Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Healthcare options on a Visitante visa
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 12:42 PM

Yes, it doesn't hurt to tell INM for how many days you want a tourist visa.

You MUST return your tourist visa/permit not only when you're flying out, but also when driving out or walking out. This is the law. If it is physically difficult to drop it off on our way out, then you must mail it to INM. Though, tourists have been ignoring this law for years, without much consequences.

[Edited on 7-20-2014 by Alm]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Most offices do not require a {resident} Visa

One those things that are not supposed to happen. But, as usual with Mexico, what is not supposed to happen, happens :)...

I can't open the official fine print of SEGURO from my location. From what I read in their rules for Distrito Federal, there exist different "modelos de afiliación" - eligible groups of enrollment.

Anyway, before going into eligibility and documents required, at the very beginning they use term "residente". A lawyer - which I am not - would hopefully offer better explanations, but from where I'm standing, tourist is a "visitante", not "residente". The office didn't ask about resident status, alright, but they required CURP. Correct me if I'm wrong, a CURP purports that a person is a resident.

Ah, what the heck, could be a loophole in their laws. Wouldn't be the first time.
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 04:13 PM
tourist permit return on leaving?

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Yes, it doesn't hurt to tell INM for how many days you want a tourist visa.

You MUST return your tourist visa/permit not only when you're flying out, but also when driving out or walking out. This is the law. If it is physically difficult to drop it off on our way out, then you must mail it to INM. Though, tourists have been ignoring this law for years, without much consequences.

[Edited on 7-20-2014 by Alm]

Agent in Mexicali told me when I asked about going to the states for a couple of days, to get prescriptions etc. to not bother turning it in. He did not even mention turning it in for longer absences.
I think he viewed it as extra work, or people would just come and go in "7 day increments."

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 08:36 PM

The following is the best description in English I have found of SP, and it may help in the present discussion.

http://jointlearningnetwork.org/content/seguro-popular

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
Agent in Mexicali told me when I asked about going to the states for a couple of days, to get prescriptions etc. to not bother turning it in. He did not even mention turning it in for longer absences.
I think he viewed it as extra work, or people would just come and go in "7 day increments."

Another agent told another tourist that he didn't need a tourist card if going to San Quintin for a few days. You can hear odd things from them sometimes. Yes, they are unwilling to enforce their own laws. Big news :). And then somebody decides to enforce it - when some particularly educated agent would suddenly realize that computers do keep track of those FMM stubs, duh! - and tell unfortunate tourist to pay $US 200, or 400, or 800, depending on number of days passed since expiration. Price is officially negotiable, the idea is that better to get something than nothing, and not to kill that goose yet. Doesn't happen often though. They don't want to kill the toursim.

I don't understand about "7 day increments". Law requires you to get the card if you're staying within the border zone more than 72 hours. Beyond the border zone you are required to have a tourist card from the day one. Again, this is what is "required". Other than fly-outs, they may never ask you to produce it. Of the last 9 or 10 ground crossings, by bus and car, I only had to show this card 2 times.

[Edited on 7-21-2014 by Alm]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 10:36 PM

Pescador - it's a good summary on SEGURO, thanks.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 06:46 AM
Probabilities

Quote:
Originally posted by pauldavidmena

That's part of it, even though both of us are in good health and in our mid-50s.

Sounds like the chances you'll need medical services are pretty slim. Certainly less than someone in their mid-70s with a heart condition of some sort.

Of course accidents, as opposed to illness, happen to all, maybe.

It's a gamble.

Just wondering if people think along those lines.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:
Originally posted by pauldavidmena

That's part of it, even though both of us are in good health and in our mid-50s.

Sounds like the chances you'll need medical services are pretty slim. Certainly less than someone in their mid-70s with a heart condition of some sort.

Of course accidents, as opposed to illness, happen to all, maybe.

It's a gamble.

Just wondering if people think along those lines.

Always - my maternal grandfather died at 46. I'm trying to do my part by getting regular check-ups, eating healthy food and not smoking. The future isn't guaranteed to anyone, so it's best to live it now. :yes:

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 07:04 AM

I have been flying out of Tijuana for the last couple of years to my Mexican destinations. The tourist visa has always been good for 180 days. My trips have always been 1 week trips. I have always reused the visa within the 180 day period when possible. They never have asked for it back when I have flown back into tij. Why would they? I could just be visiting TJ for a couple of days and flying back somewhere. Out of all those trips they only asked me once to even see it. YMMV.

If you fly out of the US I would think this is completely different since the visa is included in the price if the airfare and is surrendered when you return to the states.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 09:56 AM

In any case, with the horror stories I have been reading, don't go to Mexico without $20.000 on your credit card in case of an emergency or have Mexican insurance.
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 10:28 AM
7 day increments?

Thought he assumed cheap americans would just get a free one for 7 days, overstay, and at some future crossing get another free one. We are talking about someone who is close to the border and crossing is not a big time expenditure.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow

Another agent told another tourist that he didn't need a tourist card if going to San Quintin for a few days. You can hear odd things from them sometimes. Yes, they are unwilling to enforce their own laws. Big news :). And then somebody decides to enforce it - when some particularly educated agent would suddenly realize that computers do keep track of those FMM stubs, duh! - and tell unfortunate tourist to pay $US 200, or 400, or 800, depending on number of days passed since expiration. Price is officially negotiable, the idea is that better to get something than nothing, and not to kill that goose yet. Doesn't happen often though. They don't want to kill the toursim.

I don't understand about "7 day increments". Law requires you to get the card if you're staying within the border zone more than 72 hours. Beyond the border zone you are required to have a tourist card from the day one. Again, this is what is "required". Other than fly-outs, they may never ask you to produce it. Of the last 9 or 10 ground crossings, by bus and car, I only had to show this card 2 times.

[Edited on 7-21-2014 by Alm]

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 12:14 PM

Ah, yes, I've heard of that 7-day FMM for free. But this is - I think - only if you stay within the border zone. No FMM for the first 3 days in the border zone, free FMM up to 7 days. Not sure how many "cheap Americans" would do this, considering inconvenience and cost of trips that they would have to make every 7 days. $US 23 is amount small enough, if somebody can't afford it, they shouldn't go for anything more than a day-trip to Tijuana and Rosarito.

Back to the topic :) - I think there is quite a lot of gamblers that are going in without travel medical. Some Canadians do that. Canadian Medicare covers 100% of emergency treatment. In theory, unlimited hospital stay and medications. The caveat is that they cover it up to Canadian Medicare limits that are a bit lower than average US hospital. Enough to cover the cost of Mex public hospital, but I wouldn't risk going with this to a private hospital.

Some others keep only evac plan, saying (and I agree) that going to a "clinica" in a small place like, say, St. Rosalia, is a waste of time. The problem with evac plan is - besides a requirement to be 99 miles away from "main home" at the time of injury or illness - is that Baja is such a huge place. Small airports are closed in the night. Some other airports are not big enough for providers like Med Jet. If ask Pescador, he'll tell you more. And such a life-saving flight is a VERY slow thing, may easily take 12-14 hours in a day time in a major town with big airport like La Paz or Loreto, counting from the time of the first phone call to landing NOB, plus some time in traffic to get to the hospital. Booking the flight, going through border formalities, airport transfers etc. In the evening or on a weekend few hundred miles away from major airport - make it a day or two.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.