BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paz to Tecate , 5/25, Construction!
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 03:45 PM
La Paz to Tecate , 5/25, Construction!

We just drove from La Paz to Tecate in late May 2014.

To summarize:

Roads in Baja Sur are in very good condition with lots of construction on going.

Roads in Baja Norte are just basically in lousy condition compared to the southern road.

There are LOTS of construction zones between La Paz and Loreto. I lost count, but at least 10 to 14 separate construction zones. Some short, some long, some detours pretty bad, some waits quite long.

There is a large "feel good" government sign at each end of the La Paz - Constitucion segment that proclaims "the reconstruction" of this segment. It appears that the highway is being widened to the new standard - wide lanes with 4-6 ft wide shoulders.

Our travel time from La Paz to San Ignacio is usually about 8 hours. This trip - 11 hours.

The military checkpoint 20 miles north of Loreto was again a pain in the a$$. About a 20 minute inspection. Opened everything. Tapped on everything. There was hardly any traffic and the boys just looked bored and this seemed to give them something to do! Every vehicle was getting worked over.

The 40 mile stretch from El Pedregoso to Catavina continues to deteriorate. Should be down to bare dirt in another year or two!

Looks like there is another major improvement project under way on the Tecate-Ensenada road. It appears that the high summit section north of Valle Guadalupe is going to be bypassed by a completely new alignment. There is construction equipment working near both ends. Looking southbound from the north end, you can see at least a mile of new alignment with cuts and fills staying low in the valley rather than climbing towards the existing summit. Northbound, right at the end of the currently widened section, there is a new cut and new alignment.

Hit Tecate at 1:30 pm on Saturday afternoon. Four vehicles ahead of us!

Overall, good trip. Just think that I would prefer that some of the Baja Sur road money be diverted to Baja Norte. Or maybe not, seeing as we live in Baja Sur.....
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 04:01 PM

Thanks for the detailed report.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 06:55 PM

Ughhhhhh one of the waits was close to 40 minutes! The one right before Loreto when you are headed north. They even have people on both sides of the impasse selling chips, sodas, water. And it looks like there is still a lot of work to be done.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 07:42 PM

We were in that both ways 40 mins south, 20 mins north! they are clearing rocks form the top and pushing them into the water! Can't do that around here!
Hi Blanca and Les.
mikeymarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 08:32 PM

well, I just drove the whole thing in earlier May---both ways--- yes, I only remember the two long detours north of constitution-towards loreto

It STILL beats the San Diego to los angeles freeway travel !!!!!! yuk
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeymarlin
well, I just drove the whole thing in earlier May---both ways--- yes, I only remember the two long detours north of constitution-towards lore to.

Is road work happening on weekends? Like Saturday and Sunday?

Any work being done between Loreto and GN?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 08:29 PM

Lee... that post was 4 months ago... I think there are newer trip reports on Nomad for better road reports?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Lee... that post was 4 months ago... I think there are newer trip reports on Nomad for better road reports?

Yes. Newest post 2 months old same construction.

If there's no construction, bet it would be Sunday.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeymarlin
well, I just drove the whole thing in earlier May---both ways--- yes, I only remember the two long detours north of constitution-towards lore to.

Is road work happening on weekends? Like Saturday and Sunday?

Any work being done between Loreto and GN?

Here is a report from 5 DAYS ago on that section: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=75286

No mention of any construction issues.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.