must see! Lots of remote beaches in the inlet south of the camp spot. Great exploring in the inlet, good hiking. There is a salt water lake back there is you are adventurous. We had a school of hammerhead sharks in there in January that was a little interesting in a kayak with 4" of freeboard. Jose is the Mexican host there. Drive past the first sign and go right to the beach. He can get water for you if you need it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 11:54 AM

You get the location and the forest of trees.

I would agree that a Gonzaga Bay area camp would provide clearer water than one by San Felipe. Punta Final sounds great, but very little is published about them being much more than a private home area (like Alfonsina's), but without the motel and restaurant???

http://puntafinal.com/
hundreds of photos: http://puntafinal.com/puntafinalpictures.html

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.