Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Shell Island June 6-12 2014
hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 12:21 AM
Shell Island June 6-12 2014

Arrived at mid day to find some crowds and vehicles at the beach. Was thinking the secret must be out about Shell Island. Had a cold beer while airing down the tires (18 psi) for driving on sand. Headed up north to our spot and got stuck after 300 yds. Decided to have another beer and try to dig myself out. No luck! Decided to recheck the tire pressure and it was at 24 psi (Yes I know David K.., air it down) lowered it back down to 17 psi and with pull from my buddy’s rig we made it to our campsite. On departure lowered tire pressure to 15 psi, no issues what so ever.

The weather was perfect, low 70’s nights but damp, days were mid 90’s -101 F. The water temp was around 80 F. Forfeited good part of a day to heavy wind god's, we used the trucks as wind break. Also lowered our ezup’s and was a heavier beer drinking day. I think my back is still sore from it. Kids read books, drew pictures and listened to Little House on the Prairie audio book. We ate like pigs, drank like a fish, got ample amount of vitamin D, played on the beach, swam in the warm water, lots of shelling, caught variety of fishes (catch and release), Hung out by the bonfire and moonlight. Good times and looking forward to next year’s trip

Trying to make our ice last for 7 days is the most challenging task but it’s doable. Each of us use two 150 qt. coolers (igloo coolers from Costco), ones for food and the other for drinks. We make blocks of ice using our freezers and line that at the bottom of the coolers, then fill pockets with cubed ice. We do keep the coolers covered with several layers of moving blankets. The coolers never see the sunlight. Also bring one 120 qt. cooler filled with blocks of ice and use that to replenish coolers.

Here are some pictures of our trip.

I can hear David K...don't dig! let the air out! man I hate going below 18 psi with full load.

small trigger fish

Never caught a salt water catfish before

After three days replenishing our coolers.

Anyone know what type of fish this is?

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 04:39 AM

Looks like a fun time!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 05:46 AM

Put dry ice in the ice back up chest. 7 days easy. Dry ice will lower the temp of the ice way below 0.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 06:21 AM

The 'anyone know what kind of fish this is?" pic, looks like a Mojarra to me. Locals in our area just gut 'em, leave head on, de-scale, flour and fry 'em whole and crispy. Kind of boney, but worth the effort; good meat.

WONDERFUL pics, really puts out the love of the excursion (love the Golden w/ the shell-hat... they are soooo patient!). Ah, La Vida Buena / Loca !!

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

baja43
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 06:45 AM

We camped there a bunch back in the early 70s...looks like the fun times never stop. The kids will remember these trips for a long time. Well done!
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 06:58 AM

Sweet! Nice photo essay! Looks like another awesome Baja family vacation.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 07:06 AM

Thanks for the great report and beautiful pics!
Can`t believe all the people, dogs, and gear that fit in two rigs!! I`d guess you guys have done this before!!
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 08:14 AM

Fantastic !
Thanks for the lift :bounce:
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 08:30 AM

Fabulous! Thanks for taking me there!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 08:42 AM

PERFECT! You gave us a look at what Shell Island gives us... peace, beauty, fun, sand and shells!

Those are two HEAVY trucks and I don't blame you for being concerned about dropping down to 15 psi with that much weight on them! But, it worked!

Thank you for sharing the photos!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The same story for getting Art and his 4WD motorhome/van unstuck when he first drove it onto the island, except he arrived at high tide so there was no wet sand to go to to drive easier on!

July 4th weekend, 2010:

Ken Cooke was there too, and here he helps clear sand from the front of the tires (this is key to getting out, because sand built up in front acts like tire blocks, once you have dug down into it).

Once Art (edm1 on Nomad) dropped more air out of the tires, and trusted me to turn his tires downhill (towards the water!)... he was out, and so happy to achieve 'flotation'!

If you vehicle is stopped by deep sand, do not spin the tires, just let out more air! If you did spin the tires, then you dropped down deeper so removing sand from the tires and if needed, the differentials, is advised.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 09:27 AM

MMC,

Thanks for the dry ice idea, I am usually too cheap to buy that over priced dry ice. I may try that next year and give you guys a feedback.
hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 09:45 AM

bajabuddha,

Thanks for the fish ID, never heard of them but very cool looking fish. We do catch and release and only keep ones that don't look good and eat them fresh (ceviche).

Do you know if bone fish are in this area? We caught several of them (good fighters) thought they were bone fish but wasn't sure. No pictures.
hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 10:32 AM

David K,

Wow Art’s van is a behemoth! I think our group will stick to tent camping. But there is a fine line when driving on sand versus digging. Driving my Dodge Cummins I can tell by engine RPM, meaning if engine RPM goes above 2K indication of digging/slipping in sand, need to deflate. On this trip I found that out pretty quickly, I think mostly due to too much weight (crap).
DocRey
Nomad

Mood: Cautiously Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 10:39 AM

Very cool. Thx. Just got one of those hammocks for Pop's Day.:bounce:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hayb
bajabuddha,

Thanks for the fish ID, never heard of them but very cool looking fish. We do catch and release and only keep ones that don't look good and eat them fresh (ceviche).

Do you know if bone fish are in this area? We caught several of them (good fighters) thought they were bone fish but wasn't sure. No pictures.

Errrm, i'm not too proud to say I don't even know where the hell 'Shell Island' is !! The nice thing about the ocean is, almost everything is edible. Now, my totally favorite fish for eating is Trigger. I've learned a few tricks about filleting and preparing in many different ways (all-time best is Cajun blackened) but it's good from plain-boiled to ceviche. Just don't get your fingers in the way!

Get a couple of books on Baja fish, and keep a small notebook in your tackle, and journal your catch. I'm over 40 species just in one location, and haven't used anything but iron for the last 3 years. I'd say I've caught at least another dozen or so species not in the books; and like they say, fish can't read anyway. So, GO RIP SOME LIPS !!

"the time a person spends fishing should not be deducted from their life".

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 12:21 PM

that looks like so much fun,, thanks for sharing
hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Quote:
bajabuddha,

Errrm, i'm not too proud to say I don't even know where the hell 'Shell Island' is !! The nice thing about the ocean is, almost everything is edible. Now, my totally favorite fish for eating is Trigger. I've learned a few tricks about filleting and preparing in many different ways (all-time best is Cajun blackened) but it's good from plain-boiled to ceviche. Just don't get your fingers in the way!

Get a couple of books on Baja fish, and keep a small notebook in your tackle, and journal your catch. I'm over 40 species just in one location, and haven't used anything but iron for the last 3 years. I'd say I've caught at least another dozen or so species not in the books; and like they say, fish can't read anyway. So, GO RIP SOME LIPS !!

"the time a person spends fishing should not be deducted from their life".

It's located in upper sea of cortez, about 20 miles south of san felipe
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 01:38 PM

Just off the bottom edge of the above map is where it is, about 20 miles south of San Felipe.

Here is more:

It is a barrier island that is totally separated from Baja during the highest tides of the year... as this Nat Geo map shows:

Also, this pilots map shows:

Here is a map I made when I was 20, after the first time I drove onto the island:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 06:05 PM

Hayb, Ice in my wife's after dinner c-cktail has always been the goal. Being married to the best person I have ever met is my inspiration.

We have good ice* for as many as 10 days in the summer and 21 days in the winter. A separate ice chest for your long term ice with dry ice berried and covered is amazing thing. Cover with a moving pad, sleeping bag, something thick, put a wet towel over it when it's hottest. You'll sipping that late night toddy with a sweating glass for 10 days easy, or how about ice cream for dessert on day 7? Kids will love it.
* good ice + a glass that is sweating and will give you brain freeze if consumed to fast.
For long term remote camping it is a must...

Quote:
MMC,

Thanks for the dry ice idea, I am usually too cheap to buy that over priced dry ice. I may try that next year and give you guys a feedback.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 07:49 PM

Very nice trip report and great photos!
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.