BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Solo trip to that place that no one talks about...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 10:48 AM

Just got NOMAD "Vince" 's alert to this posting-----------WOW, that is exactly the way we did it--------for some 50+ years in Baja!!! My old '69 Ford truck (still running well) has EXACTLY the same seat covers as your truck, Andy. (-:

What a great trip report. In 1996 I gave my '69 Ford to my son, and bought a used 1994 F-250 with a 360 V-8 to replace the '69 6-cyl truck, and it has served me well in Baja with no breakdowns ever. We almost always camped on remote beaches or washes, just like you did.

Yes, the "old Baja" DOES still exist!!!

Barry
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 12:50 PM

Great vid.....gracias :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Udo, where your logic (and DKs) fail you is that even after traveling nearly 100 miles offroad from San Ig, when you finally get to Juanico 10,000 dogs, babies, old men and women are all there sneering as they see the new guy's dust cloud coming down the hill.....

edit: no offense to the dogs!:light:

[Edited on 6-20-2014 by woody with a view]

San Juanico is at the end of a PAVED road, Woody... Doesn't matter if a bad road is another way there or not. I am not understanding your logic of saying mine fails??? :lol:

Hope you and the wife have a nice weekend... :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 04:42 PM

yeah, good roads WHAT?

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 05:03 PM

Andy, I'm wearing my Curt shirt to the Pads game tonight! look for me in right center field with the rest of the company!!!

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:02 PM

Barry, look closely... that truck has YOUR old rack on the camper shell!

Woody: CATCH ONE FOR CURT!!!!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:12 PM

By the way, that last part of the video is in real time because I was actually in 4X4 low creeping over that two track. The GoPro video really makes the road look like a cream puff, but I can assure you that it was a pretty rugged bit of road.
Oh, and by the way, right at the end, the first thing I did was turn on SPOT, and if you notice, the second thing was to shut down the cell phone. (Wouldn't work there anyway.) Good times for sure.

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 08:35 PM

I thought it was a spot commercial. I thought of your wife knowing you were safe when you put it on your windshield. (a light turned on) I kinda understand the SPOT thing, but most of the things in my life rescue wasn't considered. If you failed, you paid. My wife met me when, I would go for weeks on end without a word, now it's mostly for days. Hell the last trip I called her every night. It was not that remote anymore:( I understand that most family's are different then mine and look at the world with different eyes)

Thinking that spot will save your bacon is like thinking a cop stops crime. They both are good after it is mostly over. I would never consider asking somebody to put themselves harms way for my stupidity, or to save me. I guess I am old school.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 09:48 PM

the kid 2 rows down caught one!

i can't wait until someone bumps into me and sez, "HEY, where'd ya get that shirt?"?

[Edited on 6-21-2014 by woody with a view]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaandy
Barry, look closely... that truck has YOUR old rack on the camper shell!

Woody: CATCH ONE FOR CURT!!!!

LOL--------I DID notice that it looked familiar, but I thought you just had good taste in racks. (-:

Glad to see it traveling again to great spots in "old Baja", Andy. I had forgotten your code name on Nomads as being the one who ended up with MY rack.

Barry
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 11:19 PM

Barry, if that ain't weird enuff, i met up with Andy on the road to "nowhere" eggsackly 9.5 years ago and i can vouch for the man..... he was driving that truck even then! i'm a little worried looking at the video cuz i can't see an in dash stereo or multiple other items.....:lol:

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I thought it was a spot commercial.

Yeah, you said that. Twice.
Cool man! Keep it old school! Been there. Done that. Moved on.
You treat your loved ones the way you choose and I'll do the same.

Barry, I thought you'd get a kick out seeing the old Con-Ferr roof rack back in Baja. It's a perfect place for a spare, extra fuel, stuck equipment, etc. Thanks again for making the sale. I'm glad I was able to make the arrangements to get it down here to Escondido.

Woody, I thought it was over 10 years ago? Wasn't it winter of 03? I checked a few old pics and found some on a spring '04 trip. I dunno. Oh, and yeah, about that stereo; The old brown truck is mechanically sound, and that's all I'm looking for. The A/C stopped working years ago, so now it has Arm-strong A/C. And the battery kept running dead when I parked it, so I traced it to the stereo and yanked that sucker out. This last trip was blissfully un-marred by any outside influences. Just me and the truck and Baja. I even took two books along and never cracked them open!

JBL Noel
bajadentist

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 11:52 PM

Hola andy,

I'm just beginning my baja adventures. I went to a place in central baja last summer. My fishing experience was similar. It's like I went back in time. I speared 2 halibut and saw 2 more and decided to let them go because I already had 2 corbina, 3 lobster, and 2 habs. I fed 8 people that day. I couldn't have found the place we camped at without the company of a good friend who had been going there for 40 years with his parents. I went there with a 2wd highlander and did just fine. I had to air down to blast across the sand when I got to the beach camping spot. I drove down the beach just fine. Of course I was with a friend with a 4wd tundra in case I needed help.

I'm not asking you for the exact location of your camp, but I was curious if I'd be able to get there in my 2wd highlander. I haven't hit a road block in the highlander in baja yet, but I'm always considering selling it to get a 4wd...if it's necessary. What are your thoughts?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-6-2018 at 01:02 AM

There is just nothing better than a good 4WD in Baja!
You should get a good air pump as well for refilling tires because to not get stuck means to lower the air pressure (2WD or 4WD). It is also great with a tire plug kit after you fix a flat.
Andy is a super cool guy... But, he hasn't posted here in about 10 months. I hope he is still monitoring Nomad and replies to your question bajadentist.

(My dad was a dentist who loved fishing and when a patient told him about fishing in Baja and that he needed a 4WD Jeep to get to the hot spots, my dad bought one, right away, and that is what gave me Baja and four wheeling fever... back in 1965)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2018 at 07:53 AM

I knew those Lobster personally. For me they would'nt deal. For this guy they jump out of the water and on to his plate. Mezmerizing that "Never Never Land" that is solitude and God's grace.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2018 at 02:59 PM

Very cool! A trip similar to yours is on my bucket list! Maybe in 2019... :bounce::bounce::bounce:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2018 at 04:03 PM

Please keep your reportage to a minimum. Those areas are shrinking yearly.

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2018 at 05:23 PM

Hola bajadentist...

It gets under your skin, doesn't it? I've often said that Baja steals a little bit of your heart every time you go, and it's trips like this that make it harder and harder to stay away.

In answer to your question, I'd be really, REALLY surprised if you could get there without 4x4. But I've been proven wrong before, so who knows? I can tell you that the way I get to that particular little gem of a place requires 4 wheel drive when approaching from the north. I think there might be an alternative route from the south, but I've never been that way to this particular little slice of heaven.

As DK mentioned, you're almost always better off with 4x4. It just opens up the options. Truth be told, 90% of the time I'm in 2 wheel drive, and most places can be accessed that way with careful tire placement and regulating tire pressure. But it sure is nice to have that ability to switch into 4x4 when you need it to get to those special spots, or to get out of a spot you maybe shouldn't have gotten into.

Long story short, you'll never know if you don't go. (Although I'd suggest maybe going with another vehicle that has 4x4 just to be on the safe side.) Pick a road and drive to the end. Adventure awaits.

JBL Noel
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 10:38 AM

To restate some of the above. All my stuff used in Baja - car, truck, and 4x4 all have the following:
Air for the tires, either CO2 or electric compressor.
Tire Plug kit with extra and fresh plugs.
An aerosol can of crap to put into a tire to plug small cactus leaks.
Lion battery jump start kit.
Be prepared
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Even if every landmark and mileage was shown... the place will still be deserted or crowd free BECAUSE of the ROAD.

It is paved and graded roads you have to fear, not photos or road logs. Bad roads bring Good People, as Mama Espinoza was quoted saying... Good roads bring ALL kinds of people!

Mama who? Was she a surfer?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.