Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Picacho del Diablo, Spring 05
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 10:30 AM
Picacho del Diablo, Spring 05

I'd like to start planning a trip for March or April, depending on snow pack. Typical 4 day trip: Camp at the car first night, Campo Noche second night, climb the peak then back to Campo Noche third night then hike out and drive home.
Anyone interested?

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 11:53 AM

I have a friend here in San Felipe who has been dieing to climb Diablo but needs coimpanions. If you will u2u me your Email add, I will pass it on to him.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Satellite Man
Junior Nomad

Mood: :bounce:

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 01:58 PM

Sounds like an awesome trip!! I?d like to hear (and see pictures) more about your trip when completed.

In the mean time I?ll have this picture to keep me company. :)

Got to Surf!!
Visit my Baja Satellite image art at: http://www.satprints.com
Satellite Man
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 02:02 PM

Got to Surf!!
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 03:40 PM

Hey Sat Man!

Thanks for the image. Way cool.
Hey, are you planning to get some of this swell that's headed our way this next weekend?
I'll be headed down to the Sisters to see what we can pick up. Been pouring over my Pta Blanco image that I got from you just to get prepped.
Keep the stoke!
Andy

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 03:42 PM
Satellite Man

Now ... If I just knew what I was looking at with your picures ....:bounce::o;D
Great PICs ... by the way ....:bounce:

:o:smug:;D:yawn::wow::P:P
Satellite Man
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 06:25 PM

Bajaandy,

I?ll be catching the surf in San Diego. It looks a BIG swell!

Couple of my friend went down to ?The Wall? for this last swell. I haven?t heard from them yet. I?m sure they had a great time or maybe they will hang out for this next swell. Wish I could be around the Seven Sisters.

I?m glad your are using the print to get exited about your trip. It?s always cool to see how people enjoy the prints.

I?d really like to see some pictures of your surf trip. So, don?t forget to post some. This way we can share in your stoke!

Cristobal,

The first image is an over view of my 24?x36? satellite print of Picacho del Diablo. The mountain is right in the middle of the print.

The second is a closer look at the area.

Enjoy!
:bounce:

Got to Surf!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-13-2004 at 11:02 PM

BajaAndy, this is a Diablo climbing web page that I have linked on my site, perhaps interesting to you: http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/devil.htm

Christobal: the close up image is Diablo Canyon, which seperates Diablo mountain from the rest of the Sierra San Pedro Martir. The twin peak of Diablo is just off the top right corner of the close up image. The observatory is on the left side of the canyon, but north of the top edge (left of center) of the map. Cool to see a dusting of snow!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 10:40 AM
Thanks David!

I have read that particular report and many others in preperation for this trip.
I have yet to determine an exact date for the climb, but hopefully in early spring before it begins to warm up, and yet late enough that there won't be snow on the climb.
Although a climber for life, and a true Baja aficionado, I have yet to travel in the mountains of Baja. I have climbed in mainland Mexico, and all over the Sierra and Cascade range, yet somehow I've left a jewel sitting here in my own back yard for years.
Thanks again for the link. Any and all information is welcomed!

JBL Noel
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2004 at 10:00 AM

Desert Rat,
Check out this link.
http://www.blueroadrunner.com/picacho.htm
It has a map with waypoints posted for the Western approach. There are also links to other reports and maps for the Eastern approach, but I'm not sure about waypoints for that route.

JBL Noel
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 08:52 AM
My 2 cents

I would like to do this hike also. I am a bit worried about leaving a vehicle at the trailhead, especially my vehicle. Credible reports recommend dropoff and pickup.
Also, I think trailhead to Campo Noche is a bit much. I would prefer an overnight stop on the way up and down. 2 up, one to summit, 2 down. I would like to take some time and enjoy the hike, take some pics, not just bag a peak.
Early to mid April if weather permits.
OK, what do you all think?

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 09:15 AM

If you take a east side approach, I probably could help with a drop off/pick up deal from the El Dorado comunity. Vehicles pretty secure down here.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 09:35 AM
Muchas Gracias BajaLou! NFM

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 11:53 AM

Jorge,

I'm talking West side approach. No way I would try to do Campo Noche from the East side in one day. But from the West it is not that far, just a l o n g way down. Looks like snow is going to be a problem this year, so I may put off the trip 'til the route is in good shape. I'm not really interested in a mixed climb on this mountain.
I had not heard the reports of vehicle safety (or lack thereof) parked at the West side trail head. Are you referring to the East side?
Once again, anyone interested in making this climb drop me a u2u and we'll get something in the works... dates, etc.

JBL Noel
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 02:34 PM

Sorry. I was refering to the eastern approach. I like the idea of the eastern approach, desert to the peak through a beautiful canyon. Also, traditionally, the eastern approach opens up first, less snow and ice. I'm with bajaandy, I am not interested in technical shenenigans. So if its not reasonable to do it in April, I too can wait till May, but let's see what info we can gather first.
I am hoping April 9 or 16 as start dates, eastern approach.
I will try and get down that way in a couple of weeks and check it out. Also, many Mexican climbers will try the climb over Semana Santa and there should be some feedback before those dates.
Dez Rat, if you need a ride from the airport
San Diego or SNA works great for me and I will be happy to help.
I u2u'd email addys to you guys. Anyone else interested?

expeditionswest

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 09:14 PM

Any snow updates?

I leave for the mountain next Thursday...:bounce:

Scott Brady
Expedition's West
www.expeditionswest.com
Email: guide@expeditionswest.com
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2005 at 08:42 AM

Last tuesday, snow was still visable from the floor of the valley but the weather is warm so should be melting fast.

No Bad Days

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 06:32 PM
Thanks!

I have never met Desert Rat. I have never met BajaLou.

Somehow, through this board where we are now after the Amigos board, through shared stories and information, we managed to put a trip together. DR leaves Texas manana, I hook up with him on Saturday in Calexico and we drive to meet up with BajaLou.
BajaLou has so kindly offered to drive us to our base camp and Sunday we begin an attempt to summit Diablo. I have been wanting to climb that mountain for a long, long time. Just didn't want to do this one alone, and i do many hikes alone.
So, through the wonders of this internet thing, fellow hikers and dreamers hookup and the adventures continue.

If I make it to the top, I am going to say hello to my dad, for a brief moment I will be in heaven with him.

Thanks to all who post on this board and care about Baja.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 06:39 PM

Here's Baja Lou the day I met him near Parral Canyon, 4-04.

I posted a photo of DR in the other thread about the CODE 200, I think...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 07:30 PM

Here's Desert Rat as he headed out for last year's assualt on Diablo.

Well the attachment didn't.

[Edited on 4-21-2005 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.