BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: License Plates required?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 10:24 PM

Ah, DT..... so true! I went online and ordered a 'personalized' phony NM plate that sez, BAJABUDDHA and put it on the front of my truck; gets a great rise out of the Mexicano border guys and the military too. I alwaystell 'em, ''RASCA EL BUDDHA POR SUERTE!", and is sure to get a chuckle or two. The U.S. Border Dudes always go around the back of the truck and see my permanent Disabled Veteran plate, and send me to secondary anyway, because I always have my trailer in tow; now policy at all crossings.

BTW, i'd like to hear if anyone gets waived through while ''in tow'' now. I was told by one of America's Finest it's now policy. But, just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't WATCHING..... LIKE TROLLS... UNDER THE BRIDGE.....AND WAITING....
......waiting............
:o :lol: :P

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 11:17 PM

If anyone says plates are required, reply no they are no longer required for new cars that have no mounting position. No mount, no plate. Makes sense. In mexico no front plate means respect! VIP!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
If anyone says plates are required, reply no they are no longer required for new cars that have no mounting position. No mount, no plate. Makes sense. In mexico no front plate means respect! VIP!

No front plate = VIP in MX -- if you're Mexicano. If you're gringo, you'll be pulled over.

''No front plate means respect?'' Another stereotype. On the other hand, only a Mexicano could think that. Maybe some gringoes too.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
... The U.S. Border Dudes always go around the back of the truck and see my permanent Disabled Veteran plate, and send me to secondary anyway, because I always have my trailer in tow; now policy at all crossings.

BTW, i'd like to hear if anyone gets waived through while ''in tow'' now. I was told by one of America's Finest it's now policy.

Towing what? I crossed NB in May towing an enclosed utility trailer and got a "have a nice day" with no secondary. The agent did walk to the back and recorded the plate number on the trailer, didn't even ask what was in it.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 08:20 AM

When I see the sensors that read license plates such as at the border I often think I would like to have the changeable plate device that 007 had on his Austin Martin in "Goldfinger". Just to fly under the radar a little.

By the way, the CHP has had (at least one) plate reader for at least 10 years in location near Indio.

[Edited on 6-26-2014 by bajalearner]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbend
Towing what? I crossed NB in May towing an enclosed utility trailer and got a "have a nice day" with no secondary. The agent did walk to the back and recorded the plate number on the trailer, didn't even ask what was in it.

Towing anything. Because you were waved through means nothing. Maybe secondary was busy. When you handed your paperwork to the officer, you were being profiled. When the officer walked back to the trailer, he was checking you out.

You got a pass and was probably an exception. RV's, trailers, etc., are going to secondary. Unless secondary is busy. (More than an hour wait.)
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbend

By trailer, I meant travel trailer/ 5th wheel/ tourista rig w/ fridge. And I have no idea what NB is. North border? Nebraska? Anyway, the secondary gig is just for agricultural inspection.... that illegal contraband lime you may have forgotten.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 10:25 AM

NB means northbound.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 10:34 AM

I cross northbound a lot, always at Tecate and usually pulling a trailer. Sometimes I get sent and sometimes not. One time the officer told me that the trailer, not the vehicle license number had been flagged. The trailer was an empty flat bed, with my enclosed trailer they will sometimes look inside and send me on my way, other times I go to secondary.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 11:25 AM

....and SOB......means......south of border ???? :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 11:46 AM

Here in Orange County, some of the yuppies, consumed
with their appearance, leave the paper plates on, with the
dealer name, on their new BMW's long after their DMV plates
arrive, trying desperately to keep that new car look,
way cool
1bobo
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 05:29 PM

7 years driving my pickup in Ca. without a front plate, including 7 round trips to BCS, and I've never been hassled by anyone except the U.S. border buddy who was annoyed he had to exit his cubby and walk around the back. They like to have all of your vital stats on the screen when you pull up.

And believe me, they have access to everything about you.

So after 2012 I started putting it back on just before crossing.

(It was stolen twice- that's why I remove it)
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Here in Orange County, some of the yuppies, consumed
with their appearance, leave the paper plates on, with the
dealer name, on their new BMW's long after their DMV plates
arrive, trying desperately to keep that new car look,
way cool

Yes, and the closer to the coast you get, the more likely it is they'll do it, too... whereas I took off the paper plates and that stupid residue-leaving sticker as soon as I could (so I could apply to SENTRI-fy my new vee-hickle).
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
If it is a CA licensed vehicle it is illegal to not have the front plate attached.

Right. I was tagged for no front license on a '69 Porsche back then and had to deface the front of the car with a plate.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 12:12 AM

Why not fly, it's easier! I wouldn't chance doing anything that would cause Mexican immigration to seize your vehicle for non-compliance. I believe there is a dorky regulation in the Mexican aduana handbook. Besides you might get a ticket from CHP by not following California laws on requirements for 2 license plates. Case solved: Just get a front license plate that says, "No, I am not a dork" and your problems will be solved.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Why not fly, it's easier! ...

Doc,
Great suggestion !!! Especially for those with kids, dogs, surfboards, quads, building supplies, motorcycles, boats/watercraft, etc. :lol::lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
If it is a CA licensed vehicle it is illegal to not have the front plate attached.

The fact of the matter is that 1 out of every 10 vehicles in So California does not have a front license plate. Exact same situation in La Paz.

Try doing a count on your own; you will get the same average result.

Quote:
bajalearner
Every little law adds up to a life of less freedom for me and robocops, cameras out to punish us. What's the next thing? Drones??? Yes I am sure of that.

I am sure of that, too. We the People must push back, or it will happen.

I hate those cameras at intersections. They were first installed for the lone and specific reason of catching those that run a red light at high speed. Instead, the municipalities abused this resource and were giving out way more (multitudes more) tickets for "California" right turns (i.e. slowing down to about 4 MPH and not completely stopping while making a right turn at a red light). Generally speaking, that is a safe thing to do, but, technically against the law as a MOVING violation...very expensive (too harsh and inordinately expensive for this specific infraction) but was a money maker for the cities.

I have seen those cameras at locations where there is an extremely low probability of high speed crossings and low traffic areas; even at traffic lights that are at heavily trafficked entrances to shopping centers. Orange County California is "lousy" with them, they are everywhere.

Abundantly obvious to me that it is all about the money and not about traffic safety. So much for the profit motive in government.

[Edited on 7-20-2014 by MitchMan]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 10:51 AM

Actually he flies into Ensenada all the time I am surprised he is driving, probably to replace his Hummer with a Jag!!
Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Why not fly, it's easier! ...

Doc,
Great suggestion !!! Especially for those with kids, dogs, surfboards, quads, building supplies, motorcycles, boats/watercraft, etc. :lol::lol:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 11:38 AM

After an encounter with the La Paz police last visit, we had the front plate put on the front bumper .... And we have Mexican plates, so it was not a gringo issue.

There are cops everywhere along the malecon, it sure seems you betta have your seatbelt on and a front plate or you will be pulled over.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Right. I was tagged for no front license on a '69 Porsche back then and had to deface the front of the car with a plate.

I my earlier days I have had both a 1965 Porsche 356 and a 1968 912 Targa with California plates on the front. Doesn't detract from looks or performance.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.