BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: PART 1: Helicopter over Baja for 2014 'Trail of Missions' tour, with Cameron Steele
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 12:36 AM
PART 1: Helicopter over Baja for 2014 'Trail of Missions' tour, with Cameron Steele

PART 1:

On Monday night, 10 pm I get a text message from Cameron Steele asking if I would like to ride a helicopter to Baja and back to spend Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with about 50 off road racing greats and their families so I can talk a little about the missions during this televised tour Cameron created and sold the idea to CBS Sports. Oh, and everything is covered, just bring a backpack lightly loaded!

Well, the first thing was to get Baja Angel's okay and then send emails to my customers I had lined up for this week... everything worked out. Baja Angel (Elizabeth) is the most awesome wife (and camper)... many of you have met her and know this already. I am so lucky to have her in my life the past nearly 10 years!

Cameron found out about me from Kevin Ward ('Slider'), who was a producer for Dust to Glory and a Baja racer. Cameron asked Kevin if he knew anyone who knew about the missions... Cameron promotes Baja off road racing and motorcycle riding with his 'Rip to Cabo' annual event and CBS Sports coverage of races, when he isn't in his Trophy Truck. His wife Heidi is also a Trophy Truck racer (she has her own truck). Cameron wanted to promote Baja as more than a race destination, so this was his idea to include wives and children and learn more about Baja history on a summer vacation trip.

Cameron bought 20 copies of our mission book so that one would be in each truck on the run... I guess it was cool to get one of the authors to also be there?!

I actually met Cameron at the Off Road Expo about 10 years ago, but we met again at his shop in San Juan Capistrano about a month ago... following his attempt to drive his Raptor to Mission Santa Maria (he texted me from Baja Cactus for data). Some casual talk about the tour came up, and I actually thought maybe it would happen next year.

As I type this, the day after I flew over 200 miles in a helicopter from Mission San Fernando back to El Cajon, following 3 days of riding with Baja 1000 racers in their Ford Raptors and in a new Jeep JK from San Vicente to near San Fernando via Punta San Carlos, I am still 'abuzz' with what I just experienced.

The biggest thrill was being so welcomed and receiving such hospitality from everyone on the tour. I did so little as time was cut short because of how rough the terrain was and how much time it takes to keep 15 trucks and nearly 50 people moving along and getting camera shots and interviews... plus a couple of mechanical issues.

They are going all the way to Cabo on a 6 day tour and I never heard how it was going to happen. I just saw the itinerary notes for the three days I was with them. Perhaps the details are on the Desert Assassins Facebook page? I have been too busy chilling, working, and spending time with Baja Angel since last night when I got home, to do more than what I have posted here.

I think I will just post photos without a lot of captioning... but please feel free to ask about anything you see or what I may know about the trip. I will leave most names unmentioned, as I don't have permission except from Cameron to share what I experienced, and I really don't want to get anyone's name wrong... as everything happened pretty fast. I will say several people who race and have won races were there as well as off road specialty people, Monster Energy, Fox Shocks, etc. There were at least three cameramen (all young guys), and maybe more as part of the production team creating the action shots for the TV show. Actually I will be surprised if I make any of the cuts, as talking about the missions is hardly 'sports' related, right?

The Raven 4 seat copter at El Cajon when I arrived 12:30pm Tuesday. Pilot is Jim McCoy of 'Adventure Helicopter'. He does Cameron's specials, SCORE TV, and off road race team flying.

Okay, that's the end of my first installment on this epic adventure (for me)... In the next part, I get in Cameron's Raptor in the co-driver seat for the run to Colonet and out to the coast, then south!

[Edited on 10-18-2022 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 06:26 AM

Good stuff David...congrats on the good fortune.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 09:21 AM

what a great adventure. Can't wait to see the rest.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 09:30 AM

Excellent DK, looking forward to more.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 10:08 AM

From the Santa Marta Orphanage (where Cameron's food crew set up lunch service), I ride with Cameron south and the film crew get into the helicopter. One man holds the camera, which is mounted on a stability frame, and an other controls where it points exactly with a remote control that looks like the same as used for RC model cars and planes. The third cameraman rides with us for ground shots.

We head south on Hwy. 1 to Colonet, and on the south side of town we take the graded road to the coast along Arroyo San Rafael.

In the next part, we arrive at Mission Santo Domingo, and I go to 'work'!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 10:23 AM

WAY COOL REPORT THANKS!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 10:27 AM

My pleasure...

I may get some attitude from a few here that I only go to Baja a couple times a year (the past couple of years), so when I do go it has to be pretty special to make up for the low frequency!

What do they say, quality over quantity??? :light:

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 10:34 AM

Cool adventure there David!
DocRey
Nomad

Mood: Cautiously Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 11:14 AM

Way, way cool. Thx. DK
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 05:20 PM

Thanks David. Really enjoyed that... fascinating and informative. Great post!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 05:38 PM
Mission Santo Domingo (1775)

We left Shipwrecks and Cuatro Casas and returned to Hwy. 1 for a dozen miles to the well signed road east 5 miles to the second Dominican founded California mission, Santo Domingo (August 30, 1775) and the second site where extensive ruins have been preserved from the construction dating back to 1798.

The helicopter landed high up on the hill over-looking the mission. Here is where I gave my first 'lecture' on a mission and some mission and El Camino Real details. I hope I didn't flub up too badly... I have not been on TV talking about the missions before... Maybe I won't even make the final cut?

The members of the tour told me after I did fine and they learned a lot from my short talk. Cool!

The sun was behind the big hill west of the mission, so we didn't have great illumination for pictures.

Note helicopter location.

Same wall in 1949:

Leaving Santo Domingo and going back to Hwy. 1 on this new 'high road' with concrete...

Back at Hwy. 1, and a a turn left (south) crossing the Santo Domingo bridge and entering Colonia Vicente Guerrero.

We make a stop at a BFG dealer in San Quintin to replace a rock destroyed All Terrain TA that happened near Laguna Hanson (I think), before I joined the group.

Next stop is the Hotel Mision Santa Maria, formerly Desert Inn, formerly La Pinta, formerly El Presidente San Quintin.

Stay Tuned!

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 05:55 PM

LUCKY YOU DAVID!!!

WHAT A COOL AND AWESOME OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU! ANY OF US WOULD HAVE LIKED TO TAKE THIS TRIP AND MEET THESE GUYS. BEING A BAJA ADDICT REALLY PAID OFF FOR YOU THIS TRIP!

JEALOUS...MIGUELAMO :tumble: :yes: :spingrin: :yes:

Nomad Amigos...Here\'s hoping you all have safe Baja travels, amazing sunrises, sunny days, comforting breezes, beautiful sunsets, tasty tacos, cold cervezas and frosty margaritas!!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
LUCKY YOU DAVID!!!

WHAT A COOL AND AWESOME OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU! ANY OF US WOULD HAVE LIKED TO TAKE THIS TRIP AND MEET THESE GUYS. BEING A BAJA ADDICT REALLY PAID OFF FOR YOU THIS TRIP!

JEALOUS...MIGUELAMO :tumble: :yes: :spingrin: :yes:

Never give up... and don't let the haters get you down. This is what you and I were going to do with Viva Baja Tours... go to cool sites and serve great food... our idea was just 13 years too soon, perhaps?

The people in this group were all first class and loads of fun.

Here is Cameron's Facebook photo of me at the mission...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 10:13 PM
On to San Quintin...

Once a new BFG All Terrain TA was obtained in San Quintin, we headed on to the hotel... There was some road widening work going on just south of Km. 0 by the Baja Jardines road... This was where the newest section of Hwy. 1 was built in 1973 and at only 19 feet wide.

We stay south on the older route, where the newer one headed for the hillside (to avoid an area of repeated washouts)... When we arrive at the ruins of the first Parador along the Transpeninsular Highway, we turn west...

A Parador was a rest stop with Pemex station, cafeteria, restrooms, showers, gas station, trailer park and all but one had a hotel. This was done because there was no facilities for highway tourists in central Baja when the new highway was opened.

Paradors were located at San Quintin, Cataviña, L.A. Bay junction (north of Punta Prieta), Parallelo 28° (near Guerrero Negro), and San Quintin. The Parador Punta Prieta was the only one without a hotel.

Our hotel was one of the original El Presidente hotels attached with the Parador, completed in 1974.

We enjoy dinner, check Internet (I post a note on Baja Nomad), and Cameron has all 50 of us each introduce ourselves after dinner.

The next morning, we have a short meeting before we leave. I ride in Racer Ron's Raptor and we are in for lot's of fun...

Stay tuned for the next part, with fun on a giant sand dune!

David K
Honored Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 6-28-2014 at 10:57 PM
FMM for air travelers

I almost forgot to tell you about how the process is for private pilots and their passengers... at Ensenada!

We land, and once the copter motor cools, shut it down and walk into the little terminal building. The first desk we walk up to looks at our passport, then sends us to the comandante's office (which is mostly for the pilot to show the papers on the plane/ copter). Next we go to the ?? office, next door... who looks at passport then sends us to the INM office on the other side of the comandante's.

The INM officer has the World Cup on a little TV (of course). Says it is $28 (dollars)... and I ask him even if it is for just the three days. He smiles and tells me the free 7 day FMM is only for land travelers. Of interest, he wrote in 180 days on the FMM... and it is a different looking FMM than the one we get driving.

When we flew out on Thursday, we had to repeat the process seeing all 4 people inside the terminal, one at a time... and there is a $5 dollar FMM return fee when air travelers leave. Total tax for flying passengers, $33.

The injured Jeep owner, Casey (who flew back with us) was charged $36 (he did not have a driving FMM, or one on him) to leave Mexico. There was no other punishment or scolding for him not having an FMM.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 11:31 PM

DK - Great trip report, great photos! Congrats on the opportunity to present on the Baja Missions - your specialty!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2014 at 11:37 PM
Link to Part 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
DK - Great trip report, great photos! Congrats on the opportunity to present on the Baja Missions - your specialty!

Thanks Ken! I will try and post all the photos of Casey's Jeep for you, as well!

I just posted PART 2 (at least the first installment of it)... http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74342

El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 03:38 PM

Thanks for the best-est in reports, David. What a great trip!

... hmmm. Now I want a copter... and a truck or two....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 07:02 PM

You are welcome Vern... :)

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 08:01 PM

Very cool trip, David! A group of us in buggies (and 1 truck) were down there the 23rd to the 30th and went to Scorpion Bay and back. We were keeping an eye out for you guys, but only saw a couple of the Raptors at one point. My trip report is coming soon!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.