Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Felipe
woeste

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 10:38 AM
San Felipe

we are traveling to san felipe in june. we would like to know if there is a grocery store in town. and where is a good place to go to buy shrimp (frozen or fresh)?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 11:38 AM

A couple of grocery stores in town. Two chains, Calimax and Bodega Aurrera (an offshoot of Wal-Mart). Several small independent stores.

Shrimp can be had at a few fish markets or from a couple of trucks on the Malecon

Fresh fruit/vegetables at a stand across from the Calimax on either Tuesday or Thursday.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 11:44 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=56716#pid6756...

San Felipe has more stores, fuel, and fish markets ...........the town has everything you might need.

[Edited on 6-7-2014 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 11:47 AM

A word to the wise, I hope you like heat; the desert southwest including Baja is already suffering record-high temps this week. Couple the 100+ temps and stifling humidity, it can be pretty miserable so plan accordingly, and stay hydrated! Also, this has been a bad year for procuring shrimp, so expect high prices IF you can find any this late in the season.
Happy trails,
bb

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 11:51 AM
Bakery

Speaking of the big roundabout by the PEMEX stations, as you enter the roundabout, take the road to the left (your 9 o'clock) ....Mar Caribe Norte that borders the PEMEX.....go down Mar Caribe Norte about 5 blocks.....on your left you will find a great bakery. fresh everything.....don't forget to try the apple fritters.

PS: If you drink milk, buy the milk in the boxes, seems to last longer

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
PS: If you drink milk, buy the milk in the boxes, seems to last longer

ooooh, speaking of boxed milk; is anyone addicted to Nutri Leche in the small (all green) pint box for their coffee creamer in the morning as I am?
:bounce: El Yumm-o !!!

86 - 45*

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woeste
and where is a good place to go to buy shrimp

I believe the shrimp season is from Nov. to ?, I assume
it is closed now. Frozen, possibly. Rubens Fish Mkt may be
an option, was/is 1 blk to the right of the previously
mentioned traffic circle on Ave. Chetumal. We usually
bring most from home, except for friut, avocados, etc.
woeste

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 02:38 PM

Thanks for the info.
Not too worried about the heat, I have lived in So. Cal all my life.
Forecast is for temps around 100.
Beer and water and shade work wonders.
We are returning to Baja after a 18 year hiatus. wish us luck.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 02:41 PM

have a great trip!:spingrin:
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 04:37 PM

The heat in L.A. ( I grew up there and currently go there twice a month) is NOT the same as San Felipe. Feels like you are inside a microwave :-) So.....do be prepared for that trip there. Take several gallons of water in case you have a break down and cant get help for a few hours.

Quote:
Originally posted by woeste
Thanks for the info.
Not too worried about the heat, I have lived in So. Cal all my life.
Forecast is for temps around 100.
Beer and water and shade work wonders.
We are returning to Baja after a 18 year hiatus. wish us luck.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 04:43 PM

Rubens not open but there are several fish markets in san Felipe. Summer there is different so i am not sure what is open. Just too darn hot to go there!!As others have told you take LOTS of water and drink even when you are not thirsty. Nancy
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 05:27 PM

WOESTE: Both McFez and nbacc are on the mark; can't warn you enough about the heat. Totally different world between the Mar de Cortez and the Pacific and So. Cal. The Sea of Cortez, especially that far north gets hot enough to have fish kill-offs, and people too. The phenomenon of heat-related deaths is just beginning to be documented, due to **********(deleted by ME due to those who would be skeptical/brand/faux news). Just be prepared, and HAVE A GREAT TRIP!! Please post how it goes. Stay well, stay cool, be cool.
:cool:

86 - 45*

meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 08:31 AM

I live in a totally solar house( no a/c) in the desert of San Felipe. It has been in high 90's a few days over 100 degrees so far. If you try not to do much(work) in the sun & strive for shade there are some nice breezes also. Drink water often, DO NOT GO ANYPLACE without water! You never know when you might need it badly. Breakdowns can be very unexpected & good to have water.Most evening are lovely for being outside & often dining outside on patios of restaurants. I highly recommend Petes Camp patios, Parrots Cracker & El Cotez as some of our favorite places.
No fresh shrimp now but likely can find frozen. The restaurants serve it so someone must have it? We don;t eat much shrimp.
Several good groceries stores & many have much nowadays that Americans want. Had great filet mignon last nite from D J Market! Less than $8 for two nice size filets.
CakedecT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 08:52 AM

If you go in the water, watch out for stingrays! Do the stingray shuffle! Look it up...
woeste

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 09:06 AM

Thanks for the real time info Meme. We will have plenty of water.
Do you live in the desert or close to the water?
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 09:15 AM

If it's been 18 years since you were in San Felipe you are going to see incredible differences.

Allen R
P.S. Sent you a U2U as well.
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 10:22 AM

Hello Woeste, I too will be leaving for San Felipe soon. Because of my work I am a "Reverse Snow Bird"....staying at my home in San Felipe in the summers. AND it is hot, but I find it not to be unbearable...I walk in the mornings, and enjoy the evenings with the nice breezes...I live on the desert side not the water side. For Markets, I like La Vaquita on the right on the main road down to the Malecon or DJ which is on the road to the right in the traffic circle. For fish, if Ruben's in closed, go down the road a bit further to Mr. Fish. Any shrimp you get will be frozen as the season is over. There is fresh produce on Tuesdays in a stand that is set up across from the Calimax. Where will you be staying....camping, renting a home? Have a good visit. We love San Felipe and the people there are great!

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 11:55 AM

So I hear SF has a shrimp festival in November anybody know what dates and how long it goes on??? thanks nomads:coolup:
woeste

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 01:37 PM

Grace59,
Thanks for the info. We leave on Saturday morning early.
We are renting a condo just south of the marina.
Thanks again.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 03:10 PM
Summer is the BEST!

Can't wait to get back south of San Felipe and soak in the warm sea! We have a sun shade, ice chests, and floating water chairs. May-October good, June-Sept. better. Yes it can be killer hot in July & August, but ohhh how relaxing it is in the shade. The sea is also warm all night long.

Some July-Sept. pics:

In San Felipe, there are 4WD roving bars to take care of your thirst!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.