BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: No Pain Medication in Mexico.....
mmacdonald1026

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 08:50 AM
No Pain Medication in Mexico.....

It is unbelievable how difficult it is to get a prescription for a controlled substance in Tijuana/Rosarito. The laws here have changed recently and are way more stringent than in the US. And the cost of what the regular physicians can legally prescribe is off the charts. The doctors do not know how to prescribe medication either. So I paid the $30US in cash to see the doctor that is available even til 8pm on the weekends, showed him my US script that i needed refilled. For the second time and with a differnt doctor the same result occured. He will write you the prescription that he has to look up online how to spell. He has no clue what the dosages are and how many pills are in a bottle so expect to return back to the doctor with your prescription to have it modified once the pharmacist informs you how the script should be written. There are only two actual pharmacies in Rosarito called Roma and Gusher. Finally the prescription is corrected and being filled, which only takes a couple of minutes because there is not pilll counting just bottle distribution). At the register, be prepared to spend upwards of $75 for the same thing that costs $30 in the US and chances are you are also paying for a much lower dosage. There is a different name for every prescription medication in Mexico also that you must become aware of by doing your own online research or the doctor will look at you dumbfounded if you say something like suboxone, zanax, percodan, fentanyl. As a matter of fact, with a regular doctors prescription for such pain medications (controlled substances), which you will pay the $30US for him to write will not even fly at any type of pharmacy in Tijuana or Rosarito. You should call ahead to the pharmacies to find out if they have what you need in stock and what kind of doctor you need a prescription written from to get what you are prescribed in the US. Apparently you need to have a prescription from an anestheasiologist (sic) to get a pain killer including but not limited to vicodin. It makes no sense to me. And how is one supposed to do this? Get plastic surgery to get a prescription?? That is where my efforts stopped. I just moved to Rosarito thinking i would be paying less for everything, especially my medication, but what I have come to realize is that the only thing that I am saving money on is my rent, which is significant enough to stay. But my disability check cannot support me so now I understand why so many people have said that a retired couple can survive off of $2000 US a month. That does not mean a single person can survive on $1000 per month unless your rent is less than $350US per month perhaps. And that is possible to find, even on the beach. Dont do what I did and cancel your Medicare to get medical help in TJ/Rosarito unless all you ever get is a common cold. My misconception of moving to Mexico has resulted in my getting quite ill to no avail with a doctor's help, even at an expat clinic called Bonanova. Just want to let you know what you are getting yourself into if you require pain medication to feel well. The doctor's note from the US will do no good if you are trying to save money by buying bulk amounts of controlled substances for pain in Mexico. The most a regular doctor is legally allowed to prescribe for pain is Temgesic (Mexican name for Suboxone without Naloxone .02 of Bupenorphine in each sublingual pill, which is very expensive at $40US for 10 pills. You could need about a whole box for one day if you are accustomed to an 8mg Suboxone pill. Furthermore, only two boxes can be prescribed at a time with 10 pills in each. So if this is what you take in the US make sure you have a lot of money with you tell the doctor to write the prescription correctly so you can get more sooner than he may think. Or you can buy Tramadol 100mg for $77US for 100 pills, which is a non narcotic pain killer that has left me nauseated and feeling lowsy too. I realize that doctors deal with other issues aside from pain, but both you and they are helpless if you are hurting.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 09:07 AM

Yes,Mexico has changed the way folks can get certain types of medications because of abuse and using ingredients for illegal drugs...

Yes, Many folks assume it is cheaper to live in Mexico which is true for certain items but with a 4% yearly inflation rate many things go up every month like Pemex......suerte

I hear the whales song
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 09:12 AM

Mexico is no longer cheap, for sure...I have my prescriptions filled at Walmart in the US, shipped by them to someone who is coming down. I have a sympathetic Doc. in the USA so I am able to get 1 or 2 years at a time...Lets not EVEN talk fuel costs....

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 09:15 AM
Location, Location

My son in-law drove down last Fri. from SD and went directly to Dr. in Maneadero that he has been going to. $20US to write Rx for 30 day supply (60 pills) of Vicodin . He dropped the Rx at the pharmacy next door that had to order it. Picked the 60 pills up the next day for a total cost of $60 US.

Bob Durrell
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 09:25 AM

Or you can buy Tramadol 100mg for $77US for 100 pills.

I've bought Tramadol, 100 pills, 100 mg, for about $35 in both Mulege and TJ.

I've also bought anti-hypertension meds in Mex. MUCH cheaper.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 09:35 AM

mmacdonald1026

Did you do any research on living expenses or cost comparisons before you moved here???

Don't know why you, or who, suggested that you cancel Medicare. San Diego is only 20 miles away.

Yours is an unfortunate example of why people should visit, research or spend some time in the area of Baja they are interested in BEFORE before they make the move

Good luck with the resolution to your problems

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 09:44 AM

Cancel Medicare?? Huh? Real question. Is that possible?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 09:52 AM

Go see Dr. Raymundo Esquer in Maneadero, southern Ensenada, for all your narcotic pain medication needs. He has a controlled substance license and many Americans see him on a regular basis for pain control. Please start posting your healthcare questions in the Baja Health and Wellness category on this board thanks. By the way, the narcotics or controlled substances are much more expensive in Mexico.

[Edited on 6-25-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 09:53 AM

I get my meds through the VA, and it's like pulling teeth to get advance scrip's through them, especially 'non-formulary', which means 'expensive, we won't buy them for you'. And narcotic pain scrip's? ONLY 30 days-worth at a time, no exceptions, period. So, I have to be a little inventive to get enough for the winter, or buy in Mexico (other than pain meds). Some meds are less expensive, others aren't, and some non-existent.

Key word is, "inventive". Good luck.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 09:55 AM

More than unfortunate, I am sure it is devastating to not get the meds you need. Sorry for your pain. I hope you find the help you need.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 10:08 AM

I get the scrip from the VA, route them through my Doctor, fill em at Walmart..most items are like 6 bucks for 6 months....

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I get the scrip from the VA, route them through my Doctor, fill em at Walmart..most items are like 6 bucks for 6 months....

Same here, Chuck. Just that I have to deal with our 'VA Liaison' at the local clinic; my Doc is fine with all of it, and very helpful... but I have to start the whole process at least 3 weeks in advance, and feel like a circus dog by the time i'm done, and inevitably something won't be correct no matter how many times I explain what I need and how much, etc. So, I end up at Diego's in Mulege, and he's great. Been able to manage so far, but each year it's a new scrip' and mo' BS/VA. That's what Corralejo is for though.
:lol:

86 - 45*

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 10:35 AM

With all the bad press about the VA, I am sure there will be a few changes but I think it will just fade away with time and be the same there. Just like the other government operations. Goliaths with no brain and a place that does not care about it's employees or customers. ie, post office, dmv and on and on and on.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 12:51 PM

Hope Vets living with pain are trying cannabis. Colorado has a program for Vets and the cannabis is free. Maybe California will follow suit.

http://www.grow4vets.org

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 01:31 PM

Yeah, I know... they legalized it here in New Mexico for PTSD too, and just in time for me to get Asbestos disease... talked to a lung doc last week, and said, not a good idea. DAMNIT.

86 - 45*

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 02:16 PM

"30 days-worth at a time" ... that one does create problems ... three months supply would make it a lot easier IMHO ... screw the FDA/VA/and a few more

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Yeah, I know... they legalized it here in New Mexico for PTSD too, and just in time for me to get Asbestos disease... talked to a lung doc last week, and said, not a good idea. DAMNIT.

Smoking anything including pot is NOT good for anyones lungs, that's a well proven fact. But, there are other approaches which might include the vaporizer systems, some of which add humidity and don't have the harsh effects on your lungs. The other option is edibles which is an approach that might still work for you. You'll need to experiment with dosing that works for your symptoms but doesn't give you too many side effects. Don't ever give up on taking care of yourself and your conditions.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
"30 days-worth at a time" ... that one does create problems ... three months supply would make it a lot easier IMHO ... screw the FDA/VA/and a few more

My VA primary MD routinely writes my prescriptions for 90 day fills and I have a standing refill order for the year period in between clinic visits which I refill on the VA website. The meds are mailed to my home address in California. I have been very well served by my primary MD and the staff at the clinic in San Luis Obispo. The problems at VA are real and vets are suffering because while the patient base has been expanded the system funding has not been. The same congressjerks who filibustered the VA funding bill earlier this year now are holding hearings to find out who is at fault. They need only look in the mirror.

Are you a VA patient?
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 03:42 PM

Sweetwater, I have the bestest Alice B. Toklas brownie recipe from the '60s that still works magic, and one of Tommy Chong's Bongs would be a help. Oh, what's a boy to do!!

And Kurt, the VA only gives out 30 days at a time for narcotic pain killers, or Xanax... any schedule (whatever-it-is) drug. And, I just received a letter today (form letter) from my Dear Congressman telling me how wrong the POTUS and his VA guy was, and how CONGRESS is gonna fix it. YEAH, RIGHT. The opposite of PROGRESS is CONGRESS. They hold our Country literally hostage for six years, and now want to sue the POTUS~!!!! It's all nucking futz. I need to go fishin'. After I have a martini and a brownie.
:coolup:

86 - 45*

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 03:46 PM

"opposite of PROGRESS is CONGRESS"

Thanks a keeper :lol::lol:

and ya I was talking about Formula/Schedule one ... a nightmare I hear from my doctor on keeping "paper work" on file ... a drag on business to satisfy "Federal and/or State" requirements, on same

Gee, and I remember when getting drugs was easy ... :lol::lol:

punish all for a few ... gosh, just like basic

Had a mail service which as able to take care of it ... but, I wasn't down south ... km 44.5

[Edited on 6-25-2014 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 6-25-2014 by wessongroup]

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.