Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: what is the protocol
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The folks that know me here know my 'testy' remarks are usually posted in defence of me or my friends when we are harassed...

OR... if you misspell anything... :lol:

Great thread here!
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 10:52 AM

When it comes to making small talk, the weather serves the same purpose in both Spanish and English. If you don't have much Spanish, "Hace calor/frio," "Hay mucho viento," and other blah comments on the weather can be helpful, when you're passing time in an effort to get acquainted with local people.

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 12:53 PM

I just want to preface this post by saying first and formost that I am no expert in this area. That being said, I have found (and many of you will already know this) that it is very important to "make small talk" in the Mexican culture. To simply walk up and get right to the point of the conversation can seem downright rude to the person you are trying to strike up a conversation with.
For us 'gringos' this can be a sort of a double edged sword. First off, we are used to getting right to the point. In fact, we often expect it. And secondly, those of us with less than fluent bi-lingual skills can find ourselves in a bit of a bind attempting to make small talk because we often just don't understand!
But there is a sort of beauty to this whole scenario that I really like. It forces a person to do two things: 1. Learn the language AND learn the culture. (Both are equally valuable.) And 2. Slow down a little bit.
Anyway, more than my two cents worth.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 07:14 PM

well, i thank you all for the info. this isn't, by far, my first trip south. it is however, the first time that i have planned on showing up with quite a bit of stuff (oh, how i miss the days in puerto escondido, oaxaca when you could bring 3-4 trunks, 5-10 t's and trade for hammocks, oysters and the like), we usually just buy whatever mariscos the pangueros are hawking.

seeing JR's posts regarding his never ending charitable efforts got me to thinking:?: "hey, dummy. your wife doesn't get rid of anything, but maybe if you explain what it's really for, who will really benefit from the STUFF, she may just let it go. lo, and behold it worked. now my bro has stuff his kids have outgrown so i think it will be a success.

not trying to brag or nuthin'...:saint:

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 10:17 PM
Woody

Those darn remote beaners have a way about them. Just by your posts I can see that your conversation with those who don't speaka de englise will immediately improve your Spanish. Listen !
The main reason being, when you get away from the americanized Mexicans, they look you right in the eyes and will know in minutes whether they want you around or not. Intuition? No se.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the limited amount of time you have planned to spend delivering and making conversation is about to increase a lot!
You will see when you meet some of these guys who slow down enough to make you understand what they are telling you. Pay attention !!!!!!:biggrin:
Honesty and a pure heart means everything! And, they can tell:lol:
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

smile.gif posted on 12-15-2004 at 08:44 AM

woody

Surf until it blows out, then load up and spend the afternoon meeting the locals! :biggrin:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 07:33 PM

copy that!

lift-off in 4.5 hours...:spingrin::bounce::P

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 08:42 PM
I like Whistlers comment......

"Just ask if they know someone that might use these things"

Thanks!
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 08:55 PM

Hi there,

What is a polite way to phrase the question in Spanish,

"Do you know anyone who can use these things?"

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 10:47 PM
Me too!!

Nevermind personality and human caring about others. Give em the chit, and carry on witcho bidness.
We are to buzy to deal witcho kine!! We be on vakation. We be gringos wid mo impotant things to do than meeting humans and getting to know others lives.:no:
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2004 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Hi there,

What is a polite way to phrase the question in Spanish,

"Do you know anyone who can use these things?"

Hi Gypsy Jan -

A literal translation of your sentence would be:

?Sabe alguien que pueda usar estas cositas?

You'd be understood fine saying it that way - use/usar aren't quite cognates in this case - but you'd be understood.

I'd probably soften things a little by saying:

?Acaso sabe una familia (pobre) que necesita de un poco de ropa ( o comida o estas cositas o lo que sea)?

Would you happen to know a (poor)familia that needs some clothing (or food or these things or whatever)?

I hope that doesn't confuse you.

Post under Spanish if you have more questions.

"Acaso" is a good word to have under you cintur?n - it softens things a lot - and kind of translates to "Would you happen..."

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.