Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Rip to Cabo on TV today - 7/20
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 09:22 AM
Rip to Cabo on TV today - 7/20

CBS sports network at 4:00 pm (Verizon in LA) - check your local listings.

JohnM
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 11:31 AM

Thanks John. Also the Baja 500 is at 6pm PT on CBSSN.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 12:04 PM

Thanks John... When I was at Cameron's shop he showed me some of the motorcycles that went to the bottom of the sea during the failed attempt to ferry them from Mulegé across to Punta Concepción!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

o3dave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 05:13 PM

Good show. Worth a watch. If you read this Cameron Steele. I am available next year!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 05:16 PM

I'd like to know a little more about the trail out of El Patrocino to Mulege.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 05:29 PM
Patracino to Mulege

took that route so many years ago I can't remember. Guess I'd be no help. John
SC2BAJA

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 08:42 PM

o3dave
Check out the rip to cabo site. Only a handful of 'fresh fish' are allowed in each year. Message them, Cameron is always looking to share the magic with baja lovers and first timers.

TW-
The boys say Patrocinio to Mulege is some of the gnarliest and most remote baja. Big cliffs and narrow roads. It also sounds like it is some of the most beautiful virgin baja there is!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 08:44 PM

How do you get to Mike's Sky Bar by riding? Where would you start and how far? What's the ride like?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 08:45 PM

Great show even for us non-bike riders.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 07:14 AM

Looked like a lot of fun. :yes:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 08:16 AM

Very well done
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
How do you get to Mike's Sky Bar by riding? Where would you start and how far? What's the ride like?

If you mean Mikes Sky Ranch the turn off is at KM137/138 on hwy 3 each of Valle la Trinidad. The turn off is well marked and the hotel/bar is about 21 miles.

[Edited on 7-21-2014 by TW]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SC2BAJA

TW-
The boys say Patrocinio to Mulege is some of the gnarliest and most remote baja. Big cliffs and narrow roads. It also sounds like it is some of the most beautiful virgin baja there is!

I've been from Patrocino to Mulege by way of San Juan de Las Pilas in 2007. We were into Las Pilas in April, See trip report at http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=73500
but in the show they say the route they took started as a good 2 track and then turned into a poor 2 track. For the past 3 years there is no 2 track after Las Pilas only a rough single track. I'm thinking maybe they found a route by way of El Datil in the almanac.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Originally posted by JZ

If you mean Mikes Sky Ranch the turn off is at KM133/134 on hwy 3 each of Valle la Trinidad. The turn off is well marked and the hotel/bar is about 21 miles.

Right in the middle of the peninsula, between Colonet and San Felipe:

Here's a web page I made of our drive from the Pacific (San Quintin) to the Gulf (San Felipe) via Mike's Sky Rancho. Detailed road log included: http://vivabaja.com/905/

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 11:37 AM

enjoyed it a lot. As a non rider. Wonder what the all in fee is to do the ride? He ain't doing it just to be cool - has to be a profit line there someplace. And, why not??

What's up with HP ranch theses days? Still running those buggies from there for groups?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 01:37 PM
Horsepower & buggies

We were there maybe two years ago and the Wide Open buggy operation had moved into a place south of Ensenada.

Then we ran into the Wide Open again guys at (I think) the Off Road Expo - still in business but I believe their Baja interests are focused more on "renting" rides for the Baja races.

A few years ago when they were still at Horsepower Ranch they gave our small group quite a shop tour - besides fixing my Lowrance at no charge.

Pretty darned good chow at HP Ranch too!

John M

[Edited on 7-21-2014 by John M]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
enjoyed it a lot. As a non rider. Wonder what the all in fee is to do the ride? He ain't doing it just to be cool - has to be a profit line there someplace. And, why not??

A friend of mine said it cost about $4500+/- and you bring your own bike. It's an invitation only type thing as they only want experienced riders considering some of the terrain they go over.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 11:02 AM

counts me out, Thx TW.

Desert Bull and Wild Bill used to charter groups, many knew each other but I think if you had the bux and could demonstrate reasonable skill and brain sense you could sign up. Not sure what they're up to now except Bill doing race relay for BFG and Bull has much internet biz, magazines and such.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
fudscrud
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I'd like to know a little more about the trail out of El Patrocino to Mulege.

This is a beautiful canyon with high cliffs, water and a few ranchos scattered along it.
This canyon runs on the north side of a small mtn range while the canyon with Rancho San Juan de La Pila is on the south side. They meet up just past San Marcos where it gets super steep and loose (rocky) heading over the mtns to Mulege.

I rode the north canyon in April last year and the south canyon this "April Fools Ride".
This year after arriving at Rcho de La Pila and meeting Jorge and Maria, the most "salt of the earth" people you will ever meet we proceeded east with Jorge "guiding" us for about 1.5 miles on his horse. It was so "blown out" and over grown from a previous hurricane it made it extremely difficult to navigate and ride.
Page 3 on last years ride report has a couple of photos of the north canyon route. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922187
The route I took to El Patrocino is a little wanky as you will see but I was "exploring":bounce:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 01:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I asked Tim Morton about a road around Las Pilas and he said one was made a few years ago to help the ranchers. The road past Las Pilas was too bad to mess with.

We were at Las Pilas in April and I was sure they told us their names were Jesus and Guadalupe. Maybe I'm wrong or misunderstood them. I've asked one of our spanish speaking friends who was with me to clearify it.

Here is a picture of them

The old sign
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.