Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How is the East road into San Juanico
Serenity-now

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 02:41 PM
How is the East road into San Juanico

Hello,
I am headed down to surf some spots in the Scorpion Bay area and I was looking for info on the condition of the East road into San Juanico. I am driving a full size truck with a pop up. I appreciate any current road conditions..........John
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 04:20 PM
To San Juanico

"East Road" exactly meaning what? We came east from La Purisima to Highway 1, intersecting the highway just south of El Rosarito (small café - good food).

This route in is about 35 miles of dirt to San Isidro, then you pick up pavement to La Purisima & on to San Juanico. We found the eastern half of the dirt portion slow, the western half pretty good. Easy to follow but I'd call it a slow road. Washboard most of the first half of dirt. We drive more slowly than most probably. Certainly a 2wd route. Heading east, below.

We believe the rocky shoulders shown in the photo are there so that the folks maintaining the road can add more rocks if it gets too smooth.

John M

[Edited on 6-26-2014 by John M]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 04:33 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Serenity-now

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 04:38 PM

Thanks, thats the road, I havent driven it in 20+ years. Ive done it in VW buses without problems and I have done it in a 4x4 and it took all day so you never know.
Thanks again.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2014 at 09:16 PM
well-traveled

The road appears well traveled though we didn't see but maybe 4 vehicles going toward San Isidro.

As you'd expect, stay on what appears to be the most traveled route. I'd say that the only possible point to go wrong would be about 3/4 of the way to San Isidro - on the Baja Almanac the road right heads toward Tinaja del Burro - you'd stay straight (or not take the road right). There is a little shrine with all kinds of plastic flowers at the "intersection".

John M
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2014 at 07:49 AM

How about the north road to San Juanico, from Laguna San Ignacio? Anyone driven that route recently?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2014 at 10:01 AM

The coastal route thru El Datil is smoother than the inland route that goes by El Cuarenta.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2014 at 12:00 PM

ElCap: If you are looking for the quickest and smoothest, do the road from San Ignacio to El Datil then south thru the salt flats to meet up with the "North" road into San Juanico. I think it's about 3 hours.

ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2014 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
ElCap: If you are looking for the quickest and smoothest, do the road from San Ignacio to El Datil then south thru the salt flats to meet up with the "North" road into San Juanico. I think it's about 3 hours.

Gracias. I've taken that route before, and I intend to take it again next week, probably on July 5 or 6. Just wondering if anyone has been that route as of late?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2014 at 12:12 PM

Doesn't sound like any Nomads have taken it recently, but I bet tons of traveling surfers and local Mexicans have! =)

Enjoy the trip!

bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2014 at 08:20 AM

Is the east road through Purisma a time saver when running back north vs. the south paved road all the way around. Leaving there in late July and want to take the north road but not w/o following someone who's done it. East road sounds like with guidance here and a map should be fairly straightforward and more scenic than the southern paved route.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-29-2014 at 08:25 AM

it'll save you a day. if you go south you get to mulege late in the afternoon. follow the road to purisima oasis and there is only one way from there. you can't get lost. it's actually easier going out cuz there is/was some sketchy uphill basketball sized rocks last time we went that way a few years back.

bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2014 at 12:09 PM

Thanks WWV. We are going in the south way as we are stopping in Loreto for a few days first but am looking to shorten the drive out. Wanting to get to Jardines north in SQ and cross SY the following day. We made it to SQ from SJ two years ago from the south road in a day with 5 kids. This time we'll have 7 rascals. Long day for them but doable. IF I can take off 2-3 hours the better.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2014 at 12:19 PM
southern road

If by the southern paved road you mean heading directly north from Cuidad Insurgentes, I'll tell you this - before you get to the turn to San Javier the "paved" road north is undergoing major reconstruction. At least that's the way we found it in early May. There is probably a 15 to 20 mile section where you are on dirt paralleling the new paving & bridgework. The dirt road surface was really good and from time to time you can drive on the old pavement. Some moderate silt in a couple of areas though not real bad. All in all the dirt parallel road is decent. It would make the drive from Insurgentes to San Juanico much quicker than going in from Highway 1 further north.

John M

[Edited on 6-29-2014 by John M]
huesos
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2014 at 03:07 PM
Thanks John

Your report corrects misinformation here on Bajanomads. The East road has been called abandoned and highly risky. This road is the way I always went in. Before the improvements in the mid eighties, it was possible to take some wrong forks and a few people did. After the federal raised road bed went in, the path became clear. The drive over the Sierra is actually very scenic. It is going to be hotter than blazes though.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 6-30-2014 at 11:02 AM

We did the N. road in May.. Puro mantequia! Paved to the whale camps, then the salt flat dream.. 2 hours from San Ig
Serenity-now

[*] posted on 6-30-2014 at 04:34 PM

I appreciate all of the info. We might try the north road this year. I have some decent gps software (e-32) that I have used with success on some dirt bike rides. It will take the guess work out of which fork in the road to take. If someone here has some time could they give me a short list of ranchos or towns that I should use as waypoints on the north road. Thanks......John
tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 07:09 AM

took N. road last week , salt flats,from san juanico to Ignacio, easy breezy, 2:48 hr.........

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.