Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Handicap hotel/motel on Mex. hwy 1
DT.IN.LB.BAJA
Junior Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 7-15-2014 at 02:00 PM
Handicap hotel/motel on Mex. hwy 1

I am looking for any handicap hotel/motels down Mex. 1 from El Rosario to Loreto, if anyone has seen anything or had experience, please post and share with those of us who have family in need. Thank you!!
DT.IN.LB.BAJA
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2014 at 02:16 PM

We just came down hwy 1 the last few days and stopped at all we saw, some had access to get into the room but not a wide enough bathroom door for a wheel chair, need a minimum of 28" all we saw were 24-26" and they will not work. We talked to Maria at Tourista hotel in El Rosario and she will be replacing a bathroom door an the next few months.
Thanks for any input you may have!!
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2014 at 02:24 PM

Try Liz at El Tiburon Casitas in Loreto. She has an apartment she rents as a room that would work.

http://www.eltiburoncasitas.com/

I travelled with my mother in a wheelchair for 25 years - Mexico and Europe - 1971 - 1996.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-15-2014 at 05:15 PM

Did you see any of the new rooms at Baja Cactus in El Rosario, the big wooden doors may be wide enough and some of the bathrooms are bigger than others... check out the rooms on each side of the lobby (101, 102) perhaps? The 4 rooms around the lobby are the largest single bed rooms, I believe.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-15-2014 at 06:36 PM

David,

I thought that there were steps up into the office at Baja Cactus...and a step from parking lot to the office....handicap access requires more than a wide door to a washroom....should have bathroom handrails, seat in shower, etc.

I grew up with a mother in a wheelchair due to polio she contracted in 1953 when I was two. In my years growing up, people stared at her when we went for family drives to picnic in parks in the city, and on the few occasions she went to department stores to shop (VERY rarely).

These days there is a much healthier social attitude to folks with physical limitations:saint:

Access from vehicle to a room is the first hurdle....door widths, handrails, etc follow as considerations.

DT in LB,

Sorry, don't know.

[Edited on 7-16-2014 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2014 at 07:20 PM

Also there is that neat new hotel/motel at the crossing of Insurgentes and Constitucion that Motoged stayed at last January or so that would probably work.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 12:05 AM

Ged, I know to the office are steps... but the rooms downstairs may be less challenging... one step... Antonio will need to advise on this. I really don't recall handicap designs at any Baja motel (ramps, handrails, extra wide doors, etc.).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 05:51 AM

I stayed at the former La Pinta at the bird monument just north of Guerro Negro on the way down, seems like I remember that they had some typical Mexican handicap accommodations. I liked the hotel and will likely stop there again, I'll look closer and report back.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
Also there is that neat new hotel/motel at the crossing of Insurgentes and Constitucion that Motoged stayed at last January or so that would probably work.

Mula ....thanks for the reminder/tip.

DT in LB: Here is a link to a very nice (clean, safe, friendly) motel in Ciudad Insurgentes that I would consider very accessible for wheelchair:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71562

Don't believe everything you think....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
David,

I thought that there were steps up into the office at Baja Cactus...and a step from parking lot to the office....handicap access requires more than a wide door to a washroom....should have bathroom handrails, seat in shower, etc.

I grew up with a mother in a wheelchair due to polio she contracted in 1953 when I was two. In my years growing up, people stared at her when we went for family drives to picnic in parks in the city, and on the few occasions she went to department stores to shop (VERY rarely).

These days there is a much healthier social attitude to folks with physical limitations:saint:

Access from vehicle to a room is the first hurdle....door widths, handrails, etc follow as considerations.

DT in LB,

Sorry, don't know.

[Edited on 7-16-2014 by motoged]

Obviously, DK continues to pimp for Antonio.

You are correct that with the dirt parking lot, even the old rooms, with narrow doors will not work for someone in a wheelchair. I cannot imagine anyone in a wheelchair being able to navigate the property, let alone go to dinner.

I have no idea about door widths, but at least the Jardines is on the same level as the parking lot.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2014 at 05:58 PM

Pimp? He is a good man and helps everyone... I don't put down your promoting of Jardines... and I have not said anything bad about it.

Baja Cactus is a first class roadside inn with ridiculous low prices. Since it is fills up easily, Antonio gets respect from more people than just me and Neal Johns, etc.

Here, see what Baja Bound (the sponsor of this web site) says about Baja Cactus: http://www.bajabound.com/hotels/baja/elrosario/bajacactus.ph...

CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 07:27 AM
Here's one of the best we've found-

http://www.hotellavilla.biz/sanquintin/

They're in San Quintin on the east side of HWY 1 at the south end of town. They have one room, I think it's #108, that is ground floor and without curbs or steps to get in. Doors are wide. Bano has bars where needed and a shower with a seat. And for no extra charge the room has an attached separate room for the caregiver with extra bed and extra TV....in effect a two bedroom unit. Naomi honors reservations via email. Their GREAT restaurant is wheelchair friendly. No pets in this wing but the other wing takes pets but not sure if the pet wing has handicapped rooms.

Things are expensive, but at least we get a free trip around the sun once a year
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 07:43 AM

I hate to say this, but Baja is the most "handicapped unfriendly" place I've ever been to. I know there are worse, but this place is bad.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 10:46 AM
Pimp

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Pimp? He is a good man and helps everyone... I don't put down your promoting of Jardines... and I have not said anything bad about it.

Baja Cactus is a first class roadside inn with ridiculous low prices. Since it is fills up easily, Antonio gets respect from more people than just me and Neal Johns, etc.

Here, see what Baja Bound (the sponsor of this web site) says about Baja Cactus: http://www.bajabound.com/hotels/baja/elrosario/bajacactus.ph...

Granted Baja Cactus is a good roadside inn and Antonio may be a Good Man. but by your constant Harping on it is enough to make me keep from going there. I was stopping there before I ever heard of D.K. :no::no::barf:

Sadly Handicap acess in Baja is more of a afterthought than a practice. could be some of the reason you see handicapped people begging on the street. Different World Different Attitude.

[Edited on 7-17-2014 by J.P.]
DT.IN.LB.BAJA
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 05:41 PM

I wanted to share this with the group, I have been talking with Maria at Turista Motel in El Rosario will have a handicap room with a wide door bathroom this fall.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.