Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja ice chest (pt. 3)
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-18-2014 at 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
I'm willing to bet a cooler of my choice that if you were to cut one open it would be more than just "plastic walls". there has to be some type of insulating gel or space-aged fibers. we're not talking styro-foam!!! this is the new millennium.....

Sure Woody, if you buy the chest we cut apart:lol::P:lol::P

I received my new chest today. It is much deeper then my other chests. It is about the same length and width but DEEEP. The walls are much thicker too. I don't think I will putting any dry ice into it with that seal and the locks. :spingrin:

Hook. I too prefer a 95-100 Qt cooler. I still can handle by myself and they store enough to liven on. All the drinks go into a 50 qt that has proven the test of time. I am headed south for more then 7-8 days the chest with ice and dry ice always goes, I do like a bit of ice in my after dinner c-cktail.:light:

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 6-18-2014 at 07:44 PM
Size-wise...

65Q works for my current travels. I'm usually travelling solo, well- with the poodle. and she does like her canned food slightly chilled. ;)

The only meat I eat is local seafood at the restaurants. Since I don't catch them myself, no raw meat is stored in the cooler. Leftovers are often wrapped and stored, to eat on the road between stops, and they have kept well so far. (Tonight I'm eating in la Paz and may have food to store After dinner. )

Otherwise it's mostly full of ice and drinks and poodle food (very small cans) until I head out to camp, then I get perishables at local markets. And today: a whole, fresh coconut, courtesy of Stephen at Cocos Cabaņas in Loreto!

I dropped by en route to La Paz as he was meeting with his palm tree trimmer. One thing lead to another, and I became the recipient of a coconut, freshly cut and trimmed with a machete, all ready to have a Straw inserted for sipping!

Right place, right time!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-18-2014 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I don't chill my drinks when off the grid, I just drink them at 'ambient' temperature. Actually, I'm into drinking copious amounts of water.

I agree about the canned food. It gets old very fast, and I don't think they're very good for you anyway. All those Denti-Moores, spaghettios, and canned tamales - I don't know how I ate that stuff. Finally saw the light. Now it's asparagus, goat cheese, heirloom tomatoes, and nuts. Together with seared fresh fish, it's not bad.

Water is about the ONLY liquid that is good at ambient temps.

I can see how a 65qt ice chest can work for you, given that. Fresh fruits, veges and cheese just doesn't need to be kept that cold.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-18-2014 at 08:40 PM

Single, on the road, and with a poodle.

That may be a first on Nomads. :spingrin:

[Edited on 6-19-2014 by Hook]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2014 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Water is about the ONLY liquid that is good at ambient temps.

I can see how a 65qt ice chest can work for you, given that. Fresh fruits, veges and cheese just doesn't need to be kept that cold.

It's not a 65qt cooler, it's 75qt. I really don't know how cool it is in there but it's not so cold that vapor comes out when I open it. It's definitely above freezing.

Due to the cooling most of the veggies I buy in the states can still be eaten 10 days later. Uncooled the tomatoes and bananas would be done in one day. Even potatoes quickly end up with expanding black areas inside if not cooled. Spinach and lettuce goes in maybe 2-3 days. Cantaloupe can last up to 5 days. What's left - onions and walnuts? If you go to say San Francisquito for 2 weeks you won't be eating fruits and vegetables for very long without a cooler. More likely than not you'll end up at the resort being served deep fried fish, refried beans, and rice.
MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 01:44 PM

Looks like 65 to me.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_coolers.php?Case=65QT

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 01:55 PM

Yes it does. I was referring to mine:

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 01:56 PM

Say, does it move around any ... when loaded .. What a dry weight :):)

MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 04:31 PM

Sorry, I was thinking Whale-ista.
They are heavy compared to my Igloo marine. We never had a issue with ice chest moving while under way.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Yes it does. I was referring to mine:

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 07:25 PM

Baja Travels w/Pelican cooler- June 12-? 2014
I'm now at CasaBuena hotel in La Paz.

Current plan is to depart Friday for Cabo Pulmo with stops along the way to visit friends along the coast. Then I'll know more about road conditions approaching Cabo Pulmo, as echo7tango mentioned.

As for Pelican ice chest performance: The daytime temps in truck shell have been close to 100 since Monday, and by today inside temp of cooler was at 50. While most of the frozen bottles with lemonade/drinking water had melted by today (were frozen Monday, and I'm refreezing them tonight before heading south tomorrow) there is about 1/4 of the 20 lbs of ice cubes from 10 days ago.

So I guess the "7-10 days" claim Pelican makes is accurate, but I did add additional frozen items Monday to prolong their time.

Still... this is pretty extreme heat, and Pelican insulation is remarkable under these very hot conditions.

Hope this is helpful if you are considering a trip to Baja Sur, and/or a Pelican ice chest.

Also, CasaBuena is a great spot for budget travellers w/lots of toys: big enclosed courtyard for parking large trucks with trailers and toys, beautiful grounds, pool, safe for gear. Owned/operated by former sailors, Martin and Sue-Sue, and their 2 kids. Very safe & pet friendly- they have 2 cats, 2 mellow golden labs (I have the poodle, and a couple from Loreto just arrived w/5 small dogs they rescued).

Lovely shared lounge/full kitchen for use if you stay a while and don't want to go out to eat.

Highly recommend them for a place to stay and recharge while visiting La Paz.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.