Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Calimax - San Felipe
mannings
Junior Nomad

Mood: chill

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 06:16 AM
Calimax - San Felipe

I have an iron stomach. I eat anything and everything and always have.

However, my kids have never left the U.S. (bleh) and I am trying my best to keep them from pain.

So that said, anyone with advice on Calimax in San Felipe? Specifically, fruits, cheeses, milk... all that I am assuming should be okay. Am I assuming correctly. (Barring the unusual, of course.)

Edit: changed title from "climax" to Calimax.

[Edited on 5-25-2014 by mannings]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 06:17 AM

spell check!

they'll be fine.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 06:17 AM

What is your question?

mannings
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 06:20 AM

auto-correct... is dumb.

Anyway.. probably get more views but few responses... lol
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 06:26 AM

Food isn't as bad as in the Olden Daze when we brushed our teeth with beer (a few noted Nomad exceptions still do). Just buy what looks and smells fresh. Most meat counters/markets take a little getting used to in Mexico, but you're still pretty safe. Don't be afraid of the smaller, more personable tiendas too. Good to get to know some local owners; ask around.

Also, any time you travel distances, say Chicago to Phoenix, there's some getting used to the local micro-organisms that take acclimating to. Don't lock your kids in a bubble; just enjoy, and keep the Pepto handy just in case. The best foods are usually at the smaller stands and farmer's markets.

Happy noshing!

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 07:37 AM

There are several large stores in SF including Max that has all what your kids may like. American brand type stuff. The smaller stores has the same but in smaller selection. The only stuff that you wont find anywhere are the snacks (chips, cookies, soda). Every damn bag of chip in The Baja has chile powder in it :-) No fast food in sf thank the Gods......My kids and grandkids survived ....yours will too :-)

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
mannings
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 07:42 AM

Haha.. thanks Fez.

I too am thankful for no McDon'ts.

I've never concerned myself with eating anything, anywhere. Glad to know dairy is okay.. that's a biggie with 5 kids.

[Edited on 5-25-2014 by mannings]
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 08:08 AM

The water is fine too :-)

Your concern for the kids: WEAR SHOES IN THE WATER. Sun tan lotion every two hours. Have a picture of the kids in your car in case one gets lost. Dont let them pet the sharks.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 08:18 AM

We frequently shop at Calimax but hubby walked into meat dept this week & it smelled soooooo bad he decided he just could not buy there that day. They really need to clean it much better. Others have told me this previously also.
mannings
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 08:25 AM

Good to know, meme. Thanks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 10:02 AM

Peanut butter and jelly works on Bimbo bread just as well as on Wonder bread!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 11:29 AM
Calimax

We were so happy when the new Calimax went in It's a nice bright and clean store. But almost ever time I have gone there I wind up having to go to D.J.'s to get what I went after.:lol::lol:
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Your concern for the kids: WEAR SHOES IN THE WATER. Sun tan lotion every two hours.

Mc Fez. are you refering to stepping on an object or rays
or both? At an extreme low tide, in town SF, one can see
pieces of rebar, broken bottles, etc., just waiting for someones foot, not the same level of concern outside of
town
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Your concern for the kids: WEAR SHOES IN THE WATER. Sun tan lotion every two hours.

Mc Fez. are you referring to stepping on an object or rays
or both? At an extreme low tide, in town SF, one can see
pieces of re-bar, broken bottles, etc., just waiting for someones foot, not the same level of concern outside of
town

I wear water boots in most locations on the Cortez. Rays.....to barnacles. Now that sharp rock down by Black Mountain surely will give ya a bad day. The Sea of Cortez has many sandy beds for the rays...just a great idea to take precaution with the kids.

As far as re bar and all that other stuff....look at Tamales Bay some time! Junk is unfortunately all over the beaches....everywhere.

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 09:38 PM

.....don't forget the magic of lime---lots of vitC,,,and very pro-active for stomach issues---especially 'neuvo gringo':)
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 07:59 AM

Calimax has many other things you might need or want so it's a good enough store with the exception of a very bad smelling meat Dept. So I am not saying do not shop there, but also watch your change upon purchasing also. Some folks been having a problem getting correct change back. We like La Vaquita & D J Market also.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 08:52 AM

My experience has been that fresh Mexican milk just doesnt last as long as US milk. I've had stuff go bad well before the "best before" date.

Since you are a ways from SF in the campos, see if the kids will drink the ultra-pasteurized milk in the one liter boxes that are not refrigerated. It has a slight off taste to many, including me, but it's not bad. Stuff will last for a month, at least, if refrigerated after opening. It has a long shelf life, too, when unopened.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
My experience has been that fresh Mexican milk just doesnt last as long as US milk. I've had stuff go bad well before the "best before" date.

Since you are a ways from SF in the campos, see if the kids will drink the ultra-pasteurized milk in the one liter boxes that are not refrigerated. It has a slight off taste to many, including me, but it's not bad. Stuff will last for a month, at least, if refrigerated after opening. It has a long shelf life, too, when unopened.

I too always thought it was the Milk but after living here for a while I have discovered that a lot of stores turn off the Electricity at Night and the milk is not kept at the proper temperature thus it starts going bad in the store and some stores don't rotate their stock so you should always check the sell date. :yes::yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 10:27 AM

The box milk can be added to the ice chest an hour before using to pour onto cereal. Tell the kids it is how the astronauts do it on Mars (or will some day)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 11:39 AM

Watch your change at DJs also
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.