Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CasaBuena B&B in La Paz
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 07:33 PM
CasaBuena B&B in La Paz

CasaBuena is a great spot for budget travellers w/lots of toys: big enclosed courtyard for parking large trucks with trailers and toys, beautiful grounds, pool, safe for gear. Owned/operated by former sailors, Milton and SuSu, and their 2 kids.

Very safe & pet friendly- they have 2 cats, 2 mellow golden labs (I have the poodle, and a couple from Loreto just arrived w/5 small dogs they rescued).

Lovely shared lounge/rec room w/books, TV etc., and full kitchen for use if you stay a while and don't want to go out to eat every meal.

Private rooms/bath if you want to keep to yourself. Some have own full kitchens also.
Prices start at $45/night for single room.
Highly recommend them for a place to stay and recharge while visiting La Paz.

A bit of a hike to malecon- I took taxi to/from dinner last night (it was late, I was tired). and it cost $50 pesos each way. But after hours of driving in heat from Loreto, and to avoid ambiguous 4-way (don't) stop intersections, I was happy to pay for a ride and enjoy my dinner/beer before returning home.

Great for families, pets, large trucks. Offers relaxing pool, secure courtyard... and very nice landscape/gardens on property!

Information: http://casabuena.net

[Edited on 6-20-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 07:47 PM

The correct name: Milton and SuSu Sanders.

And they are not a hotel.
They are a Bed and Breakfast.
Very different meanings for Mexico Taxes.

[Edited on 6-20-2014 by Mula]
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 08:05 PM

Thank you. I edited w/corrections.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
The correct name: Milton and SuSu Sanders.

And they are not a hotel.
They are a Bed and Breakfast.
Very different meanings for Mexico Taxes.

[Edited on 6-20-2014 by Mula]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 08:12 PM

The original still says Martin.

Milton is very specific about his name.
He is not Milt or anything else.
He is Milton.

The kids are Michelle and Arturo.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 08:54 PM

I have heard about this couple! Their kids are adopted, correct? I think I was told this info because I also have an adopted son. Someone said that they are the most generous people they had ever met. How did you hear about casabuena?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 09:11 PM

They are such a beautiful family and super-great hosts.
Without any fuss you're made to feel right at home.

I first went there years ago and stayed a weekend to visit a friend recuperating from surgery.
Three years later I returned and they remembered me. How cool is that?

<3 me some Casa Buena! It's just a special place.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 10:09 PM

Casa Buena is a great place if you want a walled in gringo compound with english speaking gringos who are away from the city center and play dominos, chat about life in the USA, this is a great place. Milton is a great guy. Many gringos love it there. If you want to visit la paz, learn spanish, engage in culture, participate in local events it might not be the place.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:15 AM

Respectfully, I'd put it a little differently.

If you want a place to relax, away from the more "touristic" areas of La Paz, and/or have dogs and children, and/or haven't learned enough Spanish to be comfortable (yet) travelling independently in Baja, this could be a good choice.

As a currently solo traveller who has lived/travelled in Baja and speaks enough Spanish to get by, I still like quiet places like this one between other activities on longer (more than 1 week) trips. Hotels get old. This place feels more like staying with friends in a large, spacious home with lots of guest rooms. They even provide freshly baked muffins and brewed coffee in the morning- nice, homey touch.

But agree: If you are here for only a weekend, want a place closer to the malecon, the fishing, the water, bars, and other activities, a more traditional hotel may be a better choice.

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Casa Buena is a great place if you want a walled in gringo compound with english speaking gringos who are away from the city center and play dominos, chat about life in the USA, this is a great place. Milton is a great guy. Many gringos love it there. If you want to visit la paz, learn spanish, engage in culture, participate in local events it might not be the place.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:17 AM

A bit more info about CasaBuena, Susu and Milton:

This morning I discovered there is even more to this place: there is a church on site.
And last night a group of musicians arrived to practice before their Sunday church services. (They could not be heard outside- the church walls are very solid.)

Also, groups from churches in the US travel here for visits and to do charitable work to help people in need, who are living in the colonias outside of "touristic" La Paz. SuSu collects clothing and other items to donate to them.

On a similar note: one of the current guests teaches social work at a university in Virginia, and has been here doing "social welfare" observations while on sabbatical. Her husband (also a teacher) joined her this week. This is their second visit, and they are bothˆnterested in learning more Spanish and spending more tiime here. In fact, they are considering becoming 1/2 year residents: 6 months near a daughter in Oregon, 6 months in Baja, after they retire from teaching.

(Having lived for 1 year "on mission" while in college, doing similar work for communities in need while staying in a house sponsored by campus ministries, I'm beginning to understand why I feel so comfortable here... but it may not be for everyone.)

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:22 AM

church = cult

just kidding
susaninlapaz
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:27 AM

What a great, detailed, and totally accurate review! You embarrass me, because I have been promising to write a review of Casa Buena ever since I joined BajaNomads. THANKS for sparing me the chore! (by the way, folks, it;s 6 1/2 blocks to the beach, and 4 1/2 blocks to a big supermarket, chedraui, and another 3 blocks after than to the cinemas and the other huge store, mega)

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
CasaBuena is a great spot for budget travellers w/lots of toys: big enclosed courtyard for parking large trucks with trailers and toys, beautiful grounds, pool, safe for gear. Owned/operated by former sailors, Milton and SuSu, and their 2 kids.

Very safe & pet friendly- they have 2 cats, 2 mellow golden labs (I have the poodle, and a couple from Loreto just arrived w/5 small dogs they rescued).

Lovely shared lounge/rec room w/books, TV etc., and full kitchen for use if you stay a while and don't want to go out to eat every meal.

Private rooms/bath if you want to keep to yourself. Some have own full kitchens also.
Prices start at $45/night for single room.
Highly recommend them for a place to stay and recharge while visiting La Paz.

A bit of a hike to malecon- I took taxi to/from dinner last night (it was late, I was tired). and it cost $50 pesos each way. But after hours of driving in heat from Loreto, and to avoid ambiguous 4-way (don't) stop intersections, I was happy to pay for a ride and enjoy my dinner/beer before returning home.

Great for families, pets, large trucks. Offers relaxing pool, secure courtyard... and very nice landscape/gardens on property!

Information: http://casabuena.net

susaninlapaz
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:37 AM

Quote:

what a very odd perspective. so is it your opinion that the other places English-speakers tend to stay in La Paz are LESS "gringo"? and i am sure, given your stance, that you would NEVER go to the most wellknown gringo hangout in town, the (in)famous Tailhunters.

at any rate, just like any other place, people make their own experiences at casa buena. i almost never speak english when i am there. maybe that's because i talk to locals, not to tourists?
susaninlapaz
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
The original still says Martin.

Milton is very specific about his name.
He is not Milt or anything else.
He is Milton.

The kids are Michelle and Arturo.

jajajajajajaja! he is also very specific about ARTHUR's name! altho i call the fellow Arturo Enrique cuz I happen to like his name better in Spanish...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 12:20 AM

Quote:
It would be cool if the place was pro local culture, encouraging local language, culture, cuisine, dance, and broad spiritual pursuit and discussion.

You might have better luck finding all that at holiday inn. The one next to I-5 just south of Stockton, très spiritual.
;D

P.s. You forgot another couple criteria for hotel, like dog friendly? And does it have a good cantina to get a buzz on?
:lol:

:P:P
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 06:31 AM

Perhaps, the theologians could pivot this thread and posit a comparative analysis of the Mathisen Corollary, to begin a lengthy discussion about literal interpretations of the bible? And may I suggest a weekly, Christian chat, hosted on Bajanomad, perhaps within new topic area, Baja Christian Theology Meetup Groups and Hostels? We could also have a Christian Book Club topic area, for example, Summer 2014 C. S Lewis book series, the book Mere Christianity is a great place to start? Other suggestions?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 06:43 AM

Who would like to participate in an astrophysical Christian interperative discussion, or discuss quantum physics in the bible and our world as a holographic metaphor?
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 06:46 PM

We stayed at Casa Buena before and found the place filled with a large women's group from Mexico participating in charitable work in the area. They held a meeting in the common room daily and sang songs of praise that was amazingly beautiful.
I loved napping in our upper room in the afternoon with the palm tree tops at window level and the sounds of the bells ringing from two local churches.
On Saturday and Sundays we were serenaded by the people singing during mass services at the nearby churches.
There you go gnukid, would rather sit in peace and listen to people praising with their voices lifted to the God I love then participate in one of your discussions.
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2014 at 08:20 AM

Casa Buena is our "go to" place when we need to do an overnight in La Paz. We love it there. And as they say right out front on their website, they are kid friendly and dog friendly, so if you are uncomfortable with that, it's probably not the place for you. I suppose the majority of their guests are gringo, but we have been there at the same time as Mexican families also staying there.

I can't say it better than whale-ista. "It's a quiet place where you feel like you are in a spacious home with lots of guest rooms." Since we live in BCS full time, the fact that it is away from the noise of the malecon is a huge plus! Yes, if you are a tourist here for a short time, you may want a different location.

SuSu and Milton are wonderful people and gracious hosts.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 6-22-2014 at 08:50 AM

I'd like to kick in a recommend for Milton and SuSu.

Two of us pulled in on motos March 1st for a 2 day stay and we were totally and pleasantly surprised at the quality of those folks. It's an interesting setup and they had some construction on the street but it's a great location and they are wonderful humans. I highly recommend them and expect to stay there in the future whenever I can....

IMG_0235 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr
There was some "interesting" plumbing in the shower but the water sprayed out where it's supposed to spray.....:yes:

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.